British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   St Patricks Day Parade (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/st-patricks-day-parade-828750/)

jeepster Mar 16th 2014 11:46 pm

St Patricks Day Parade

Me wife (a west end girl), very recently (like today) found out (much to her chagrin) that London has a St Patricks Day parade. So she has a question: why is there a St Patricks Day parade in London when the patron saint of England is St George?

Pulaski Mar 17th 2014 1:20 am

Re: St Patricks Day Parade

Because there are lots of Irishmen Americans living in London?

Sarah Mar 17th 2014 8:35 am

Tons of Irish in London is the only reason I can think of.

And because dressing up in green and getting pissed is what people like to do. We can't do that with St George because that would mean you're an evil BNP loving racist, obviously.

Here's to socially acceptable cultural appropriation day! :beer:

H Bomb Mar 17th 2014 12:19 pm

There are St Patricks Day Parades all over the world - why would London be any different?

Nutek Mar 17th 2014 1:10 pm

http://yaypics.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-8Cx55Pn-M.jpg

MarylandNed Mar 17th 2014 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by jeepster (Post 11175962)
Me wife (a west end girl), very recently (like today) found out (much to her chagrin) that London has a St Patricks Day parade. So she has a question: why is there a St Patricks Day parade in London when the patron saint of England is St George?

There are St. Patrick's Day parades all over the world. There are millions of people of Irish descent who take the opportunity to celebrate that on St. Patrick's Day. In addition, it's party time for everyone whether they are Irish or not. Everyone can relate to a good party and it's an all-inclusive celebration.

The real question is why isn't there a St. George's Day parade? St. Patrick's Day is a holiday in all of Ireland (including Northern Ireland). St. George's Day isn't even a bank holiday in England. Why not? Maybe if the government made it a bank holiday and people had the day off work, they'd be more likely to have a parade.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 17th 2014 3:53 pm

With Bagpipes....

H Bomb Mar 17th 2014 3:57 pm

They are starting to do more for St George's day in England - there does seem to be an increase in activity each year. But it has never really been an established celebration so will be hard to go from nothing to full on parade over night.

As must as I hate the Daily Mail - here is an article about last year http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-hit-20C.html

But as mentioned - St George's cross has had long connotations with far right parties - but it seems the population is slowly bringing it back without being portrayed as racist!

And if we ever do get another BH - there is a chance it could be St George's Day - but would we want another at the start of the year? I would vote for anything in October regardless of what it was!

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 17th 2014 4:05 pm

Trafalgar Day?

My birthday?

H Bomb Mar 17th 2014 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11176933)
Trafalgar Day?

My birthday?

If it gets me an extra day off work!

Although I guess from July UK Bank Holiday won't actually concern me!

SultanOfSwing Mar 17th 2014 4:45 pm

I like the idea of a St George's day celebration, especially one that catches on in America.

Then the pubs can get all English beer in, serve sausage rolls and steak and kidney pies and I can do loads of gigs playing English music like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin ...

Why the hell are we not doing this already?

Anian Mar 17th 2014 6:00 pm

There used to be a St George's Day parade in my home town, but it was supported by the local churches so as attendance dropped the parade eventually was too.

Isn't St George the patron saint of scouts? They are always big on parades.

lizzyq Mar 17th 2014 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 11177175)
There used to be a St George's Day parade in my home town, but it was supported by the local churches so as attendance dropped the parade eventually was too.

Yes, St George is indeed the patron saint of Scouts - we have an annual town parade of all the Scouts & Guides and the younger/older ones too. I just wish they could march a bit better.....

Yorkieabroad Mar 17th 2014 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 11177175)

As I was reading this I was thinking "but we always used to do a parade for St George's day when I was in scouts" .....it was always on the Sunday closest to the 23rd. Wasn't just the scouts that marched....the local veterans of various regiments also marched, as well as St. John's army, Salvation Army etc. Never the same sort of parade as for St Patricks day, but it was certainly marked in our little market town, and I suspect in many others(?). I don't know whether it still is...my eldest nephew who was invalided out of the army is the current flag bearer for the Green Howards so I should check with him.....

Bob Mar 17th 2014 9:20 pm

What's amusing, locally. The news have told people to dress up well and not pass out on the streets as it'll be in the low single digits outside this evening :D