Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN how Long?

SSN how Long?

Old May 4th 2006, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of
Default Re: SSN how Long?

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
It is all to do with manual verification of you're immigration status. If you are not in the SAVE system then they have to send you're information to get verified. I went through this and it took over 2 months for me to get my ssn. Did you get any information or letter when u applied for the ssn?
I got a letter with reference nos. and phone nos. when I applied. Somebody in the SS office in the burb told me that I will receive another letter ( not card) in 2 weeks , our SSN. will be ready in the computer and will be able to go their office and check it. More than 3 weeks passed, not a single letter, keep calling the 800# but to no avail.,they keep blaming the immigration dept.
Old May 4th 2006, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elvira
Been there done that. Best not to dwell on it and use the downtime productively. Or just faff around on BE.

Why would the OP want to LEASE a car anyway? Bad idea..
Cant afford it in cash, I want to avail the 4 year manufacturer lease. Car loan from the bank also need SSN.

Also, We are asked for $500 deposit per line from Cingular Cellphone plan because we dont US credit history yet , since we need 2 lines,we have to $1000 deposit.

I was told by Cingular that it is common . Is this true ?Anyone ?
Old May 4th 2006, 5:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abboy
Cant afford it in cash, I want to avail the 4 year manufacturer lease. Car loan from the bank also need SSN.

Also, We are asked for $500 deposit per line from Cingular Cellphone plan because we dont US credit history yet , since we need 2 lines,we have to $1000 deposit.

I was told by Cingular that it is common . Is this true ?Anyone ?

Probably. Try Virgin PAYG.
Old May 4th 2006, 6:18 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

keep calling the 800# but to no avail.,they keep blaming the immigration dept.
Total waste of time for something like this. Need to go into the office where you applied to see what's going on. Be sure to take your documents with you.
Old May 4th 2006, 6:22 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
Total waste of time for something like this. Need to go into the office where you applied to see what's going on. Be sure to take your documents with you.
Ditto, listen to him!!
Old May 4th 2006, 6:52 pm
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

I applied for my Social Security Number more than 3 weeks ago and has not received it yet? I need SSN to lease a car. I have been calling the SSA office and they keep saying that they are just waiting from immigration dept.? Do I have to go to the SSA office personally and ask them to check it for me?

What is your experience on this?
Don't know if this will help your siuation, but a litle gem I was told by the SSA office when I applied for my SSN 2 years back. I was told that when I put in the app, that it would be 4-6 weeks before I received the card. No biggie, as that's what most people seem to be told, here's the biggie, I was told that if I went back to the SSA office 2 days after I put in the app, that they would be able to give me my SSN, but would still have to wait for the card. Sure enougth 2 days later, the clerk wrote my social down on a piece of paper for me and the card arrived in it's sweet time!

Wild
Old May 4th 2006, 6:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wildandcrazy0525
Don't know if this will help your siuation, but a litle gem I was told by the SSA office when I applied for my SSN 2 years back. I was told that when I put in the app, that it would be 4-6 weeks before I received the card. No biggie, as that's what most people seem to be told, here's the biggie, I was told that if I went back to the SSA office 2 days after I put in the app, that they would be able to give me my SSN, but would still have to wait for the card. Sure enougth 2 days later, the clerk wrote my social down on a piece of paper for me and the card arrived in it's sweet time!

Wild
Times have changed!!!
Old May 5th 2006, 1:15 am
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ray
Times have changed!!!
so change em back!! lol

seriously though, I know that a lot has change post 9/11, but it was 2003 when I came here, well after then. Hope it works for someone that's all

Wild
Old May 5th 2006, 4:38 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wildandcrazy0525

seriously though, I know that a lot has change post 9/11, but it was 2003 when I came here, well after then. Hope it works for someone that's all
EVERYONE makes excuses and blames things on 9/11 and that just pisses me right off cos in most cases it ain't true.
Old May 5th 2006, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

I have some experience. LOL

What visa classification did you enter with and when does it expire? If you have been calling the SSA 800#, you have been wasting your time. At some point you will need to go into the SSA office to see what's going on.
Came in as E3 , it expires on 2008.
Old May 5th 2006, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Just came back from the SS office in Bellevue, WA. They checked their computer and told me there is still no number, they are still waiting from the immigration.
I was also told that its no use going there personally to check without first receiving a confirmation letter from them. They said that there are people who filed 2 months ago are still waiting for their SSN.

Today is 4 weeks since I applied.
Old May 6th 2006, 4:01 am

Just came back from the SS office in Bellevue, WA. They checked their computer and told me there is still no number, they are still waiting from the immigration.
I was also told that its no use going there personally to check without first receiving a confirmation letter from them. They said that there are people who filed 2 months ago are still waiting for their SSN.

Today is 4 weeks since I applied.
Well after 30 days they are supposed to followup on the original G-845, si I would point out to them what their procedure is and if you give you a hard tim first ask for the office manager to pont out to him or her what's correct procedure and if you still don't get anywhere contact the Regional Office.

Refer them to this:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203740
RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

B. PROCEDURE – HOW TO REQUEST MANUAL VERIFICATION

STEP 6

DHS should respond to SSA within 15 federal work days after receiving
the Form G-845. If DHS does not respond within 15 federal work days from
the receipt of the G-845 from SSA, follow-up with the DHS, USCIS
Immigration Status office. (Allow 15 days plus five additional federal
work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from
DHS.

Follow local practice to follow-up with DHS. Some SSA offices have an
arrangement with the DHS, USCIS office to telephone for the follow-up
contact; other SSA offices send a copy of the original G-845 annotated
“second request.”) If the DHS response is still not received within 15
federal work days after the follow-up contact (if the follow-up is by
mail allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845
to be received at and returned from DHS), make a second follow-up
contact. If the DHS response is not received within 15 federal workdays
(again, if the follow-up is by mail, allow five additional federal work
days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from
DHS), after two follow-ups, contact the RO. Also report to the RO any trend that shows a serious deviation by DHS from the above time frames. The RO will consult with central office.
Old May 6th 2006, 6:22 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

We visited the SSA today.

Indeed, him indoors is NOT in the SAVE system yet. Bless their hearts, our local office requested his info *again* already but to no avail.

May I ask what freaking good a computer system run by DHS that is supposed to track "aliens" from the POE is if it cannot update within two weeks? I can see if my coworkers in India are hitting keystrokes as they type....
Old May 6th 2006, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny
We visited the SSA today.

Indeed, him indoors is NOT in the SAVE system yet. Bless their hearts, our local office requested his info *again* already but to no avail.

May I ask what freaking good a computer system run by DHS that is supposed to track "aliens" from the POE is if it cannot update within two weeks? I can see if my coworkers in India are hitting keystrokes as they type....
You certain nothing was there when they queried SAVE or just that it didn't show status as "temporary employment authorized" or his name could be misspelled (allowed one letter to be wrong) or date of birth is incorrect. Anyone of those three would cause the G-854 to be sent.
Old May 6th 2006, 1:51 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

You certain nothing was there when they queried SAVE or just that it didn't show status as "temporary employment authorized" or his name could be misspelled (allowed one letter to be wrong) or date of birth is incorrect. Anyone of those three would cause the G-854 to be sent.
Ours took 10 days was told the receipt was proof of SS status.. I know many had applied the same time and waited 6 weeks CT DMV is a pain they will not issue a licence with EAD and SSN they want proof of legal residence I got mine 10 years ago and they have never asked me for a SSN although it is supposed to be on file??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.