British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   standard of living usa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/standard-living-usa-306801/)

anotherlimey Jun 7th 2005 6:11 pm

Re: standard of living usa

Originally Posted by Dant3
I'm glazing over at my desk experiencing a mild seizure as I try to imagine what 2000 sq feet looks like...my apartment, plus the neighbours apartment, add the yard and the garage and part of the street...all in one house. I'm drooling on myself.

It can't be that big, or my apartment owners are lying. My 1 bedroom is apparently 750 sq. ft.

Conway7 Jun 7th 2005 6:13 pm

I'm glazing over at my desk experiencing a mild seizure as I try to imagine what 2000 sq feet looks like...my apartment, plus the neighbours apartment, add the yard and the garage and part of the street...all in one house. I'm drooling on myself.

You'll get there like most Brits do, including all the old farts who made a killing in the UK property market, after eons of toil in the workhouse!

What do you think about Bob Geldof? I reckon he'd make a good tramp if he smartened himself up a bit!!

dbj1000 Jun 7th 2005 8:32 pm

...then I'll keep quiet and not say a single word about our 4000sq.ft place, eh?

[edit] Just to hastily point out that it cost the same as our crappy 800sq.ft two-up-two-down in the pits of Surrey.

Dant3 Jun 7th 2005 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000
...then I'll keep quiet and not say a single word about our 4000sq.ft place, eh?

[edit] Just to hastily point out that it cost the same as our crappy 800sq.ft two-up-two-down in the pits of Surrey.

And that's why when people say "Why the **** would anyone want to live in Texas" I direct them to realtor.com"

ImHere Jun 7th 2005 9:22 pm

Think of all the cleaning...its a pain keeping ours clean...screw another 2000 sq ft to do.

Dan725 Jun 7th 2005 10:33 pm

I knew it, things are bigger in Dallas :)

Thats why I was looking at what you can get over there - anoter 1300 sq ft on top of our place living in the burbs...for the same money

evoal2003 Jun 8th 2005 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Dan725
I knew it, things are bigger in Dallas :)

Thats why I was looking at what you can get over there - anoter 1300 sq ft on top of our place living in the burbs...for the same money

All this time looking at size..... :rolleyes:

:D :D

Celsius Jun 8th 2005 1:09 am

Originally Posted by evoal2003

There'll be talk about cars next! :p

Celsius

evoal2003 Jun 8th 2005 1:17 am

ImHere Jun 8th 2005 2:09 am

Interesting.

dbj1000 Jun 8th 2005 2:20 am

:)

It's infectious

Pulaski Jun 11th 2005 2:21 am

.... Just to hastily point out that it cost the same as our crappy 800sq.ft two-up-two-down in the pits of Surrey.

Mine experience has been similar: four times the house, fifty times the land, for half the price - Wimbledon to NC. :D

Dan725 Jun 11th 2005 7:03 pm

Well, of course there are other factors, but faced with the choice of living in shed in San Francisco or a mansion in Dallas for the same price, I know where I'd rather be! ;)

evoal2003 Jun 11th 2005 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725
Well, of course there are other factors, but faced with the choice of living in shed in San Francisco or a mansion in Dallas for the same price, I know where I'd rather be! ;)

Tampa FL it seems..... :D :D

Dan725 Jun 11th 2005 7:20 pm

Tampa FL it seems..... :D :D

Aye, that'll do! See, I'm not all about the biggest - I can happily cope in a mini mansion as opposed to a Full size Texas mansion!

:)