Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN & motor vehicles - JUST THE FACTS

Wikiposts

SSN & motor vehicles - JUST THE FACTS

Old May 21st 2007, 10:07 am
Just Joined

hemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nice
Default SSN & motor vehicles - JUST THE FACTS

I had to title my pickup truck to an American friend because Indiana will only title motor vehicles to people with a social security number! The same goes for the driving licence; no SSN, no licence.

It occurs to me that I could buy land in another, less awkward, state and title motor vehicles there.

I would like, therefore, to compile a list of states where one CAN title a motor vehicle without a SSN, and a list of states where one CANNOT.

Please - just the facts, based on personal experience.

I will start with these :

Arizona - YES
Indiana - NO
Old May 21st 2007, 10:23 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN & motor vehicles - JUST THE FACTS

Originally Posted by hemichrysler
I I would like, therefore, to compile a list of states where one CAN title a motor vehicle without a SSN, and a list of states where one CANNOT.
From this site http://www.dmv.org/
you can get to every state dmv .....
Happy compiling your list ... nobody is going to do it for you ..
Old May 21st 2007, 10:31 am
Just Joined

hemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nicehemichrysler is just really nice

The link I will follow, but your comment was obnoxious.

You obviously feel that this would be of no benefit to anyone but me. That was not the aim. If I have a titling problem then others are likely in the same situation. It would not take long for folk to just state whether, without a SSN, they had been able to title a vehicle in such-and-such state.

RS
Old May 21st 2007, 10:35 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The link I will follow, but your comment was obnoxious.
You obviously feel that this would be of no benefit to anyone but me. That was not the aim. If I have a titling problem then others are likely in the same situation. It would not take long for folk to just state whether, without a SSN, they had been able to title a vehicle in such-and-such state.

RS
The question must be ... why don't you have a SSN ...
Never seen the qustion come up in the last 4 years ...on any site ..
Old May 21st 2007, 10:38 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
The question must be ... why don't you have a SSN ...
Never seen the qustion come up in the last 4 years ...on any site ..
I think it has come up a few times. In order to get a DL, I had to get a letter from the SSA confirming that I was not entitled to a SSN.
Old May 21st 2007, 10:44 am
Just Joined

OK briefly... Started a business in Indiana but need to build up before applying for a long term visa, probably E2 Investor. Money coming in, but no Americans employed yet. Will apply for a visa, but not until more things are in place - don't want a rejection. Currently on VWP, hence cannot apply for SSN. Meanwhile, still have to drive about.

RS
Old May 21st 2007, 10:51 am
Ray

OK briefly... Started a business in Indiana but need to build up before applying for a long term visa, probably E2 Investor. Money coming in, but no Americans employed yet. Will apply for a visa, but not until more things are in place - don't want a rejection. Currently on VWP, hence cannot apply for SSN. Meanwhile, still have to drive about.

RS
So your working illegally ...good luck with you visa application ...
Old May 21st 2007, 11:08 am
Just Joined

No, the VWP permits directorial duties - steering a company.

You can check this upon the Internet, but it was also confirmed to me by the immigration officer last time I entered USA.

Most of my time, other than arguing with you, is spent getting the many legalities in place... qualification of my LLC, bank accounts, accountancy, etc.

I would be very grateful, given that you seem only to want to criticise me, if you would stay out of this thread and allow it to get back to the business of motor vehicle titling without SSN.

RS
Old May 21st 2007, 11:12 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: SSN & motor vehicles - JUST THE FACTS

You can check this upon the Internet, but it was also confirmed to me by the immigration officer last time I entered USA.

Most of my time, other than arguing with you, is spent getting the many legalities in place... qualification of my LLC, bank accounts, accountancy, etc.

I would be very grateful, given that you seem only to want to criticise me, if you would stay out of this thread and allow it to get back to the business of motor vehicle titling without SSN.

RS
..and tell him to put his tongue back in his mouth while your at it!
Old May 21st 2007, 11:12 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The agent at the POE was not an immigration officer. He knows about as much as you do. Zilch, Nada.

Call and confirm your directional duties with an immigration attorney.

RS
Old May 21st 2007, 11:13 am
Ray

No
RS
Your visa knowledge is sadly lacking ... but gladly ...
Old May 21st 2007, 11:50 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

I had to title my pickup truck to an American friend because Indiana will only title motor vehicles to people with a social security number! The same goes for the driving licence; no SSN, no licence.

It occurs to me that I could buy land in another, less awkward, state and title motor vehicles there.

I would like, therefore, to compile a list of states where one CAN title a motor vehicle without a SSN, and a list of states where one CANNOT.

Please - just the facts, based on personal experience.

I will start with these :

Arizona - YES
Indiana - NO
New Jersey does (or did in 2002), although I had problems at the local office -but before I bought the car I had confirmed that it was possible with someone at the state office and had their name in hand when I ran into problems. It took a while but eventually they called to confirm.

As for why I did it that way. I was already here when my L1 was approved so bought it in advance of going back to get the visa (in the days when there was no interview) to get things sorted for when I got back so at the time I was just on the visa waiver.
Old May 21st 2007, 1:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

being that your not here for the long term, you are still taking the mick with the VWP use, but anyway, just use your foreign license and your sorted as you ain't resident of the state are you.
Old May 21st 2007, 2:52 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

RS
It'll all end in tears! Did you not research the visa before you started. Or did you watch one of those telly progs about emigrating?
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:27 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

IANAL by any means but the VWP is for tourism/business but not work. My UK MD flying in for a couple of days to boss me about - I mean, exercising his responsibilities as a director of the company is "business". My boss moving over here for a year to build the company seems like "work"...

For myself, I'd want more than the non-binding word of some sweaty git in a polyester suit at an airport, I'd prefer to speak to an experienced immigration lawyer. But I'm very cautious by nature and it's your roulette wheel to spin!
Started a business in Indiana...
Wouldn't it just be easier to title it in the name of the company if it already exists, in that case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.