Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN, driving license and order of getting stuff?

SSN, driving license and order of getting stuff?

Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute
Default SSN, driving license and order of getting stuff?

Hi all,

All of the final approvals for my relocation have been done now and we are ready to get going on the process. However, from my research so far, I believe that I need to get an SSN first (proof of visa etc), then apply for a driving license and then other stuff like bank accounts and so on.

But I was talking with some of my US colleagues yesterday who said that I dont need an SSN - its only needed if I want to claim benefits. I thought this was odd, but just want to check.

I thought the SSN bit was the first important part, then a bank account and driving license and then lease a house etc... can someone just let me know? Oh, and relocating to California.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN, driving license and order of getting stuff?

you will find it is THE most important thing...without it you don't exist !!!

you can open a bank account without one but with ID - but no license etc without
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by off_again
Hi all,

All of the final approvals for my relocation have been done now and we are ready to get going on the process. However, from my research so far, I believe that I need to get an SSN first (proof of visa etc), then apply for a driving license and then other stuff like bank accounts and so on.

But I was talking with some of my US colleagues yesterday who said that I dont need an SSN - its only needed if I want to claim benefits. I thought this was odd, but just want to check.

I thought the SSN bit was the first important part, then a bank account and driving license and then lease a house etc... can someone just let me know? Oh, and relocating to California.

Thanks in advance.
SSN is the key to most things and California requires one to get your driver's license. See here: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#two500
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
you will find it is THE most important thing...without it you don't exist !!!

you can open a bank account without one but with ID - but no license etc without
#1 SSN. Without a shadow of a doubt. No question at all. Without an SSN you apparently don't exist in the US. .... As a US resident is can be very tricky to open a bank account because your SSN is your federal tax number, and banks need to know how to report your interest to the IRS and the ID number to print on your annual tax certificate that you'll need to prepare your tax return.

Also any employer will expect you to provide your SSN when you start a job, or very soon afterwards. In most states you will need your SSN to apply for a drivers licence, or a letter from the SS Admin that you are not eligible for one.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the replies - that is what I thought. Seems odd that three US citizens didnt think I did. But hey, one is from Georgia, one from Washington DC and the other New Hampshire....

;-)

Looks like I need to get over their pronto and get applying for stuff.

Separate question - Brookfield GRC - anyone used them before? They are our corporate supplier for relocation services. Anything to be aware of or to look out for?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 3:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by off_again
Thanks all for the replies - that is what I thought. Seems odd that three US citizens didn't think I did. ....
Yet again we discover that one of the worst sources of US immigration information is someone born a USC in the US.

Honestly, as a British citizen, I can't tell you a whole lot about immigration into the UK, and immigration is one of those things that, unless you're an immigration attorney, you're not going to know a whole lot about regarding immigration into the county of which you were born a citizen.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

But hey, one is from Georgia, one from Washington DC and the other New Hampshire....

Meaning??!!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
But hey, one is from Georgia, one from Washington DC and the other New Hampshire....

Meaning??!!
Ignorance is widespread.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:12 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Ignorance is widespread.
Libertarians. They're libertarians.

Yes, I'm familiar with the notion, from when I was involved with them, that a SSN is "not a defacto ID number" (though it is in reality) and that you should be able to work "under the radar" or as an independent contractor without one and then assume liability for the income taxes that crazy people say you do not technically owe. (Don't ever agree to being an independent contractor, by the way, if you don't understand what the difference between being an independent contractor and being an employee is.)

Don't get in trouble; you need the SSN for sure. You need it for being hired as an employee (since the employer needs a number to report your tax contribution and income to) unless you have an ITIN and are not eligible for an SSN. Your bank will need it for certain kinds of accounts. Technically, any time you have income, you need to supply a tax ID number for tax reporting purposes. You have to get an SSN if you are eligible for one.

Last edited by Speedwell; Jan 9th 2014 at 8:15 pm.