British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Stand Up Comedy: UK vs USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/stand-up-comedy-uk-vs-usa-241483/)

rincewind Jul 11th 2004 2:55 pm

Stand Up Comedy: UK vs USA

Okay, it's a Sunday and I have nothing better to do. So I was sitting here thinking about the stand-up comedians that I like and I was wondering which country had the better comedy.

I've tried my best to include the top names for each country (five for each) so my apologies if I've missed someone. If you like someone else, just post your comments.

edwords Jul 11th 2004 3:37 pm

Re: Stand Up Comedy: UK vs USA

Originally posted by rincewind
Okay, it's a Sunday and I have nothing better to do. So I was sitting here thinking about the stand-up comedians that I like and I was wondering which country had the better comedy.

I've tried my best to include the top names for each country (five for each) so my apologies if I've missed someone. If you like someone else, just post your comments.
I've seen George Carlin on stage in Las Vegas, but out of the group you assembled, I prefer Eddie Izzard.

Ash UK/US Jul 11th 2004 3:42 pm

What... no Chubby Brown on your list :confused:

Ash :)

rincewind Jul 11th 2004 3:47 pm

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
What... no Chubby Brown on your list :confused:

Bugger, I had him in mind this morning :D :D

Ash UK/US Jul 11th 2004 3:55 pm

Bugger, I had him in mind this morning :D :D
I know he's crude and rude... but hilarious with it.

rincewind Jul 11th 2004 4:51 pm

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
I know he's crude and rude... but hilarious with it.

"If you are what you eat then I'm a ;) "

Pimpbot Jul 11th 2004 5:03 pm

I voted for Chris Rock. Although I was a little disappointed with his last HBO special. I'd have voted for Denis Leary also if the poll would have let me. I also find Lewis Black who does a weekly stint on the Daily Show rather funny. He to just did an HBO special. I don't find Carlin funny at all. For some reason, everytime I flew across the pond, they'd always have him on the comedy channels on the plane.

rincewind Jul 11th 2004 5:12 pm

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I voted for Chris Rock. Although I was a little disappointed with his last HBO special. I'd have voted for Denis Leary also if the pole would have let me. I also find Lewis Black who does a weekly stint on the Daily Show rather funny. He to just did an HBO special. I don't find Carlin funny at all. For some reason, everytime I flew across the pond, they'd always have him on the comedy channels on the plane.
I selected multiple choice answers so you could have done. Sowwy :(

My wife and I love Lewis Black. We have his DVD, CDs and his latest HBO special was excellent.

Ron White is also superb. I thought he was the better guy from the Blue Collar Comedy Tour and his "They Call Me Tater Salad" DVD is hilarious.

But, George Carlin has to get my overall vote. A fellow Atheist (with great religious material) and great observational humor. I wish that guy was my grandfather.

"The reason they call it the American Dream is that you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

cuckoofrommars Jul 11th 2004 5:27 pm

Lewis Black is damn funny.

I'd like to nominate a new Brit comedian called Ross Noble. Possibly funnier than Izzard.

And nah, I think Carlin is awful. I tend to think his observations are pretty thin - like "why do we only bomb brown people?" - and mostly they seem borrowed from other hardliners of the same ilk who are much funnier than he is.

rincewind Jul 11th 2004 5:39 pm

Originally posted by cuckoofrommars
Lewis Black is damn funny.

I'd like to nominate a new Brit comedian called Ross Noble. Possibly funnier than Izzard.

And nah, I think Carlin is awful. I tend to think his observations are pretty thin - like "why do we only bomb brown people?" - and mostly they seem borrowed from other hardliners of the same ilk who are much funnier than he is.
I didn't go much on Noble. But we all have different tastes.

Carlin certainly doesn't "borrow" material. It's usually the other way around.

:D

Brit'n'TX Jul 11th 2004 5:59 pm

I didn't go much on Noble. But we all have different tastes.

Carlin certainly doesn't "borrow" material. It's usually the other way around.

:D
and after all ... he is a fellow atheist ...

rincewind Jul 11th 2004 6:02 pm

Originally posted by Brit'n'TX
and after all ... he is a fellow atheist ...
Absolutely :D :D

dazman Jul 11th 2004 6:12 pm

Cake or death?

yorkshirelass Jul 11th 2004 6:15 pm

I've never laughed so hard as I did watching Peter Kay's Live at the Bolton Albert Halls!

rincewind Jul 11th 2004 6:26 pm

Originally posted by dazman
Cake or death?
"Hilder!! Wake up!! I have invented a maneuver!!"

I loved Circle too with the monkey doing sign language.

:D :D