Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN Question

SSN Question

Old May 31st 2011, 6:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN Question

Originally Posted by cranes
Is it possible for me to leave US while my SSA application is in progress? Can I enter and stay in US for a (one) week, apply for my SSA during that week, fly back home to pack, fly back into US after a month, and voila, SSA in mailbox? Thanks.
It depends.

If you apply to early, and kick your case into 'manual verification' it can take weeks longer, so your card wouldn't necessarily be there when you return.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:40 am
Just Joined

parmenion2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes.

In a perfect world, yes. But, regardless, you are allowed to leave the US while your SSA application is being processed.

Ian

I am doing exactly this at the moment.... I went to the SS office the day that I arrived on an E3 (like an H1-B for australians), and was told I needed to wait 10 days before applying for the SSN, and that applying earlier would cause the application to take longer.

The next day I went to a different office and they accepted my application (1 day after arriving). I am having it sent to the home of a secretary here where I will be working, and am flying back home for 3 weeks in the meantime.

I will let you know how it goes!!!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parmenion2
The next day I went to a different office and they accepted my application (1 day after arriving).
Of course they accepted your application. That's not the same thing as you actually getting a SS# in a timely manner. If you're not yet in the SAVE system, they have to manually verify everything with US immigration.

Most likely, it would have been quicker had you actually waited the 10 days... because a manual check is going to take up to 8 weeks or more.

Ian
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Of course they accepted your application. That's not the same thing as you actually getting a SS# in a timely manner. If you're not yet in the SAVE system, they have to manually verify everything with US immigration.

Most likely, it would have been quicker had you actually waited the 10 days... because a manual check is going to take up to 8 weeks or more.

Ian
Hmmm.... that is potentially a big problem as I need the SSN to get a medical license. There is not alot I can do now though is there? Do you think staying around make any difference?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Victorinox is an unknown quantity at this point

Similar situation here. Moving to Minnesota at the end of January but was in San Diego for a few days at the start of December, so I thought I would be ‘smart’ and apply in San Diego to get the ball rolling, while I went back to the UK.

I think I have ended up in the manual verification death spiral, as I constantly phone up to be told Homeland security are still checking, so I guess sometimes it is not good to be too efficient !

I am now back in the UK and will see what happens when I go back 'properly' in a couple of weeks.

Of note, during one of my phone calls, the girl at the San Diego office asked if I could come into the office; didn’t know if to laugh or cry. Even if I was back in the US, I would be over 1000 miles away in MN, so, no, I can't come to the office !!

Any advice welcomed !
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Victorinox
Similar situation here. Moving to Minnesota at the end of January but was in San Diego for a few days at the start of December, so I thought I would be ‘smart’ and apply in San Diego to get the ball rolling, while I went back to the UK.

I think I have ended up in the manual verification death spiral, as I constantly phone up to be told Homeland security are still checking, so I guess sometimes it is not good to be too efficient !

I am now back in the UK and will see what happens when I go back 'properly' in a couple of weeks.

Of note, during one of my phone calls, the girl at the San Diego office asked if I could come into the office; didn’t know if to laugh or cry. Even if I was back in the US, I would be over 1000 miles away in MN, so, no, I can't come to the office !!

Any advice welcomed !

Hmmm.... I am not sure this will help Victorinox but her experience worries me! The manual verification process is supposed to take 30 days, and with Christmas perhaps the timing so far is about right?

Anyway I went back to the Social Security office today (3 days after entry) and the plot thickens.

The (very nice) lady there has not put me into 'manual verification', rather she is checking 'DHS online' each day to see if my details have been entered. She even offered to ring my work with the SSN once it is through.

I assume what they check on 'DHS online' is that my I-94 matches the visa I came in on. If there is any problem with this check, you go to manual verification.

However.... first SS office that I went to told me that DHS officers were required by law to not enter the I-94 data into 'DHS online' until 10 days were up. Does anyone know why this is?

My worry is can I leave now before I have DHS online clearance? My wife is heavily pregnant so I want to go home...

When I exit, while they don't check your passport they do take your I-94, and the airplane passenger list is sent to DHS. So they will know that I exited.... will this stop them entering me to DHS online?

I guess it comes down to the purpose of the 10 day delay. If it is to stop you exiting quickly, then I guess I will be caught out. If it is just an administrative thing, then as my original I-94 will match my visa I should be cleared on DHS online with no problem...

