Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Starting a business

Starting a business

Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

TheGriffin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting a business

Does anyone have advice on starting business in America?
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting a business

Originally Posted by TheGriffin
Does anyone have advice on starting business in America?
For others reading this thread, there are more details in this closed thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812785

He's going to get the visa sorted out through an Immigrant Attorney, so please keep this discussion on the business aspect alone.

Thank you,
Rene
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

She *Ahem* :P

I am just looking for general business advice. Any experiences.
Looking at cafe type industry. Any advice on locations? I have been looking at Seattle.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

She *Ahem* :P
Oops, sorry.

Rene
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't a business owner in Seattle, but I did live there for a few. My only piece of advice, which is rather obvious, is to be very selective on location. There are some very pricey areas that I imagine would be quite costly to run a business in. But I know you need to weigh/balance that against the areas that may give better revenue.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

I was looking around Pioneer Square, Downtown area, near the art museum...
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You'll probably need an LLC (a form of corporation), which is easy and cheap to form, and limits your liability in the event of bankruptcy or being sued. Just go to the secretary of state's website for state that your business will be located in and register the business name, print out the form, sign and return, with the appropriate fee, which will probably be about $75-$100 for the first year, and $200/yr thereafter. You'll then need a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) for your business, which you apply for from the IRS.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

I have a feeling i would have to do a mini course, or something, from what i know there is a lot of differences between US and UK business wise, Iv also read that some things can vary from state to state too!

And with a good ol' bit of stereotyping i would really like to feel safe against being sued. Ha!

IRS
LLC
Secretary of state's website
register business name
Taxpayer ID Number TIN

All noted... Thanks!
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

IRS
Useful link i found, they seem to explain a lot.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Good bit of advice someone mentioned else where, when looking for a area that's looking to be up and coming is move into somewhere that has a new Starbucks, because they spend a lot of money in trying to find decent areas to corner the market.

Bit double edged of a sword if you're trying to compete, but still fairly sound in idea.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Good bit of advice someone mentioned else where, when looking for a area that's looking to be up and coming is move into somewhere that has a new Starbucks, because they spend a lot of money in trying to find decent areas to corner the market.

Bit double edged of a sword if you're trying to compete, but still fairly sound in idea.
True, because like McDonald's and leaders in their niche, some people will patronize any competition to the market leader. I actually like Starbucks, but will preferentially patronize almost any competing business. Some people just plain don't like Starbucks.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Starbucks obviously would be a problem, they are like an infestation, though maybe it is a good thing. It is 'hip' to go some place quirky rather than Starbucks, and from what i know they arent a nice place to hang out.
I would like to make a place that would be nice to go to, friendly, not conveyer belt style coffee. Though that then meets another double edge, money isnt in having people sit and drink, its quick to go service.
I would like to support local bands by having music evenings. A big reason why i would like to be in a young artsy area.
Or club nights, like chess, crafts, art. Bring the community together and such.

Also back to Startbucks, i wouldnt be having such a large coffee selection as them, i know coffee is the drink of choice over in the US so obviously i will have it, but i would be specializing in... Wait for it... -Drum roll- Tea! Ha!
My coffee will be good, i can make a mean cup! Id go with a small selection of different coffees. Have a very good espresso machine, high quality beans. All would be available to buy beans for home too.
Food wise, i will hunt down local produce, make some deals in the markets, if these things are about of course. My Seattle friend knows all of that though. If Seattle is where i go in the end.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
some people will patronize any competition to the market leader. I actually like Starbucks, but will preferentially patronize almost any competing business. Some people just plain don't like Starbucks.
Oh good!
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Something like this one? http://www.morningsinparis.com/
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:52 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Starbucks obviously would be a problem, they are like an infestation, though maybe it is a good thing. It is 'hip' to go some place quirky rather than Starbucks, and from what i know they arent a nice place to hang out.
I would like to make a place that would be nice to go to, friendly, not conveyer belt style coffee. Though that then meets another double edge, money isnt in having people sit and drink, its quick to go service.
I would like to support local bands by having music evenings. A big reason why i would like to be in a young artsy area.
Or club nights, like chess, crafts, art. Bring the community together and such.

Also back to Startbucks, i wouldnt be having such a large coffee selection as them, i know coffee is the drink of choice over in the US so obviously i will have it, but i would be specializing in... Wait for it... -Drum roll- Tea! Ha!
My coffee will be good, i can make a mean cup! Id go with a small selection of different coffees. Have a very good espresso machine, high quality beans. All would be available to buy beans for home too.
Food wise, i will hunt down local produce, make some deals in the markets, if these things are about of course. My Seattle friend knows all of that though. If Seattle is where i go in the end.
A good friend of mine had two coffee (independent) shops in Houston and now just has one. The one she sold was struggling and interestingly enough, it had a drive thru and the one that has remained has not. Not trying to put you off, but it is a hard business to run (at least here and IMO). I think you've hit the nail on the head when you said that the important thing is footfall. My friend has a great environment, but that means people don't buy much but sit there for hours and use free wifi etc, which obviously as a business owner, isn't what's going to make you profitable.

The other thing I'd note specifically on the coffee front is that a lot of people here seem to like choice. In fact, when I first came over I was completely overwhelmed in many a coffee shop (franchise or otherwise) by the sheer number of questions being thrown at me; what type of coffee, what type of roast, what type of milk, what size, any special requirements (extra hot, extra milk, the list is endless but you get the picture). Although I hated it (still do) it seems to be what a large percentage of the population is looking for (I'll have a large, super skinny soy vanilla bean latte - or whatever!)

I don't own a business but did set up and run an office (including a separate LLC entity). All I can say is that there is a ton of bureaucracy here...! So many requirements and record keeping to be done it's crazy.

Don't overlook medical insurance costs. (Search on here and you'll see plenty of threads).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.