Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Starsky and Hutch

Starsky and Hutch

Old Mar 8th 2004, 3:01 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Starsky and Hutch

Avoid at all costs this movie, it is without a doubt one of the worst movies it has been my misfortune to see. I am considering writing to Miramax and demanding 2 hours of life back!

If it wasn't for the fact I volunteered to take 3 teenage girls from the neighborhood I would of walked out.

Another thing to avoid if at all possible is having 3 fourteen year old girls in your car, if I had a dollar for everytime the word retard was used I would be rich (riveting conversation of "your a retard", "no, your retareded", "no, your retarded" etc, etc - a bit like a PA argument but without the words due process thrown in liberally (and I bet thats the only time liberal and pa have been used in the same sentence)). Just out of interest, how do you parents with teenage children survive, I was in the car with them for less than 15 minutes each way and I was ready to drive off the bridge into the Cape Fear River with all on board!

Patrick
Old Mar 8th 2004, 3:25 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starsky and Hutch

Originally posted by Patrick
Avoid at all costs this movie, it is without a doubt one of the worst movies it has been my misfortune to see. I am considering writing to Miramax and demanding 2 hours of life back!

If it wasn't for the fact I volunteered to take 3 teenage girls from the neighborhood I would of walked out.

Another thing to avoid if at all possible is having 3 fourteen year old girls in your car, if I had a dollar for everytime the word retard was used I would be rich (riveting conversation of "your a retard", "no, your retareded", "no, your retarded" etc, etc - a bit like a PA argument but without the words due process thrown in liberally (and I bet thats the only time liberal and pa have been used in the same sentence)). Just out of interest, how do you parents with teenage children survive, I was in the car with them for less than 15 minutes each way and I was ready to drive off the bridge into the Cape Fear River with all on board!

Patrick
The trick is to remember how you were when you were a teenager. I know I was intolerable, and loved every minute.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

However, the original first series is now out on DVD. Five disks, 23 episodes, $35.

Takes me back a bit......
Old Mar 8th 2004, 2:44 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ScousePete
However, the original first series is now out on DVD. Five disks, 23 episodes, $35.

Takes me back a bit......
Saw that on sale yesterday, was very tempted.

Another thing to avoid if at all possible is having 3 fourteen year old girls in your car, if I had a dollar for everytime the word retard was used I would be rich (riveting conversation of "your a retard", "no, your retareded", "no, your retarded" etc, etc -

Patrick
Yeah but how many times did these girls say "like"?
Possibly the most irritating thing about living over here is the overuse of this word.

Last edited by tony_2003; Mar 8th 2004 at 2:47 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

Only Americans who grew up watching the original series will understand this movie. American humor is different then British humor.

I thought it was HILLARIOUS.

"Do it! DO IT!!"

-= nav =-
Old Mar 8th 2004, 6:55 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by supernav
Only Americans who grew up watching the original series will understand this movie. American humor is different then British humor.

"Do it! DO IT!!"

-= nav =-
FYI, Starsky and Hutch was broadcast in the UK when it was originally broadcast in the US so there's a generation of Brits who DID grow up watching the original series.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 8:08 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up with the original, yes the humour is different, there is non. I went with 2 americans my age and they thought it was terrible too!

If you grew up with Starsky and Hutch you should be appauled! It wasn't a parody of S and H, or a homage as they redefined the characters. It tried to parody the seventies by making them wear silly clothes but it still wasn't funny. Owen Wilson acted the same as he did as Hansel from Zoolander and the guy from I spy. Ben Stiller was terrible. There was no plot and for a comedy no jokes or laughs.

If you grew up with original, apart from the names being the same, please tell me how the hell it was like S and H, either in parody form or homage form.

American humor is different, but by golly for the most part we get it. This is 2 hours of cak, our cinema got out at the same time as the passion and they looked a lot happier than we did, and we had supposdly seen a comedy. No adult in the cinema I was in laughed, the 3 14 year old girls thought it was funny!

Patrick

"Do it! DO IT!!"

-= nav =-
Old Mar 8th 2004, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

I don't know where you're getting your info, but everyone i talk to, including revies i've read -- have totally LOVED this flick. If it wasn't for Christ, this movie would easily have been #1. I suspect a sequel soon.

-= nav =-
Old Mar 8th 2004, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I don't know where you're getting your info, but everyone i talk to, including revies i've read -- have totally LOVED this flick. If it wasn't for Christ, this movie would easily have been #1. I suspect a sequel soon.

-= nav =-
Of course there will be a sequel, does not mena there should be though.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 2:57 am
Pagan Sex God

-= nav =-
I on the other hand haven't read a good review or met someone who liked it, we need a third person on the NG to go and see it.

here is a review I found that echoes how I feel

"Holy shit, who thinks making fun of the 70s is still funny? Maybe people who watch a lot of VH1, but they don't count because they are mostly retarded, shut-ins and the same people who bring crumb cakes to work. Starsky and Hutch is one of a long string of really shitty comedies whose whole point is to show us exaggerated styles from the 70s and say, "Huh huh, isn't that funny?" No, you ****ing assholes, it's not. Not if you can't add anything to it. If looking at outdated afros and macrame were funny, I would dig down to the bottom of the pile of magazines at the Arvada Barbers and get my giggles for free. What's funny is going beyond putting wide lapels and disco dancing on the screen and making a ****ing joke. I mean, if I thought it were funny just pointing out someone's weaknesses"

Patrick
Old Mar 9th 2004, 12:43 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

-= nav =-
Maybe supernav is a 14 yr old (or at least a teenager). This would explain why he/she enjoyed the film so much...
Old Mar 9th 2004, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I on the other hand haven't read a good review or met someone who liked it, we need a third person on the NG to go and see it.

here is a review I found that echoes how I feel

"Holy shit, who thinks making fun of the 70s is still funny? Maybe people who watch a lot of VH1, but they don't count because they are mostly retarded, shut-ins and the same people who bring crumb cakes to work. Starsky and Hutch is one of a long string of really shitty comedies whose whole point is to show us exaggerated styles from the 70s and say, "Huh huh, isn't that funny?" No, you ****ing assholes, it's not. Not if you can't add anything to it. If looking at outdated afros and macrame were funny, I would dig down to the bottom of the pile of magazines at the Arvada Barbers and get my giggles for free. What's funny is going beyond putting wide lapels and disco dancing on the screen and making a ****ing joke. I mean, if I thought it were funny just pointing out someone's weaknesses"

Patrick
Barry Norman has really changed since he signed for sky tv !