My other idea was to give the airline my second passport details (I have dual citizenship) and exit on that, then when I come back in 4 weeks just explain to customs that I forgot to hand in my I-94. Or exit by road via Canada.... but now I think it is getting ridiculous!

Last edited by parmenion2; Jan 5th 2012 at 11:57 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

Minor point, but Victorinox is a 'he'
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Sorry!

By the way, when you applied initially did they ask about applying within the 10 day window? Do you think they put you straight into manual verification?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

However.... first SS office that I went to told me that DHS officers were required by law to not enter the I-94 data into 'DHS online' until 10 days were up. Does anyone know why this is?
My pure guess is that it's a batch job processed every week on an ancient mainframe.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

There is not alot I can do now though is there?
Nope!

Do you think staying around make any difference?
If your identity has to be manually verified, there's nothing you can do to speed it up... it'll take as long as it takes. The alternative is to wait until the 10-day mark and reapply, but then you risk ending up having two applications in the system and (worse) two SS numbers... and that's an even bigger headache to sort out.

Ian
Old Jan 6th 2012, 12:04 am
Just Joined

Hi Ian - did you see my new post? Your opinion would be very much appreciated...

Last edited by parmenion2; Jan 6th 2012 at 12:09 am.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 12:09 am
Just Joined

Hi Ian - did you see my new post? Your opinion would be very much appreciated...

No, that didnt really come up. I just went into the office and it all went surprisingly smoothly.

We have all heard horror stories about US bureaucracy and the kind of characters that hang out in SSA offices but the San Diego office was clean, quiet and very efficient. I was having my formal interview within 5 minutes of walking in.

No mention was made of the 10 day period. I had heard about it previously but I gambled that as I was not going to be returning to the US for about 6 weeks, even if it took a bit of extra time, it wouldnt really matter. I hope that still turns out to be the case.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 12:30 am
Account Closed

Hi Ian - did you see my new post?
Yes!

However.... first SS office that I went to told me that DHS officers were required by law to not enter the I-94 data into 'DHS online' until 10 days were up.
I've no idea whether or not this is true... but I seriously doubt it's the truth. By the way, government employees are allowed to lie to you - since they can not be held responsible for anything they say.

My worry is can I leave now before I have DHS online clearance? My wife is heavily pregnant so I want to go home...
You don't need to remain in the US while SSA verifies your eligibility. Having a SS# has no bearing on your ability to use your L-1 visa or to travel on that visa.

So they will know that I exited.... will this stop them entering me to DHS online?
With respect to the SSA, leaving the US has no bearing on your having entered earlier.

If it is to stop you exiting quickly, then I guess I will be caught out. If it is just an administrative thing, then as my original I-94 will match my visa I should be cleared on DHS online with no problem...
You have a valid L-1 visa. You could have left the US without having ever exited the airport if you so chose! The SSA does not report to DHS, and DHS doesn't report to SSA. They are both able to access the SAVE database... but that's where any link between them dies.

Your questions suggest that you believe the two agencies are related in some way... they aren't.

.... but now I think it is getting ridiculous!
I agree!

Ian
Old Jan 6th 2012, 12:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.... I am not sure this will help Victorinox but her experience worries me! The manual verification process is supposed to take 30 days, and with Christmas perhaps the timing so far is about right?
Back in 2004, my alien husband had to have manual verification done on his status in the USA (he came in on a K-1 fiance visa). It took 6 weeks to complete the manual verification, and 2 weeks for the SS card to come in the mail. He could have gone in person to the SS office to get the SSN after the 6 weeks were up, but he was in another city at that time and decided to just wait for the card in the mail.

SS staff is not supposed to give out SSNs over phone, especially to someone other than you personally.

Rene
Old Jan 6th 2012, 1:17 am
Just Joined

You have a valid L-1 visa. You could have left the US without having ever exited the airport if you so chose! The SSA does not report to DHS, and DHS doesn't report to SSA. They are both able to access the SAVE database... but that's where any link between them dies.

Your questions suggest that you believe the two agencies are related in some way... they aren't.

Ian
Thanks Ian! My concern was that leaving the country and returning my I-94 would somehow stop DHS entering me into the SAVE database. I think will just fly back tomorrow, I'll let you know how things go!

I also found this.... it explains the reasons for the 10 day wait and accurately describes the process. It seems as long as they don't send you into manual verification, applying earlier than 10 days after entry should be okay.

www.greencards.com/docs/SSA-10days.pdf

Last edited by parmenion2; Jan 6th 2012 at 1:31 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.