Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN and driving licence

SSN and driving licence

Old Aug 9th 2016, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN and driving licence

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'd be willing to bet that most US police officers don't know what an Internationally Driving Permit looks like.
Here on BE we generally hold ourselves to a higher standard than what someone might be able to "get away with", but in any case what you can "get away with" can change very quickly if you are involved in a serious accident.

Even a minor traffic stop for speeding or failling to stop at a STOP sign could escalate quickly, and if you are out of the validity period for an out-of-state license, you could easily find yourself being charged with not having valid insurance as well as not having a valid license.

If you have just run into someone's vintage Ferrari, or injured a professional sportsman, not having valid insurance is likely to bankrupt you.
I agree most police officers wouldn't have much experience with an international drivers license, but I do think most would accept.

As far as driving on an out of state license at least in what I have heard off it is accepted though there can be a fine if you considered a local resident.

I agree of course one shouldn't drive on an expired license wherever it is from.