British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   SSN Delay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ssn-delay-773635/)

coxinio Oct 4th 2012 7:07 pm

SSN Delay

Hi all,

Quick background, my wife and I moved to Virginia on the 20th August, with myself on L1 and the wife L2.

We are loving things here so far however I seem to have fallen through the cracks when it comes to getting my SSN. After reading the great advice on here awe waited the 10 days before going to the SSN office, my wife's details went through ok and she got here number through the post in a matter of days. Unfortunatley for me I am still pending on their system a full 5 weeks later.

Last week I went back to the SSN office and they directed me to USCIS to make an appt there and check my details were correct on the USCIS system (which they were). Having called the SSN office today the lady has suggested I go back to SSA and file a new application to start the process again.

As this is fast becoming a pain (can't get paid properly or register the lease car we have ordered). I wondered if anyone else had been through this?

If I go back to SSA and submit a new application, does that mean if they still can't match me up in the system that I could potentially reset the 5 weeks I have already waited or would it be better as I've waited this long, to hold out and see if the current application comes good?

ian-mstm Oct 4th 2012 10:10 pm

Re: SSN Delay

Originally Posted by coxinio (Post 10313726)
I wondered if anyone else had been through this?

Have you considered either going to a different SSA office, or asking to speak to a supervisor?

Ian

Tea_and_biccies Oct 5th 2012 2:01 pm

My husband arrived on August 5, and it took til mid September for his SSN to arrive. As you say this meant he couldn't be paid, couldn't book driving tests for state DL (to buy a car), couldn't register with the healthcare system..

Would your husband's work be able to help..? Our relocation lady and my OH were able to get in touch with the SSN office and help expediate the card. However, this took weeks.

This delay has had lots of knock-ons, such as the children may have to leave school if we can't get one one of their immunisations. I hope you get it sorted soon.

coxinio Oct 5th 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks for the replies, I'm pleased to say that as I went to the SSA office again this morning, I managed to speak to the rep I had dealt with previously and she had had approval only yesterday having had to send everything off for manual approval.

I nearly fell off my chair when she told me as it was a pretty big relief, however it does leave me wondering if I had not gone in person, how long it would have remained on the desk waiting to be dealt with? The approval stamp on the letter she had was the 26th September!!

I now have SSN in hand & looking forward to pay day!

guitarmaan Oct 8th 2012 5:05 am

Interesting thread, because I'm going through exactly the same thing ;)

I ticked the box for a SSN prior to arrival, but also visited a SS office in person later on to make sure the process got underway.

And here I am about 3 weeks after visiting the SS office in Phoenix still with no number. I got the green card very quickly, but not this.

I'm contacting the office tomorrow, because without it I can't even get a driving license and my insurance on a UK license expires after 20 days! :ohmy: I also want to enquire about a job tomorrow, and not having the SSN isn't helpful...

coxinio Oct 8th 2012 1:59 pm

Hey Guitarmaan,

The wait was a nightmare.

I managed to get my driving license without SSN (although it wasn't straight forward).

They accepted my passport - with visa and I-94, along with proof of VA residence and then an original copy of my original I-797 ( I had to request this from my immigration attorney). I also took with me proof that I had applied for SSN, but they didn't even look at it.

Appreciate the state laws might be different where you are but could be worth a shout?

Noorah101 Oct 8th 2012 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by guitarmaan (Post 10319036)
I ticked the box for a SSN prior to arrival, but also visited a SS office in person later on to make sure the process got underway.

And here I am about 3 weeks after visiting the SS office in Phoenix still with no number.

What did they say at the SS office when you went in person to check on it?

Rene

guitarmaan Oct 9th 2012 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10320176)
What did they say at the SS office when you went in person to check on it?

Rene

The guy there started the process from step 1, and I gave our temporary motel address. I didn't mention I'd ticked a box prior to arrival because I thought it might complicate things. He said it would arrive within 7-10 days. After reading 4-6 weeks many times online, it did sound a bit optimistic, but I didn't question it.

My American wife also applied for a replacement card at the time, and hers arrived a while ago. So the delay must be linked directly to my immigrant status.

The problem is as time goes on, our address keeps changing. We were initially in Chicago, then this motel in AZ, and very soon a house in AZ. I don't want to keep giving different addresses, but since we're leaving this motel soon I have no choice really.

