Wikiposts

SSN help?

Old Feb 5th 2016, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

CorinnaCrackles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN help?

Hi guys,

Me again, I got a social security number when first entering the US on my k1 visa before I got married. What's the protocol for changing my name on it?
I have sent out my AOS package.

Do I just need my marriage certificate? or do I need my I-94, visa and birth certificate like the first time round?

Many Thanks in advance.
Corinna
Old Feb 5th 2016, 4:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN help?

www.ssa.gov.

That said, you might as well wait until you have your green card in hand, because you'll need to go in again to get the work authorization legend removed when you become a PR. Save a trip and do both at that time.

Rene
Old Feb 5th 2016, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

CorinnaCrackles is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rene
Old Feb 5th 2016, 9:30 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
www.ssa.gov.

That said, you might as well wait until you have your green card in hand, because you'll need to go in again to get the work authorization legend removed when you become a PR. Save a trip and do both at that time.

Rene
You really dont have to go in to have it removed, it really makes no difference, i'm has been the same for 15 yrs and never need to show or keep on hand your SSN card.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 9:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

True, it doesn't change any benefits, but it helps if you want to use the SS Card along with a drivers license as hiring documents on the I-9.

Rene
Old Feb 5th 2016, 9:54 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
True, it doesn't change any benefits, but it helps if you want to use the SS Card along with a drivers license as hiring documents on the I-9.

Rene
Yeah possibly maybe, no one ever questioned me, i'm sure you're way is the correct way, just not one employer ever needed a SSN card without the additional employment verbiage, especially once i had my green card.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 11:36 am

If you're showing your green card then it's obvious the SS Card legend doesn't apply, so an employer wouldn't ask for one without the legend. But if someone is trying to use just the SS Card and DL, and the SS Card has the legend, the employer will ask for an EAD.

Rene