Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN and driving licence

SSN and driving licence

Old Jul 11th 2016, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Annelouise86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN and driving licence

How long after entering the country on my CR1 spouse visa will it be before I get my social security number. I'm going to Iowa and apparently I can only drive on my UK licence for 30 days in that State, yet need my SSN to get my US driving licence. I'm worried about if I get a job and then can't drive to get to it because my number hasn't come, or I haven't passed my test. It's not as if you can get taxis or public transport....
Old Jul 11th 2016, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN and driving licence

You should be able to get your SSN by visiting the SS office about 10 days after you arrive. It may not be there waiting for you, but you should be able to get it pretty quickly.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 7:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

For several reasons it might not be possible for you to complete your driving test and get your license within the 30 days, but so long as you have started the process and can prove you have used your best endeavors to complete the licensing process ASAP (carry the test paperwork, date information etc. with you), you are highly unlikely to have an issue wven if you are stopped by the police.

Many US citizens go for months or even years without changing their license when they move to another state - a colleague of mine from MA never changed her license, or her car registration, in the four years she lived in NC. So while driving beyond the 30 days isn't ideal, I wouldn't worry too much about it, so long as you have started the process and moved as far along as you are able to. .... Also bear in mind that there isn't any easy way for the police, or anyone else, to easily prove exactly when you became resident and the 30 day clock started ticking, so it is just about impossible for the police to issue you with a ticket for an out of state license without a good bit more digging.

Tip: When it comes to the road test, you may be able to get a test date much sooner out in the sticks than in the city where you live.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 11th 2016 at 7:03 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 6:54 am
Just Joined

Annelouise86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. Very helpful.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 4:57 pm
WJB
Just Joined

WJB is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest that you obtain an International Driving License. They are valid for 1 year. That should give you enough time to get sorted out.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJB
I suggest that you obtain an International Driving License. They are valid for 1 year. That should give you enough time to get sorted out.
Utterly pointless.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 5:07 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJB

That does not improve upon holding a UK license and certainly doesn't permit a resident to drive without a state license for a longer period. They only help a vacationer if the original license is in a language other than English. Don't waste your money, OP.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 5:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJB
That is a completely worthless suggestion.

(i) an "international drivers license" is only a translation of your existing driving licence, presumably from the UK, so has no usefulness under most circumstances in the US.

AND

(ii) the validity of ANY out of state drivers license in the US is determined by state law, and all US states have a limit of not more than 90 days (some are 60 days, 30 days, or as little as 10 days) after someone "establishes residence" in the state per the state law, to obtain a state drivers license.

As a visitor to the US, traveling around, you have upto one year (even without the international DL), but once you "establish residence" in a state, a completely different set of rules apply.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJB
As others have said this does nothing to meet US driving requirements.

Those requirements vary from state to state so any new resident must follow the requirements for the state where they live.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 5:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I second the continue with the UK license advice I moved over a month ago to a new state and do not have my new state driver's license. Failed the vision test I suffer from somewhat diminished sight from 4 eye surgeries for a detached retina (scar tissue, etc.) and subsequent glaucoma that went undetected by the retina surgeon and his office. Life's a bitch sometimes. I've had the new doc complete the vision form and will go today to get the license. God willing, that is.

PS from the AAA website:

Why Carry an IDP?

Your IDP is a valid form of identification in 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information. It translates your identification information into 10 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don't. Most countries highly recommend an International Driving Permit.

An IDP gives you peace of mind while you're out exploring the world - even if you're not planning to drive!

Last edited by Rete; Aug 9th 2016 at 5:57 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is a completely worthless suggestion.

(i) an "international drivers license" is only a translation of your existing driving licence, presumably from the UK, so has no usefulness under most circumstances in the US.

AND

(ii) the validity of ANY out of state drivers license in the US is determined by state law, and all US states have a limit of not more than 90 days (some are 60 days, 30 days, or as little as 10 days) after someone "establishes residence" in the state per the state law, to obtain a state drivers license.

As a visitor to the US, traveling around, you have upto one year (even without the international DL), but once you "establish residence" in a state, a completely different set of rules apply.
Would be interested if anyone has experience with the international driving license ? I would be willing to bet most police officers would accept from a tourist or someone who appears to be a tourist.

In moving states my experience was generally one could get away with license from another state for quite a while, but eventually could be a problem from a more zealous officer.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Would be interested if anyone has experience with the international driving license ? I would be willing to bet most police officers would accept from a tourist or someone who appears to be a tourist.

In moving states my experience was generally one could get away with license from another state for quite a while, but eventually could be a problem from a more zealous officer.
It isn't just a matter of what the cops might say or do. Get into a wreck as a tourist or resident without a legal license and see what your insurers have to say.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 6:59 pm

Would be interested if anyone has experience with the international driving license ? I would be willing to bet most police officers would accept from a tourist or someone who appears to be a tourist. ....
I'd be willing to bet that most US police officers don't know what an Internationally Driving Permit looks like.
..... In moving states my experience was generally one could get away with license from another state for quite a while, but eventually could be a problem from a more zealous officer.
Here on BE we generally hold ourselves to a higher standard than what someone might be able to "get away with", but in any case what you can "get away with" can change very quickly if you are involved in a serious accident.

Even a minor traffic stop for speeding or failling to stop at a STOP sign could escalate quickly, and if you are out of the validity period for an out-of-state license, you could easily find yourself being charged with not having valid insurance as well as not having a valid license.

If you have just run into someone's vintage Ferrari, or injured a professional sportsman, not having valid insurance is likely to bankrupt you.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 9:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you're driving a rental perhaps.

If not, you'll have a car registered in your name...so it's going to depend on if they can be bothered but I wouldn't bet on all those cops being stupid either. Going to depend on location and if they're a county deputy or a statie.

People get done fairly regularly down my way.

Anyway, it's really the insurance that's the big issue, as mentioned above.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 9:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
It isn't just a matter of what the cops might say or do. Get into a wreck as a tourist or resident without a legal license and see what your insurers have to say.
Just because you moved states does not invalidate your driver's license from the former state. It is still a legal license that you can drive with.

You can be fined for not having an in-state license but you still hold a valid license. Believe me, I checked it out. A friend driving her Florida registered and insured vehicle in New York State was stopped for an infraction and gave her NYS DL. The only thing she was told is to get her Florida license or change the registration on the vehicle to NYS.

BTW I got a full license this afternoon from the State of Mississippi. You would not believe the security checks they do on you. You have to take a photo, sign on the screen of a machine similar to a debit/credit card machine in a store and give a fingerprint. After you are approved for the license, you have to take another photo and sign again and these will appear on your license which you get within 10 minutes.

Last edited by Rete; Aug 9th 2016 at 9:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.