Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN# After Spousal Visa Approved Query

SSN# After Spousal Visa Approved Query

Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

mcicki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN# After Spousal Visa Approved Query

Hello everyone, I have a question. My husbands spousal visa was approved and we decided to start our lives together in the United States. When we flew in we were told by immigration that he would receive his SSN in the mail and it could take 2 months? It has been 45 days now and I am getting concerned. I spoke to someone else who had a Fiance Visa and she was told they has to go to the social security office instead. Can anyone who has gone through this tell me if they had to just wait for it to be sent as well? Thankyou for your help!

Kind Regardsm
Mcicki
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:09 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN# After Spousal Visa Approved Query

Originally Posted by mcicki
Hello everyone, I have a question. My husbands spousal visa was approved and we decided to start our lives together in the United States. When we flew in we were told by immigration that he would receive his SSN in the mail and it could take 2 months? It has been 45 days now and I am getting concerned. I spoke to someone else who had a Fiance Visa and she was told they has to go to the social security office instead. Can anyone who has gone through this tell me if they had to just wait for it to be sent as well? Thankyou for your help!

Kind Regardsm
Mcicki
Go to the Social Security office. They can straighten things out for you. We went just a couple weeks after my husband came over just because he wanted to work right away. They already had his information in the system and could give him a printout verifying his number. His card came a couple weeks after that.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Did your husband arrive on an Immigrant Visa? Did he check the box "yes" on the visa application which asks if you want a SSN assigned to you automatically? If so, then the SS card should come in the mail within a month or two after entry.

The K-1 fiancé visa is different. They do not have the option to ask for a SSN to be assigned ahead of time, so they MUST go to the SS office in person to apply.

He can always go in person to the local SS office and make an inquiry to see if his number has been assigned yet.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2014, 11:28 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Off down to the SS Office you go. Remember his ID (Passport) and 2 forms of address.