Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN Question

SSN Question

Old May 18th 2011, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

IanH88 has a spectacular aura aboutIanH88 has a spectacular aura aboutIanH88 has a spectacular aura about
Default SSN Question

Quick SSN question

I'm moving to the US on an L1 visa and need to get my SSN as soon as possible.

Visa was granted last month and I entered the US for the first time two weeks ago using the L1, I was only there for a week house hunting.

I'll be going back again next week and was hoping that I will be able to immediately go and get my SSN....does anyone know if this is possible, or will I have to wait another week to 10 days to show up in the system, or will my first entry activate that?

Thanks

Ian
Old May 18th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN Question

You should be "in the system" from your first entry so you should be able to go down to your local social security office and apply for an SSN as soon as you return to the US.
Old May 18th 2011, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

IanH88 has a spectacular aura aboutIanH88 has a spectacular aura aboutIanH88 has a spectacular aura about

great...that's what I was hoping, thanks for the quick response
Old May 18th 2011, 2:25 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

I got my SSN on the second day we arrived. We weren't actually in the 'system' but that didn't seem to be an issue.

Rob
Old May 21st 2011, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

fashionista will become famous soon enoughfashionista will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by md95065
You should be "in the system" from your first entry so you should be able to go down to your local social security office and apply for an SSN as soon as you return to the US.
Unfortunately, that may not be how it works. We had the same experience - came to the US in March for 10 days, then went home for a few weeks to wrap things up. Arrived here are the end of April and went to the Social Security Office on our 3rd day with the same expectation, only to be told that we weren't in the system as the clock was reset when we left the country. I couldn't really see how that would work , but our SSNs only arrived today (21 days later).

Hope yours comes quicker though!!
Old May 21st 2011, 5:27 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I agree with previous posters. Conventional wisdom was that if you turned up at SSA too early and SSA elected to do a manual check, this would actually slow down your application. Advice was therefore to wait at least 10 days before applying.
Old May 22nd 2011, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the OP!

I had same situation and question as OP IanH88.

When I left the US after having entered on my brand new L1 and staying for 11 days, went home for 2 weeks to pack up house etc. On coming back I went to SSA office after 5 days - and was told it would take minimum 10 days from most recent entry as the clock was reset when I left the last time.

That said, the SSA Office were very helpful, courteous and quick - I picked up a letter from their office after about 10 days which was official notification of my SSN, and I had the actual SSN card about 3 days after that - no particular problems as a result - I already had bank and credit card accounts set up - typically larger institutions want your SSN within 90 days of starting an account - otherwise account features or access may get restricted - especially accounts that involve receiving interest as this has tax implications (you might have to declare interest received on your tax return).

Cheers

HTS
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

So, ideally, when Mr. Deeks arrives in a few weeks and passes through airport customs he will receive his SS card/number in the mail just a few days later? Let's hope for the best. :-)
Old May 24th 2011, 1:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deeks
So, ideally, when Mr. Deeks arrives in a few weeks and passes through airport customs he will receive his SS card/number in the mail just a few days later? Let's hope for the best. :-)
No, it won't be within a few days, unless you define 30 as a few.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Immigrant_Visa_Arrival
Old May 30th 2011, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

cranes is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it possible for me to leave US while my SSA application is in progress? Can I enter and stay in US for a (one) week, apply for my SSA during that week, fly back home to pack, fly back into US after a month, and voila, SSA in mailbox? Thanks.
Old May 30th 2011, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna
No, it won't be within a few days, unless you define 30 as a few.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Immigrant_Visa_Arrival
I should've known it wouldn't be that easy.
So... is it a good idea or not to take him to the SS office when he gets here? Will that speed up the process or slow it down?
Old May 30th 2011, 11:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fashionista
Unfortunately, that may not be how it works. We had the same experience - came to the US in March for 10 days, then went home for a few weeks to wrap things up. Arrived here are the end of April and went to the Social Security Office on our 3rd day with the same expectation, only to be told that we weren't in the system as the clock was reset when we left the country.
SSA is notified of arrivals, after about a 10 day delay, but not subsequent departures. 10 days after first arrival, you should be good to get a SSN.
Old May 31st 2011, 3:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deeks
I should've known it wouldn't be that easy.
So... is it a good idea or not to take him to the SS office when he gets here? Will that speed up the process or slow it down?
The last page of DS-230 gives him an option to apply for the SSN. If he did it on there, the card is mailed to him automatically within about 3 weeks. See the Immigrant Visa Arrival wiki article.

If he did not apply on DS-230, he should wait 10 days from arrival before applying for an SSN.

If he did apply on the visa form, he should not go reapply at the office after arriving.
Old May 31st 2011, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
The last page of DS-230 gives him an option to apply for the SSN. If he did it on there, the card is mailed to him automatically within about 3 weeks. See the Immigrant Visa Arrival wiki article.

If he did not apply on DS-230, he should wait 10 days from arrival before applying for an SSN.

If he did apply on the visa form, he should not go reapply at the office after arriving.
Thank you!! Yes, he did "tick that box" so we'll just wait for the postman to deliver it.
Old May 31st 2011, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranes
Is it possible for me to leave US while my SSA application is in progress?
Yes.

Can I enter and stay in US for a (one) week, apply for my SSA during that week, fly back home to pack, fly back into US after a month, and voila, SSA in mailbox?
In a perfect world, yes. But, regardless, you are allowed to leave the US while your SSA application is being processed.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.