British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   standard of living usa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/standard-living-usa-306801/)

ImHere Jun 5th 2005 12:22 am

Re: standard of living usa

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, but the cable broadband is a bit to shite to rely on just using Voip...

Ours is fine, we've had VoIP as our landline for 5 months and no real problems at all.

Bob Jun 5th 2005 12:32 am

Originally Posted by ImHere
Ours is fine, we've had VoIP as our landline for 5 months and no real problems at all.

aye, but we're stuck with adelphia, and the traffic on the line means the speeds seriously drop during the day...it really wouldnt' be good enough to use just to have voip as only phone around here...well there is the verizon dsl, which is the same price, but slower overall speed, and would require a more expensive phone package *l*

Dant3 Jun 5th 2005 12:36 am

Even living in Los Angeles (very expensive!) my standard of living is a lot better than it was in the UK, not least because I find I get paid more for doing a chimps job in a cubicle farm here than I did as a full-time teacher in the UK.

ImHere Jun 5th 2005 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Dant3
Even living in Los Angeles (very expensive!) my standard of living is a lot better than it was in the UK, not least because I find I get paid more for doing a chimps job in a cubicle farm here than I did as a full-time teacher in the UK.

So by standard of living do you mean cash and not general quality of life? I cant imagine working in a Dilbert-esque cube farm for 45+ hours per week can possibly be construed as better quality of life.

Dan725 Jun 5th 2005 1:15 am

Originally Posted by vegas
The Average wage in Florida seems to be around the $35k range I have found that the following items seem to be a lot more expensive here:

Property Tax (which is paid every year like the British Rates I paid $8000
last year on a house worth about $450k)

Insurance (car insurance is very expensive when you first start I paid
$2400 for six months insurance on a dodge durrango now
after 2 years it is down to $1200 per six months.
Property insurance is $1300 per annum but this includes a
$500 dollar hurricane element.)

Utilities. ( Gas , water and Electric are more expensive here. My gas bill
averages $50 per month. My electric goes from $50 per
Month in the winter to $300 per month in the summer due to
air conditioning. When I have my garden sprinklers on for 2
nights per week the bill for water is normally $150 per month)

Telephones ( Cell phones can be more expensive as you pay the same per
minute for received calls as made calls. Normal telephones
can be more expensive but all local calls within you area are
free so you can chat for nothing after paying the monthly
charge )

Health ( unless you are covered by your employer then this can be
unbelieveably expensive also people without insurance pay
twice as much per procedure than people with insurance. As
the insurance companies expect a discount)

I think that everything else here is a lot cheaper apart from the above.

Agree with all above (although car insurance is not as pricey as that for us, about 1/2 that on a similar vehicle with 100/300 coverage, perhaps because my wife is from here and has used the same insurer for years?)

As I guess may be the case with Vegas here, personally we are living a lifestyle that would be *completely* out of reach in the UK.

As to the non monetary side, again, having an absolute ball being a big waterskiing/boating/scuba diving fan - hobbies you can enjoy year round as opposed to June-September if you are lucky in the UK. Got a lot of good friends and would not want to move back to UK.

anotherlimey Jun 5th 2005 1:57 am

So by standard of living do you mean cash and not general quality of life? I cant imagine working in a Dilbert-esque cube farm for 45+ hours per week can possibly be construed as better quality of life.

Quality of life and standard of living are two different things.

rincewind Jun 5th 2005 2:17 am

If you guys check the OP other posts, you'll see they haven't got a clue where they want to be. One minute it's Canada, then it's Australian and now USA.

Won't last 5 minutes abroad, if they even get there.

Pharrya Jun 5th 2005 2:21 am

Here in MD, We have a a 1900 sq ft house with 1/5 acre, in the burbs, and pay $1400 in property tax. So this is another case of location, location, location.

Our last water bill for 3 months was $8. yep, $8.
Car insurance is $855 per 6 months for 2 cars
Phone bill usually hovers round the $45 mark monthly
GAs and Electric (It's one bill) is usually about $150 per month - and it seems to cost a lot more to heat than to cool.

Moneywise, things are a lot more comfortable over here (I was living in Belsize park in London...)

ImHere Jun 5th 2005 3:15 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Quality of life and standard of living are two different things.

I have to disagree. My standard of living is very closely related to my quality of life.

Bob Jun 5th 2005 3:27 am

I have to disagree. My standard of living is very closely related to my quality of life.

yeah...but then it depends if you'd rather work in shite conditions and have the cash to do more shite, or have more holiday time etc and not have as much money...

snowbunny Jun 5th 2005 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah...but then it depends if you'd rather work in shite conditions and have the cash to do more shite, or have more holiday time etc and not have as much money...

Some of us have no choice yet anyway. :) otherwise I'd definitely trade salary for some time away.

ImHere Jun 5th 2005 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

I go for the more holiday time and less cash every time since I couldnt give a monkeys about having the latest greatest car/tv/house/whatever

Pulaski Jun 5th 2005 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pharrya
Here in MD, We have a a 1900 sq ft house with 1/5 acre, in the burbs, and pay $1400 in property tax. So this is another case of location, location, location.

Our last water bill for 3 months was $8. yep, $8.
Car insurance is $855 per 6 months for 2 cars
Phone bill usually hovers round the $45 mark monthly
GAs and Electric (It's one bill) is usually about $150 per month - and it seems to cost a lot more to heat than to cool.

Moneywise, things are a lot more comfortable over here (I was living in Belsize park in London...)

That's very similar to us, 'cept our house is bigger, we have three cars, and we have no water bill at all - we have our own well! :p .... and we were living in Wimbledon (the less expensive western edge in SW20).

anotherlimey Jun 5th 2005 2:26 pm

They are related, standard of living is measurable, quality of life is not so easliy measured.

Ray Jun 5th 2005 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
part of the state i'm living in, there's no choice, verizon are the only landlines, and the cheapest no thrills package is $30 a month....

Thats what they tell you ..its a lie... there is always another hidden rate which for us is $7 something a month but you only get 30 free local calls a month here in Florida its call the "measured rate"

Checked with Verizon ..you can't get that in MAINE ...but there is a $17/18 dollar rate without the frills

http://www22.verizon.com/ForYourHome...spx?ViewTab=LP