Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ssn for children on L2 visa

Ssn for children on L2 visa

Old Jul 15th 2013, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

heather123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ssn for children on L2 visa

Help... Does anyone know if children aged 14 & 12 years should be entitled to apply for an ssn card. My husband is the main L1 applicant & the kids and I are on the L2, I have my ssn card. Today I went to the office to apply for the kids and was told that they are not entitled to apply or get one on there L2, is this correct? I have a friend who came over around 5 years ago on the L1 and his kids were on the L2 and they were issued a ssn card. The girl at the local office really didn't seem to be sure what she was talking about but she said that she consulted with someone else and the agreed no ssn!! I've tried to call the main social security helpline and explain to them but no one can answer my question.
Please help
Old Jul 15th 2013, 10:07 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ssn for children on L2 visa

As the spouse of an L1 holder I was an L2 and entitled to an SSN but my son (also L2) was not. When we filed our first tax return we got an ITIN for my son (Individual Tax Indentification Number). When we got our greencards he got an SSN.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

sanfranjones has a spectacular aura aboutsanfranjones has a spectacular aura aboutsanfranjones has a spectacular aura about

My daughter got a TIN (Tax Identity Number) rather than a SSN. You can use it on your tax returns, once your green cards come through they then issue a SSN.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

heather123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank u both so much you have put my mind at rest
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

My son came over on an L2 visa and he got a SSN number. I do know friends whose children didn't so there doesn't seem to be a general rule.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:27 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suexpat View Post
My son came over on an L2 visa and he got a SSN number. I do know friends whose children didn't so there doesn't seem to be a general rule.
He shouldn't have and it was issued in error.

Kids on L2's aren't authorised to work, so they have no basis to be given a SSN.

Have to apply for a ITIN during tax time.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
He shouldn't have and it was issued in error.

Kids on L2's aren't authorised to work, so they have no basis to be given a SSN.

Have to apply for a ITIN during tax time.
When we first lived in the US all my friends children were given SSN.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 1:38 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz View Post
As the spouse of an L1 holder I was an L2 and entitled to an SSN but my son (also L2) was not. When we filed our first tax return we got an ITIN for my son (Individual Tax Indentification Number). When we got our greencards he got an SSN.
This for us too
Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

L2 children can get a SSN if you can show a genuine need for one, but there are few genuine reasons they'd need it.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...ication-number

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/General-ITIN-Information