Reload this Page >

SSN after arriving in US

SSN after arriving in US

Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

davejenk477 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN after arriving in US

Hi,

I've just arrived in the US a week ago on a CR1 visa, does anyone know if I have to call the SSN office or if the number issued automatically? I ticked the box on the form for an SSN to be issued when applying for the visa.

Thanks for you help!
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN after arriving in US

I actually remember going to the social security office. I got my card in the mail maybe a week or two later. However this was almost 16 years ago and things may have changed.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The Social Security Administration say to wait 3 weeks. If the number has not arrived by then, visit an office or contact them.
Social Security Numbers and Immigrant Visas

Based on forum reports, it appears that this process often doesn't work and it's usually recommended not to use it. It's normally quicker to apply for the number after arrival.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 6:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

AS JAJ said, but wait 10 working days after your arrival to go to an office. Even if the automatic number issue fails, and it often does, you still have to be in the SSA system for you to apply for a number. It takes about 10 days to get into the SSA system.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

smarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond repute

And what do you need to take with you when you go to the SSA office?
Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smarty156
And what do you need to take with you when you go to the SSA office?
Your Green Card if it's arrived or your passport with the endorsed CR-1 visa. If you have your GC I'd suggest take the passport too just in case. You can save time by filling out an SS-5 ahead of time and taking it with you.

The important thing is to wait the ten working days or so for you to appear on the SAVE system that the SSA uses to verify your immigration status. If you go before that happens, they'll have to run a manual check which takes much longer.

It used to be that you could go back the next day to get your actual SSN, but the word is that they've stopped doing this so you'll have to wait for the card to turn up in the mail. Although they'll tell you to allow several weeks, it usually arrives in a week or so.