Noorah101 Oct 9th 2012 1:29 am

Originally Posted by guitarmaan (Post 10320673)
The guy there started the process from step 1, and I gave our temporary motel address. I didn't mention I'd ticked a box prior to arrival because I thought it might complicate things. He said it would arrive within 7-10 days. After reading 4-6 weeks many times online, it did sound a bit optimistic, but I didn't question it.

My American wife also applied for a replacement card at the time, and hers arrived a while ago. So the delay must be linked directly to my immigrant status.

The problem is as time goes on, our address keeps changing. We were initially in Chicago, then this motel in AZ, and very soon a house in AZ. I don't want to keep giving different addresses, but since we're leaving this motel soon I have no choice really.

How long after your arrival in the USA did you go in person to the SS office? Did the agent say you were "in the system", or did he mention "manual verification" at all?

Too late now, but I think you should have mentioned having already ticked that box...you might even end up with 2 different SS numbers, which then you'll have to get straightened out and consolidated. When you ticked the box, it started an application for you. When you went in person, it seems you did another separate application.

It takes about a week or two to get your immigration information in the SAVE system which SS uses to verify your status. If you went in too soon, you might not have been in their system yet, and the agent could have ordered a manual verification, which can take 4 - 6 weeks to clear.

I'd go back in to a different SS office and just follow up...don't apply again...just ask about the current application, and see if they have you in the SAVE system yet, and if your status has been verified.

I suppose it also could have been that the card was mailed to a previous address and you've since moved. Either way, if you go in person, if you have been verified in the system, they can give you the number in person...even if the card has gone missing by mail.

Rene

GeoffM Oct 9th 2012 4:41 am

Originally Posted by guitarmaan (Post 10320673)

Can't you set up a mail redirect? Or a mail hold?

guitarmaan Oct 9th 2012 5:13 am

"How long after your arrival in the USA did you go in person to the SS office? Did the agent say you were "in the system", or did he mention "manual verification" at all?"

I applied on the 14th of September in person. We arrived in the States on the 4th. So a duplication might be possible I suppose.... ten days difference. He didn't mention manual verification, and did say 7-10 days for arrival.

If I get two numbers I'll straighten it out. It was maybe too early to go in but I wanted to be sure something was happening. So far nothing has arrived at all, either here in AZ or elsewhere. In person I gave the motels address, and on the form ages ago I gave a relatives address in Chicago.

"Either way, if you go in person, if you have been verified in the system, they can give you the number in person...even if the card has gone missing by mail."

ok so in person is better than by phone then? The office is some distance away. If that's what it takes though I'll do it!

"Can't you set up a mail redirect? Or a mail hold?"

We have a permanent address now in AZ with a mailbox. So when I contact them next I can inform them about it & at least that will be simplified.

thanks

Noorah101 Oct 9th 2012 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by guitarmaan (Post 10320901)
"Either way, if you go in person, if you have been verified in the system, they can give you the number in person...even if the card has gone missing by mail."

ok so in person is better than by phone then? The office is some distance away. If that's what it takes though I'll do it!

SSA is not supposed to give out information over the phone because they cannot verify that it's you on the phone. They are only supposed to give out information in person so they can see you, and see your photo ID. However, I have seen reports on here that SSA employees DID give out SSNs over the phone...which I find scary.

Rene

guitarmaan Oct 10th 2012 1:40 am

ok so I have a social security number now!

I went to the Phoenix office in person, explained the delay and the new address. She gave me my number on the spot, and a card will be sent shortly. It's a relief and now I can work on getting an AZ license :thumbup:

I don't know if someone there has a sense of humor or it's coincidence, but the first three digits are 007. I've had quite a few James Bond jokes from people since arriving in the States :D

RICH Oct 10th 2012 1:45 am

Originally Posted by guitarmaan (Post 10322779)

I went to the Phoenix office in person, explained the delay and the new address. She gave me my number on the spot, and a card will be sent shortly. It's a relief and now I can work on getting an AZ license :thumbup:

I don't know if someone there has a sense of humor or it's coincidence, but the first three digits are 007. I've had quite a few James Bond jokes from people since arriving in the States :D

That's fun! I wonder how that came about. :)

Noorah101 Oct 10th 2012 5:19 am

Originally Posted by guitarmaan (Post 10322779)

Excellent!!! :)

Rene