British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   SSN Name Change Help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ssn-name-change-help-592319/)

jjbuchan Feb 18th 2009 3:13 pm

SSN Name Change Help

Hi there, I'm not sure where else to ask this so I'm hoping someone here can help. I can never get through to the embassy people on the phone and their email address kept bouncing back.

I am filling the SS-5-FS form to receive a ssn card and am unsure about the documentation required for proof of my name change.

I was born in England but live in Scotland (and have done for most of my life). I received a US passport a few years ago and at the time proved my name change by providing several identity documents which are in my current name. I do not have a Statutory Declaration or Deed Poll for this name change.

I am 22 and have a uk driving licence, us and uk passports and uk bank accounts all in my current name. I believe the only documentation which shows my birth name is my birth certificate.

What I would like to know is what documentation I would need to provide with this form to prove my name change? Is sending 3 documents with my current name enough? - I see on the website for the edinburgh embassy this is sufficient for changing the name on your passport, so I assume it is the same for ssn cards?

I want to be sure of what's required as I'll have to post my original documents away.

Thanks for any help.

MsElui Feb 18th 2009 4:32 pm

Re: SSN Name Change Help

not a direct answer - but a friend of mine changed his name one lunchtime at work. It cost about 50 quid. might be worth looking into that as it could be a cheap way to get a deed certificate etc.

meauxna Feb 18th 2009 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by jjbuchan (Post 7298247)
Hi there, I'm not sure where else to ask this so I'm hoping someone here can help. I can never get through to the embassy people on the phone and their email address kept bouncing back.

I am filling the SS-5-FS form to receive a ssn card and am unsure about the documentation required for proof of my name change.

I was born in England but live in Scotland (and have done for most of my life). I received a US passport a few years ago and at the time proved my name change by providing several identity documents which are in my current name. I do not have a Statutory Declaration or Deed Poll for this name change.

I am 22 and have a uk driving licence, us and uk passports and uk bank accounts all in my current name. I believe the only documentation which shows my birth name is my birth certificate.

What I would like to know is what documentation I would need to provide with this form to prove my name change? Is sending 3 documents with my current name enough? - I see on the website for the edinburgh embassy this is sufficient for changing the name on your passport, so I assume it is the same for ssn cards?

I want to be sure of what's required as I'll have to post my original documents away.

Thanks for any help.

You are not meant to send original documents if you are outside the US! Please read the bottom portion of the form instructions.

Go to ssa.gov and search for 'name change'--the types of acceptable documents are listed.
Also, whatever you did for your passport was sufficient. I'd think a copy of your US passport in that name would be powerful evidence.

meauxna Feb 19th 2009 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by jjbuchan (Post 7298247)
Thanks for any help.

If you come back, you have received a message from the Big Giant Head (thank you BGH!!). Please post a 'thank you' for this direct information you are getting.

Need to find out why the name is being changed, i.e. marriage, divorce, legal name change, if that's the case or is he just trying to figure out what documents to use since he did a name change way back when.

If the name on the SSN record matches his unexpired U.S.passport and there is no current name change involved he's good to go. That will cover identity and U.S. citizenship if U.S. citizenship hasn't already been established on the SSN record. Now if a name change is involved and there is no marriage or divorce (to change the last name) normally you need proof of a court ordered name change. Have no idea if in the U.K. a Statutory Declaration or Deed Poll are counted as court ordered legal name changes.

Needs to contact the FBU in London, since that's probably where the embassy or consulate in Scotland will send it and they have access to SSA records just like a field office here.

Federal Benefits Unit
American Embassy
24 / 31 Grosvenor Square
W1A 2LQ London
England
Phone: 44-207-499-9000
Fax: 44-207-495-7200

edit to add: this is what the FBU had to say on the subject:

Other than marriage/divorce, the Statutory Declaration or Deed Poll are virtually the only way to change your name in the UK. If people go to a Solicitor and ask for a Court Order name change, the Solicitor would simply advise them to sign a Statutory Declaration. They are considered "equivalent" to a Court Order and are based on old UK public law.

Hope this helps,
meauxna & BGH