British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   SSN Application Process (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ssn-application-process-797021/)

miggy_magic May 14th 2013 3:40 pm

SSN Application Process

Hi folks,

I am shortly going to be relocating to the Bay Area and have a question about the Social Security Number application process.

I understand that I should wait about 10 days or so until after I arrive before turning up at the SSA to apply.

I also understand that my passport can be presented as a form of ID. My question is: is the passport retained until the SSN process completes, or is it just a case of presenting it at a counter and getting it straight back? I am concerned that I will need it for something else and also don't like the idea of it getting lost in some office.

BTW, I apologise if this question has been asked before but I did a search on the forum and nothing came up!

Thanks, MM

(Posting this again as I think my internet connection failed!).

Noorah101 May 14th 2013 4:21 pm

Re: SSN Application Process

Originally Posted by miggy_magic (Post 10707708)
I also understand that my passport can be presented as a form of ID. My question is: is the passport retained until the SSN process completes, or is it just a case of presenting it at a counter and getting it straight back?

They just need to see the original when you apply. You'll get it right back.

Rene

miggy_magic May 14th 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks Rene!

miggy_magic May 29th 2013 5:22 pm

Hi folks,

I have a follow up question for you since my family and I are now in the US (hooray!).

It is: when we arrived at SFO and went through immigration, the officer told us the I-94 is now the paperless system.

So I went online and retrieved each of our i-94 numbers via https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html

I wondered whether I can simply turn up at my local SSA and apply for the SSN right away, instead of waiting for the 10 days or so (which is the recommended period to wait, presumably based on the paperwork time).

Can any recent arrivals on the paperless i-94 shed any light?

Best regards, miggy_magic

Noorah101 May 29th 2013 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by miggy_magic (Post 10731014)
I wondered whether I can simply turn up at my local SSA and apply for the SSN right away, instead of waiting for the 10 days or so (which is the recommended period to wait, presumably based on the paperwork time).

You can try, but standard answer is that it takes about 10 days for your immigration information to get updated in the SAVE system, which is what SS uses to confirm your immigration status (it doesn't have anything to do with your I-94 form).

Can any recent arrivals on the paperless i-94 shed any light?
Probably not, as it's so new that I doubt many on here have entered with the paperless I-94 and then went on to get a SSN arranged.

I'd wait the 10 days, as per usual process. The paper or paperless I-94 doesn't have anything to do with your information going into the SAVE system, as far as I know.

Rene

jeffreyhy May 29th 2013 6:22 pm

You can, yes, but the office may not be able to process your application if you are not yet in SAVE. A big inconvenience for people whose 'local' SSA office is a few hour's travel, but in the Bay area your local office might be close enough that this wouldn't be a problem for you.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by miggy_magic (Post 10731014)

GeoffM May 29th 2013 7:47 pm

There's no harm in asking at the office to see if you're in the system yet. But make sure they don't manually apply for you as that pushes everything back - by weeks if not months apparently. If you're not in the system yet, walk out without further ado.

Anecdotal evidence (including myself) is that it's a lot quicker these days though.

miggy_magic Jun 5th 2013 7:13 pm

Forgot to say thanks for the replies to my question. Going on Friday to get my SSN's for the family, by which time we all should be in the system.

LeavingLondon Jun 6th 2013 9:09 am

Hi, just to say, we entered on our L1 visas on Saturday (25th May), via SFO Airport, sailed through immigration (no queue for visitors but there was a massive queue for US Citizens). The guy joked with us a little about where we'd left the kids (at home as we were only going out for a week), took our fingerprints, stamped our passports/visas and told us to have a fun trip. He asked us no questions, he gave us nothing and asked for nothing other than our passports which had our visas in. We went to the SS office in San Jose on the following Friday (Monday was Memorial Day) and the guy there processed us and told us we'd get our cards within a couple of weeks. We've since left the US until July so not sure whether that'll affect the process but they have a US address to send it to.

However, I'm not sure if there was something I could/should have done in advance to speed up this process (no that it matters)? Should I have filled in a form beforehand i.e. from the UK? I've never seen any form that requires me to tick a box about SS. Thought I'd ask as it might help others.

Noorah101 Jun 6th 2013 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by LeavingLondon (Post 10743536)
However, I'm not sure if there was something I could/should have done in advance to speed up this process (no that it matters)? Should I have filled in a form beforehand i.e. from the UK? I've never seen any form that requires me to tick a box about SS. Thought I'd ask as it might help others.

Nope, there was nothing else you could have done to speed up the SSN process. It will come in the mail at your US address.

Rene

LeavingLondon Jun 13th 2013 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10744113)
Nope, there was nothing else you could have done to speed up the SSN process. It will come in the mail at your US address.

Rene

Thanks!