British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   SSN not recognized + US credit score (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ssn-not-recognized-us-credit-score-848984/)

H Bomb Dec 16th 2014 9:22 pm

SSN not recognized + US credit score

My wife and I moved to NYC back in July and were issues our SSNs on 1st August.

When we moved into our first apartment mid August, we needed to provide SSN when setting up Verizon and ConEd, and were told by both SSN was not recognized. We just assumed they had only been on the system for a week so probably nothing to worry about.

Last week we tried to purchase NYS lottery tickets online, and today I tried to check credit rating with Credit Karma, and again got the message SSN was not recognized.

I called up Social Security and they said all was set up fine.

So what is going wrong - or is this usual? Both my wife and I are having the same issue.

An extra question - which may be a stupid one! Our USA bank accounts and credit cards were set up by HSBC a few weeks before we moved here (and before SSNs were issued).
How do they link our bank accounts to our credit score? Social security do not want your current address, our bank doesn't want our SSNs.
Just want to make sure we are building our credit score correctly!

sir_eccles Dec 16th 2014 9:26 pm

Re: SSN not recognized + US credit score

Originally Posted by H Bomb (Post 11504694)
So what is going wrong -

Nothing

or is this usual?
yes. Nothing is likely to happen history-wise for about 12 months after you get your first credit.

An extra question - which may be a stupid one! Our USA bank accounts and credit cards were set up by HSBC a few weeks before we moved here (and before SSNs were issued).
How do they link our bank accounts to our credit score? Social security do not want your current address, our bank doesn't want our SSNs.
Walk into your bank and tell them your SSN, escalate until you get someone who gets it. Your bank account won't generate a credit report because it isn't credit. The credit cards might but wait at least a year after they have been linked to your SSN.

H Bomb Dec 16th 2014 9:32 pm

I thought you started generating a credit report after 3 months?

Surely our SSN should allow us to purchase Lottery tickets online? Why would the number come up as invalid?

sir_eccles Dec 16th 2014 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by H Bomb (Post 11504702)

It varies but you'll have nothing meaningful for at least a year.

Surely our SSN should allow us to purchase Lottery tickets online? Why would the number come up as invalid?
Perhaps they are using it to prevent underage kids buying tickets and some poorly written algorithm sees your number as too young to be an adult.

Steve_ Dec 16th 2014 10:11 pm

I'd check the W-9 info on file with the bank and make sure your SSNs are on them.

H Bomb Dec 16th 2014 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11504756)
I'd check the W-9 info on file with the bank and make sure your SSNs are on them.

Now that is something I have not heard of! Will look into it!

Giantaxe Dec 16th 2014 10:22 pm

'cos you presumably don't have a credit report (as opposed to an SS number).

Michael Dec 16th 2014 11:26 pm

Rentals and ConEd don't report to the credit bureaus unless you default. I'm not sure about Verizon. You need credit cards to make sure that reporting is done. Harley Davidson has a no fee secured credit card that reports to all three credit bureaus.

US Bank Harley-Davidson® Visa® Secured Card

GeoffM Dec 17th 2014 1:38 am

I don't recall Verizon appearing on any of our credit reports and we've been with them since 2 weeks after arriving in the US (except as enquiries of course). Whenever my SSN wasn't recognised the organisation in question wanted a copy of the card and that always seemed to satisfy them.

Rickyk Dec 17th 2014 9:32 pm

The format of SSN was changed in 2011 with the first three numbers now no longer related to the region. Before 2011 the first three numbers could not be between 734 and 749, or above 772. Now they are generated randomly and can be any number. I had a problem with one of my kids number not being accepted on an ACT application form. Some systems have not been updated and will reject you if your SSN numbers fall in the previously unused range.

Ash14297 Jan 4th 2015 1:16 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11504699)
Nothing

yes. Nothing is likely to happen history-wise for about 12 months after you get your first credit.

Walk into your bank and tell them your SSN, escalate until you get someone who gets it. Your bank account won't generate a credit report because it isn't credit. The credit cards might but wait at least a year after they have been linked to your SSN.

I must be one of the luck ones then. I've been here since March. Transferred my UK Amex card to US and was approved instantly. Applied for car lease and was approved direct with the dealership. 1 month after I got approved for a second Amex card and a capital one card. Another month after that I got a Bank Of America credit card. Of course I don't use them all, and it put a massive hit on my already pretty non existent credit score getting all of these new accounts in such a short space of time BUT it instantly began pushing my credit score up rapidly. I've been able to track my credit on CreditKarma since about July/August and its now at an above average number. I never had any problems with my SSN not being recognized.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 4th 2015 2:47 am

Does NYS do a credit check to verify your information you provided them and since you appear to have no credit, thus they can't verify the information provided.

I know the lottery here do credit checks when you sign up to play online, I only learned this as it appears on my credit report as a soft inquiry (not seen by lenders, but you can view who is accessing you credit file with soft hits.)

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 4th 2015 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Ash14297 (Post 11520897)
I must be one of the luck ones then. I've been here since March. Transferred my UK Amex card to US and was approved instantly. Applied for car lease and was approved direct with the dealership. 1 month after I got approved for a second Amex card and a capital one card. Another month after that I got a Bank Of America credit card. Of course I don't use them all, and it put a massive hit on my already pretty non existent credit score getting all of these new accounts in such a short space of time BUT it instantly began pushing my credit score up rapidly. I've been able to track my credit on CreditKarma since about July/August and its now at an above average number. I never had any problems with my SSN not being recognized.

I've been doing the opposite on credit karma, watching my score go down little by little. I left the US 11 years ago, and did attempt to keep a credit card there, but the bank closed the account when they learned of my departure.

Now there is nothing on it all hence the low score.

audio Jan 4th 2015 4:20 am

Originally Posted by H Bomb (Post 11504694)
My wife and I moved to NYC back in July and were issues our SSNs on 1st August.

When we moved into our first apartment mid August, we needed to provide SSN when setting up Verizon and ConEd, and were told by both SSN was not recognized. We just assumed they had only been on the system for a week so probably nothing to worry about.

Last week we tried to purchase NYS lottery tickets online, and today I tried to check credit rating with Credit Karma, and again got the message SSN was not recognized.

I called up Social Security and they said all was set up fine.

So what is going wrong - or is this usual? Both my wife and I are having the same issue.

A colleague had a similar problem. S/Security received incorrect details from immigration, his first and middle names were joined as one, i.e. no space. Caused all sorts of problems with credit ratings and I/D.