Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

standard of living usa

standard of living usa

Old Jun 6th 2005, 7:58 pm
ImHere

Default Re: standard of living usa

Originally Posted by Dant3
Standard of Living and Quality of Life are both relative. While working a 9 to 5 job in a beige cubicle may not be everybody's idea of heaven, it sure beats being thrown up against a classroom wall by some heroin addled parent in Bradford. The fact that I get to leave work at 5pm, instead of 10pm as a teacher, means that I also get to have some kind of social life. Living in a warm climate watching hummingbirds flitting about the Bougainvillea beats just about any of the places I've had the dubious pleasure of living in in the UK. I can't afford a house here, but then I couldn't afford a house in the UK either. The important difference is that here I feel an optimistic sense that I can succeed, which was never the case in England. The fact that I can't get a decent pork sausage and nobody's heard of Bogpuss is, at this stage, a worthwhile sacrifice.

Seems reasonable.

Old Jun 6th 2005, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by snowbunny
It obviously *isn't* way too expensive, then. You can bitch about it, but you ARE willing to pay.

What I said was that HOUSES are way too expensive. On the otherhand appartments are cheaper to rent than in San Francisco which is the reason I live here. Personally I still don't think $1700 a month in rent is good value or financial sense, I just can't afford a house and the property taxes that go with it.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:19 pm
Cushtie Geezer

Conway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the rough

Standard of Living and Quality of Life are both relative. While working a 9 to 5 job in a beige cubicle may not be everybody's idea of heaven, it sure beats being thrown up against a classroom wall by some heroin addled parent in Bradford. The fact that I get to leave work at 5pm, instead of 10pm as a teacher, means that I also get to have some kind of social life. Living in a warm climate watching hummingbirds flitting about the Bougainvillea beats just about any of the places I've had the dubious pleasure of living in in the UK. I can't afford a house here, but then I couldn't afford a house in the UK either. The important difference is that here I feel an optimistic sense that I can succeed, which was never the case in England. The fact that I can't get a decent pork sausage and nobody's heard of Bogpuss is, at this stage, a worthwhile sacrifice.
Is "Bogpuss" (Bagpuss?) a triping error teach?
Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Conway7
Is "Bogpuss" (Bagpuss?) a triping error teach?
Luckily, it is. Even more luckily I was never required to teach typing.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:13 pm
Cushtie Geezer

Conway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the rough

Luckily, it is. Even more luckily I was never required to teach typing.
Nice one!

On a slightly different tack, I guess it must be a bit of a bummer for some Brits, to have to conform with the americanisation of the english language, and I was thinking specifically of differences in the spelling of the same word eg color,defense,kidnaped etc..... did/does that cause you any problems, or did you readily adapt, when teaching your classes?

I imagine it might be more of a confusion for teenagers, who have directly transferred over from schools in the UK?
Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:20 pm
ImHere

Nice one!

On a slightly different tack, I guess it must be a bit of a bummer for some Brits, to have to conform with the americanisation of the english language, and I was thinking specifically of differences in the spelling of the same word eg color,defense,kidnaped etc..... did/does that cause you any problems, or did you readily adapt, when teaching your classes?

I imagine it might be more of a confusion for teenagers, who have directly transferred over from schools in the UK?
I think Americans may argue about the "Americanisation" of the English language. Oddly enough American English has more in common with Shakesperean English than British English does.

Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

I've never been able to teach in the US so I don't know from a teaching point of view. I do, however, work as a grant writer and everything I write comes back to me from the proofreaders with a shit load of corrections. I'm used to the whole 'ou' thing and make a point of trying not to use any overtly British terminology, but you'd be amazed at some of the phrases and grammatical constructions that simply read as 'foreign' to an American audience. And I've just been told today that Americans never use the word 'whilst'! Who ******* knew?!?!
Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:23 pm
ImHere

And I've just been told today that Americans never use the word 'whilst'! Who ******* knew?!?!
Like we never use the verb construct "Gotten"

Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:31 pm
Cushtie Geezer

Originally Posted by ImHere
I think Americans may argue about the "Americanisation" of the English language. Oddly enough American English has more in common with Shakesperean English than British English does.
Art thou sure, and doth thy mean "Shakespearian!"
Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

The American wife still thinks the British use of 'do' is funny, as in "they might do", or "will it do?", or the classic "but they do do, don't they".

EVERYBODY DOWN! This is a threadjacking!
Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:42 pm
Cushtie Geezer

The American wife still thinks the British use of 'do' is funny, as in "they might do", or "will it do?", or the classic "but they do do, don't they".
EVERYBODY DOWN! This is a threadjacking!
Definitely only a SCOUSER would utter the latter!
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:17 am
ImHere

Art thou sure, and doth thy mean "Shakespearian!"
Aye i doth

Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ImHere
Continuing this threadjacking, here in MD we have Smith Island, located in the Chesapeake bay. The residents of this island are descended form cornish settlers of the 1600's and much of their speech has traces of cornish-elizabethan English

Smith Island
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

MIL, she's a yank, but as kids, folks travelled around africa as missionaries, so she was taught in British schools out there, so learned all the English spellings and sayings, she said she had a hell of a time when she got back to the US as they kept marking her grades down because of the poor spelling until her mother had a conniption fit with the school
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:59 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Bob
MIL, she's a yank, ...
Spoken like a true Brit, lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.