Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN needed to Buy a Car?

SSN needed to Buy a Car?

Old Mar 18th 2011, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

AmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud of
Default SSN needed to Buy a Car?

Hi

We move to New Jersey on the 30th March and thought that we could buy a car as soon as we arrive HOWEVER our relocation "helper" has told us today that we will not be able to buy and drive a car off of a "Car Lot" until we have our SSN!

If this is correct could we buy a car from a "Private" seller and get round it that way?

We thought that it would only take about 10 days to get our SSN however supposidly there are delays of upto 6 weeks to get one !! (our helper person today us this today also ARG!)

Thanks
Ax
Old Mar 18th 2011, 12:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN needed to Buy a Car?

Originally Posted by AmandaLS
Hi

We move to New Jersey on the 30th March and thought that we could buy a car as soon as we arrive HOWEVER our relocation "helper" has told us today that we will not be able to buy and drive a car off of a "Car Lot" until we have our SSN!

If this is correct could we buy a car from a "Private" seller and get round it that way?

We thought that it would only take about 10 days to get our SSN however supposidly there are delays of upto 6 weeks to get one !! (our helper person today us this today also ARG!)

Thanks
Ax
Car dealers will not allow you to drive the car away until they have verified your insurance cover...I don't know about a SSN.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 18th 2011 at 12:43 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 12:53 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Ax
I went through exactly this in NJ years ago. You can buy a car as long as they have proof of insurance, getting insurance in NJ in 2002 was a bit of a nightmare, but it may be easier now. I actually spoke to someone at the NJ MVC who were really helpful. They told me that I couldn't be denied insurance based on not having an SSN (and I was actually still without a visa, although it had just been approved, I was just on a trip organising things and went back to get the actual visa). I did finally find insurance and bought a used car from a dealer. One of the things that tripped me up was that the dealer was going to deal with the registration, but it turned out they couldn't because of the lack of SSN (or maybe it was lack of NJ license, can't recall), and I had to convince the workers there that I could legitimately register the car. It was lucky I had the name of someone at the MVC. It was actually about 5 months after that when I actually got my ssn.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

I would press said helper on that point and ask for a better explanation. You might need the SSN or the confirmation that you're not eligible for one to get a drivers license (which you might need to register a car) but I've not heard of any state that requires you to have an SSN to register the car. And I certainly wouldn't hand out an SSN to just anybody who asks for it, be it a car dealer or not.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

AmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
I would press said helper on that point and ask for a better explanation. You might need the SSN or the confirmation that you're not eligible for one to get a drivers license (which you might need to register a car) but I've not heard of any state that requires you to have an SSN to register the car. And I certainly wouldn't hand out an SSN to just anybody who asks for it, be it a car dealer or not.
Thanks Tim.

This is what our relocation expert said in her email:

Buying a car: No. You can buy the car anytime, but you can not drive it off the lot until you have a SSN card (and car insurance, but that can be obtained in a matter of hours).
Many dealers will even tell you that you will need a NJ drivers license to buy a car, but this info is not true. If the dealer tells you this, I usually speak to the dealer and advise them what nr to call to verify that you do not need a drivers license but only a SSN card. Please make sure that the dealer is aware of this before you buy the car. There are some dealers who will not sell the car unless you have a valid NJ license. Obtaining a NJ license is a whole different process which requires taking a knowledge test. You need a SSN to apply for a NJ license

We will be buying the car Cash so no credit required and have our UK driving License and International Driving Permit... obviously we will have insurance in place!!

We are coming over on a L1 visa - Hubby and the Kids and myself an L2 visa - don't know if that helps!!!

My hubby has looked into what you need to register the car but it doesn't look like they need an SSN.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Ax
If your husband's employer is NJ based you may be able to get auto insurance from NJ Manufacturers. They have the best reputation by far in this state.

Back in 1996 we couldn't get auto insurance without a NJ driver's license...of course that may have changed.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 18th 2011 at 2:29 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If your husband's employer is NJ based you may be able to get auto insurance from NJ Manufacturers. They have the best reputation by far in this state.

Back in 1996 we couldn't get auto insurance without a NJ driver's license...of course that may have changed.
Thanks Jerseygirl,

His job is based in NJ so we will have a look at NJM for a quote.

I am SO stressed and rather fed up as we have had no "nice" surprises since we said "YES" to this blooming job! It will better be worth it
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks Jerseygirl,

His job is based in NJ so we will have a look at NJM for a quote.

