Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN and credit

SSN and credit

Old Sep 17th 2016, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute
Default SSN and credit

Hi all,

Currently in the US and I'm now in receipt of a SSN. I'd like to start building a credit report so I've tried to use the likes of Credit Karma and Experian however both say my SSN is not recognized (upon contacting them it's too new).

I know some will have dealt with this before - has anyone a solution for this other than wait a few months till all these databases update?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 8:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN and credit

Not sure what you are trying to do but are you trying to look at those sites to see what your credit ratings are? If so and you don't have a credit card or a loan outstanding, then what have you done to build a rating? If nothing to date, then why would you need to credit your rating since you wouldn't have one. Or do you think that you can add information to their database yourself?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 8:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Patience is the most critical thing you need when trying to establish a credit history.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to start establishing a credit history. I have a phone on contract and no time like the present to start working on a credit rating.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 9:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notaclue
I'd like to start establishing a credit history. I have a phone on contract and no time like the present to start working on a credit rating.
And Creditkarma and Experian have nothing to do with establishing credit, nothing more than looking at pictures in a magazine has to do with photography. Those web sites let you look and proxy date for your credit history, but contrary to their advertising won't actually help you get credit or improve your credit score.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aha....so is it a case of apply to wherever accepts me and build it from there?

I had a perfect rating back home, shame it doesn't transfer!
Old Sep 17th 2016, 9:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Now you got it Toyota!
Old Sep 17th 2016, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

One thing you need to understand is that many agencies don't send reports to the big 3 credit agencies - so even if you use their services it doesn't help you at all with building a credit history. The best way to establish a credit history is get a credit card and use it often and responsibly. Getting a first US credit card isn't often easy, but a good place to start is the major gas stations: Chevron, BP, Shell, etc. After a few months, offers will start to arrive in the mail... then go for a VISA, Discover card.

Just so you know - it will take years to build up a good credit score... mostly, because you'll take a hit on your credit score simply because you don't have a long-established credit history.

Ian
Old Sep 18th 2016, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Don't happen to have an American Express card do you? They can transfer it to a US version. Getting a secured card from your local bank will be the easiest and quickest way. Bank of America, Wells Fargo...or a local credit union too.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 1:59 am

Aha....so is it a case of apply to wherever accepts me and build it from there?

I had a perfect rating back home, shame it doesn't transfer!
You're on an F-1, isn't campus awash with banks offering you credit cards? .... You should be in the middle of a credit environment that most new arrivals in the US can only dream of - credit card offers that are unlikely to be rejected.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 2:05 am
Concierge

Just curious if you have decided to marry? Hope mom-to-be is doing well.