Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

St Patricks Day

St Patricks Day

Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

para22 is a name known to allpara22 is a name known to allpara22 is a name known to allpara22 is a name known to allpara22 is a name known to allpara22 is a name known to allpara22 is a name known to allpara22 is a name known to allpara22 is a name known to allpara22 is a name known to allpara22 is a name known to all
Talking St Patricks Day

Is it only me, or does it get up anyone else's nose the way the yanks celebrate St Patricks Day.

Dont get me wrong, Ive nothing against the irish.
I did 6 tours over there, and at one time was even engaged to an irish girl.

But what really pisses me off, are the clowns over here, who will tell you they are ' Irish' and they've never even seen the sky over I.

These are the same wallies, who ride around in a truck with a plate on the front announcing 'God made the Irish # 1"

They seem to have some romantic notion about the irish, that they are a downtrodden nation existing in the shadow of the UK;

Or if its not Ireland, they'll tell you the are a fifth Scottish, a fifth Ukranian, one tenth portugese, need I go on?

Any thoughts anyone, or am i out of order?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:37 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Patricks Day

Originally Posted by para22
Is it only me, or does it get up anyone else's nose the way the yanks celebrate St Patricks Day.

But what really pisses me off, are the clowns over here, who will tell you they are ' Irish' and they've never even seen the sky over I.

These are the same wallies, who ride around in a truck with a plate on the front announcing 'God made the Irish # 1"

They seem to have some romantic notion about the irish, that they are a downtrodden nation existing in the shadow of the UK;

Or if its not Ireland, they'll tell you the are a fifth Scottish, a fifth Ukranian, one tenth portugese, need I go on?

I'm irish and I must say that I'm really looking forward to fielding even more stupid questions than usual over the next 6 weeks
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

conisby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I'm irish and I must say that I'm really looking forward to fielding even more stupid questions than usual over the next 6 weeks

Davy, are potatoes widely available in Ireland yet??
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:02 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by para22

Welcome to the US. Get used to it!

NC Penguin
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:06 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Not as big in this part of the world as the locals are not allowed to drink beer. Green milk also looks absolutely disgusting.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah para welcome to the usa...get used to them going ott for most occasions...bless
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

ScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud of

Davy, what's the celebrations like in the City? I'll be over by then, worth a trip in from the Suburbs?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's the devil spawn...along with all other holidays...it was pretty big up in maine where we use to live, but then there were a few paddies there at least...

I'm worried about it this year, being this close to beantown...the home of the plastic paddy...or is that chicago?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:27 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conisby
Davy, are potatoes widely available in Ireland yet??
Yes - we eat them daily with corned beef and cabbage
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Americans are the best marketers in the world......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Yes - we eat them daily with corned beef and cabbage
Got a good recipe?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:33 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by ScottMc
Davy, what's the celebrations like in the City? I'll be over by then, worth a trip in from the Suburbs?
Actually I've never been downtown for the 'Big Day' so I can't really comment.
I have seen the parade on the TV and it wouldn't really be my cup of tea to be honest. Without wanting to turn this thread into a political debate there seems to be the perception in the US the St Patrick is the patron saint of the Republic of Ireland - not Ireland as a whole - I find this to be somewhat annoying.

Still - as a newbie you should prob check it out - the train will deposit you in the centre of town for $5 so its easy enough to get there. In fact being as you're moving to the 'burbs I recommend heading into the city at every available opportunity - its like a different world.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:34 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm worried about it this year, being this close to beantown...the home of the plastic paddy...or is that chicago?
There's a few places fighting it out for that title - I'd say Boston might just shade it though.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a few places fighting it out for that title - I'd say Boston might just shade it though.
Aye, it is a weird old game...it can be a musing, but green beer, green milk, green hair, all that cabbage...can be a bit much, and half the munters who are inked up with clovers and the like probably don't even know where Ireland is, let alone the whole issue of the north and republic etc....but it's somin' for hallmark to keep busy after valentines
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:53 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, it is a weird old game...it can be a musing, but green beer, green milk, green hair, all that cabbage...can be a bit much, and half the munters who are inked up with clovers and the like probably don't even know where Ireland is, let alone the whole issue of the north and republic etc....but it's somin' for hallmark to keep busy after valentines
Do they do the corned beef thing in Boston too.
I have no idea where the f**k that comes from - all our corned beef back home came in tins from Argentina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.