SSN and EAD

Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

teaisbest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN and EAD

hi all
I see this topic has come up before but just wanted to add my experience.

I'm on an L2 visa, currently waiting for my EAD. Just got back from the Brooklyn SS office, queued for 2 hours to be told that my visa doesnt allow me to work so I can't have an SSN. I explained that I can work, once I get my EAD, and she said maybe, try coming back after that.

And I understand I need an SSN to apply for a driving licence, so it seems I cant do much at the moment. Feel a bit like a non entity....
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:15 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN and EAD

Originally Posted by teaisbest
hi all

I'm on an L2 visa, currently waiting for my EAD. Just got back from the Brooklyn SS office, queued for 2 hours to be told that my visa doesnt allow me to work so I can't have an SSN. I explained that I can work, once I get my EAD, and she said maybe, try coming back after that.

And I understand I need an SSN to apply for a driving licence, so it seems I cant do much at the moment. Feel a bit like a non entity....
You were told wrong. Do you want to fight it or give up?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

hi all

print this out and go back
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... queued for 2 hours to be told that my visa doesnt allow me to work so I can't have an SSN.
They lied. Go back (or go to a difference SSA office) and ask to speak to a supervisor. If you have a valid L2 visa, you can get a SSN without an EAD.

Ian
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
They lied. Go back (or go to a difference SSA office) and ask to speak to a supervisor. If you have a valid L2 visa, you can get a SSN without an EAD.

Ian
I'll just add the pedantry of "L-2 spouse".
L-2 children may not.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

teaisbest is an unknown quantity at this point

ok thanks, I will try again, the linked doc clearly states you dont need an EAD just a marriage certificate which I have doesnt it. she just refered to her computer which said I couldnt have an ssn, but I will persist...
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

ok thanks, I will try again, the linked doc clearly states you dont need an EAD just a marriage certificate which I have doesnt it. she just refered to her computer which said I couldnt have an ssn, but I will persist...
Have you waited the 10 days since arrival?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:47 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

The mrs is having a similar issue - DMV tell her she needs a SSN, but SS office telling her she can't have SSN without an EAD (which we've applied for but are waiting to turn up).

DMV now telling us to get a letter form SS saying that she'd ineligible for a SSN and they'll let her get a temporary driving license.

Friggin insane - the bureaucracy in this country is mental.

So - can she get a SSN without an EAD?? I'm on an L-1A she's on L-2 spouse...

(and if you understand all that I applaud you!)
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously!
They are crazy making.

An L-2 spouse is eligible for a Social Security Number without lifting her pretty little finger. She needs to take evidence of her L-2 status (the visa +I-94) and her marriage certificate to show she is married to you. Take copies of your L-1 stuff.

TAKE THIS DOCUMENT: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500
This is SSA's internal operating memo. It clearly says that an L-2 spouse is employment authorized "incident to status".
She does NOT need the EAD to get the SSN.
She DOES need the EAD to actually work/be hired.

Your DMV may limit her driving license to the validity of her status.. aka the date on her I-94.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:59 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Seriously!
They are crazy making.

An L-2 spouse is eligible for a Social Security Number without lifting her pretty little finger. She needs to take evidence of her L-2 status (the visa +I-94) and her marriage certificate to show she is married to you. Take copies of your L-1 stuff.

TAKE THIS DOCUMENT: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500
This is SSA's internal operating memo. It clearly says that an L-2 spouse is employment authorized "incident to status".
She does NOT need the EAD to get the SSN.
She DOES need the EAD to actually work/be hired.

Your DMV may limit her driving license to the validity of her status.. aka the date on her I-94.
Thanks. So we (or rather my employer) could have saved the $s and not applied for an EAD for her then? Would have thought the darn immigration lawyers might have known that....
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Rob_999
Thanks. So we (or rather my employer) could have saved the $s and not applied for an EAD for her then? Would have thought the darn immigration lawyers might have known that....
Not sure what you mean.. does your wife intend to not work?

The EAD is useful otherwise.. it may be required for a driver's license in your state.

There's a difference between what SSA requires as "employment authorized" and what is required to BE employed. If she wants to work, she needs the EAD in hand.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:25 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I am L2 (Hubby L1A) and I have an SSN and no EAD nor do I want an EAD as I don't want any 'E' .

It's not just your drivers licence that the SSN is handy for I was asked for my SSN for our mortgage, our tax return and anything that needs a credit check.

My son on the other hand does not get an SSN even though he is also L2 he gets an ITIN which is required for our tax return.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

I think we were very lucky with our SSN experience, which was in Minneapolis. We got there 10 minutes before opening time, and were out in about half an hour. The waiting room was a lot fuller as we were leaving! We're L1(him) and L2(me) and had a very personable and helpful clerk (is that the right name??). He put my husband's form straight in, and delayed mine for 3 days because they don't like to issue consecutive numbers to family members.

In Minnesota SSN is not required for the driving licence, but makes it easier as you have to provide less paperwork.
And until we provided the bank with our SSNs, we kept getting tax forms that we didn't understand

My EAD on the other hand, seems to be taking a bit longer.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:00 am
Bring on the snow!

Originally Posted by meauxna
Not sure what you mean.. does your wife intend to not work?

The EAD is useful otherwise.. it may be required for a driver's license in your state.

There's a difference between what SSA requires as "employment authorized" and what is required to BE employed. If she wants to work, she needs the EAD in hand.
Ahh - okay, I assumed that once you have a SSN you can work.
She has no plans to go back to work (we have a 10 month old daughter), but wanted the option just in case.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Rob_999
Ahh - okay, I assumed that once you have a SSN you can work.
She has no plans to go back to work (we have a 10 month old daughter), but wanted the option just in case.
Ah, right, well everything should be on track then.
The SSN is a tax ID#, but because it is unique to every individual, its use has been stretched to cover all manner of practical purposes. (driving license etc) There's a real value in getting one.

When it comes to actually working, you will need the SSN, but in itself it doesn't give permission to work. That comes from the immigration status one holds, and if needed, the extra documents. EAD = 'work permit'.

I'd say, go get the SSN straightened out, and when the EAD comes, she's got the option to go get a job of some kind if she chooses.