Stamford CT

Old Feb 1st 2005, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Stamford CT

I'm looking at accepting a job offer in Stamford CT.
I'd be grateful for any comments from anyone who has or does live in the area.
Cost of living, property rentals, climate, crime, access to English crumpets !! etc
Thank you
Roger
PS: I've checked the usual sites (cost of living calculator, property prices etc) I'd just like any personal opinions>

Last edited by rogerpenycate; Feb 1st 2005 at 12:58 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 6:25 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of
Default Re: Stamford CT

it depends what you are looking for rent buy condo home 2 family home
average rent for a 2 bedroom apt is 1400+ utils

House costs single family 400,000 + depending on location
Condo's range from 200,000 - 350,000
but there are some not nice areas where you will find the cheaper end of the markets.
Stop & Shop sells Irish imports and yes they sell crumpets also there is a English store on the greenwich border a 25 min drive into the bronx and you have the wonderful world of Ireland where you can pretty much get anything bread sausage rolls bacn sausage tins gravy papers its endless.
in stamford you will find there is a lot of irish bars serving curry chips fry ups and there is a lot of English & Irish folk
if you are looking into buying and have children make sure you research the schools because some have very bad scores but alot is down to the no children left behind and the high population of non english speaking immigrants who still have to be tested in the sytems hence dragging down the schools results.
as for the climate winter is bloody freezing and for the past few years snowfall has come in 2+feet and the temp has been hitting -15 range summer is lovely its totally different you really need to come and visit here to see if its what you are looking for being in the NYC area people are quite rude and it has a fastish hectic pace of life.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nottsinCT
it depends what you are looking for rent buy condo home 2 family home
average rent for a 2 bedroom apt is 1400+ utils

House costs single family 400,000 + depending on location
Condo's range from 200,000 - 350,000
but there are some not nice areas where you will find the cheaper end of the markets.
Stop & Shop sells Irish imports and yes they sell crumpets also there is a English store on the greenwich border a 25 min drive into the bronx and you have the wonderful world of Ireland where you can pretty much get anything bread sausage rolls bacn sausage tins gravy papers its endless.
in stamford you will find there is a lot of irish bars serving curry chips fry ups and there is a lot of English & Irish folk
if you are looking into buying and have children make sure you research the schools because some have very bad scores but alot is down to the no children left behind and the high population of non english speaking immigrants who still have to be tested in the sytems hence dragging down the schools results.
as for the climate winter is bloody freezing and for the past few years snowfall has come in 2+feet and the temp has been hitting -15 range summer is lovely its totally different you really need to come and visit here to see if its what you are looking for being in the NYC area people are quite rude and it has a fastish hectic pace of life.

Thanks for that, very helpful.
No kids and will be looking to rent.
I've been offered the job so it looks like I'll be coming up on the 12th February for the 'formal interview"

Am I that famous for my love of crumpets ?
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 6:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Nice state...cold as buggery in winter like the rest of new england though
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 8:37 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
<<snip>>

Am I that famous for my love of crumpets ?
You could change your custom user title to "crumpet lover"!

NC Penguin
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=NC Penguin]You could change your custom user title to "crumpet lover"!

Ah, those days are gone. Anyway my wife would cut off my pocket money if I had an affair.