I am SO stressed and rather fed up as we have had no "nice" surprises since we said "YES" to this blooming job! It will better be worth it
It is difficult at first but at least you can always come on here and ask for advice...or just have a good old moan.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 3:43 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tim.

This is what our relocation expert said in her email:

Buying a car: No. You can buy the car anytime, but you can not drive it off the lot until you have a SSN card (and car insurance, but that can be obtained in a matter of hours).
Many dealers will even tell you that you will need a NJ drivers license to buy a car, but this info is not true. If the dealer tells you this, I usually speak to the dealer and advise them what nr to call to verify that you do not need a drivers license but only a SSN card. Please make sure that the dealer is aware of this before you buy the car. There are some dealers who will not sell the car unless you have a valid NJ license. Obtaining a NJ license is a whole different process which requires taking a knowledge test. You need a SSN to apply for a NJ license

We will be buying the car Cash so no credit required and have our UK driving License and International Driving Permit... obviously we will have insurance in place!!

We are coming over on a L1 visa - Hubby and the Kids and myself an L2 visa - don't know if that helps!!!

My hubby has looked into what you need to register the car but it doesn't look like they need an SSN.
Unless the rules have changed (quite possible) then there is no requirement to have a SSN. I would be inclined to call the NJ MVC to clarify, they were very helpful when I went through this:
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 160
Trenton, NJ 08666
(609) 292-6500 or toll free in NJ (888) 486-3339
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/
Old Mar 18th 2011, 4:13 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The SSN requirement is more likely a product of the slimy way car dealers work than law.

Dealers tend to insist that you drive away with the car on the day of the deal. However, if you have pre-arranged financing, it may fall through, and if you're paying in full, your check might bounce. To cover their sorry asses, they write up their own, second note to be used under such a scenario. If the primary financing closes, they tear up the second note. If it doesn't, they will revert to the second.

Here in AZ, it's common for them to tell you they require your SSN because of the Patriot act rather than admit that it's actually to pull your credit for their back-up loan. For those who like to amuse themselves with bottom feeders, take the URL of the Patriot act with you and ask them to find the relevant paragraph when they demand your SSN. Add a little wager to it as well if you like to really twist the dagger as you plunge it in.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

That's pretty much what I was thinking, too. It's apparently not uncommon, have a look here under the "Abuse of the Patriot Act" part.

I've asked this question on my favourite car nut forum as I know there are a couple of people from Jersey on there. I'll post in this thread again if I get a response there.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
That's pretty much what I was thinking, too. It's apparently not uncommon, have a look here under the "Abuse of the Patriot Act" part.

I've asked this question on my favourite car nut forum as I know there are a couple of people from Jersey on there. I'll post in this thread again if I get a response there.
Tim, Fatbrit, Neil and actually everyone who posted a reply Thank You SO much!!

It has changed a crisis into a manageable problem that we hopefully can overcome xx
Old Mar 18th 2011, 5:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Tim, Fatbrit, Neil and actually everyone who posted a reply Thank You SO much!!

It has changed a crisis into a manageable problem that we hopefully can overcome xx
Unless you are going to one of the luxury car dealersips expect a hard sell. The car salesmen will pounce on you before you can get through the door and they will pressure you to make the deal there and then. Before they will enter into any discussions they will want to make a note of all your details.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

From what I've heard back so far, it looks like for certain types of transactions the dealer can ask for your SSN even if you pay cash for your vehicles mainly for money laundering purposes and especially if it's a cash transaction that's large enough to have to be reported to the IRS.

Nobody mentioned if that's an issue for private sales and any private seller asking for my SSN if I wanted to give him money would hear two words, the second one being "Off".

Another simple way to avoid this crisis is to rent a car for the first month and after a couple of weeks when you've successfully made it into the USCIS computer system, go down to the local social security administration office and apply for a number in person. They can give you a letter with the number the following business day if you've applied early enough in the day (ie, not five minutes before closing). That's how I ended up getting my SSN as the 'automatic' process doesn't always work.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 5:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Unless you are going to one of the luxury car dealersips expect a hard sell. The car salesmen will pounce on you before you can get through the door and they will pressure you to make the deal there and then. Before they will enter into any discussions they will want to make a note of all your details.
Yep!

The site Tim referenced (carbuyingtips.com) should be read from cover to cover before attempting to step into any dealership.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.