Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN & motor vehicles - JUST THE FACTS

Wikiposts

SSN & motor vehicles - JUST THE FACTS

Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:46 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN & motor vehicles - JUST THE FACTS

Originally Posted by Bob
...and does limit where you can go on holiday.
You get to drive around in your $150 truck ...
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:48 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
You get to drive around in your $150 truck ...
If it came with a full tank of gas, that'd be a $50 truck.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:00 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If it came with a full tank of gas, that'd be a $50 truck.
Someone had to..

I sole my shitty 87 f150 that barely ran for $600 last year

is the OP's truck something like in the pic?
Attached Thumbnails SSN & motor vehicles - JUST THE FACTS-truck.jpg  
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:05 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Someone had to..

I sole my shitty 87 f150 that barely ran for $600 last year

is the OP's truck something like in the pic?
I'd pay $600 for that.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:42 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
I'd pay $600 for that.
Looks like a relatively cancer free '50. I'll give $601.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 8:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hemichrysler
I had to title my pickup truck to an American friend because Indiana will only title motor vehicles to people with a social security number! The same goes for the driving licence; no SSN, no licence.

Bob nailed it straight on.. it's not the the DMV won't register because you don't have a SSN, it's because you're not a RESIDENT. You don't live here. Of course if you think you do, please be sure to let the suit know on your next turn thru the POE.

And I do know a state, but I'm feeling stingy now.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hemichrysler
The link I will follow, but your comment was obnoxious.

You obviously feel that this would be of no benefit to anyone but me. That was not the aim. If I have a titling problem then others are likely in the same situation. It would not take long for folk to just state whether, without a SSN, they had been able to title a vehicle in such-and-such state.

RS

Had we have seen this thread prior to moving to the US it would have saved us alot of bother.

Although our situation was a little different to yours (we did have visa) we had no idea you needed to have license to buy or lease a car and to get that you needed either a SSN or letter from SS to say you couldnt have one.

Not sure about your situation but sounds odd, but for the O/P

New Jersey No