SSN

Old Aug 9th 2011, 11:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN

Originally Posted by fromthemanorborn
I was/am eligible but couldn't be arsed to wait for the SSA/USCIS to get their shit together. When I went to the SSA office in person (after about 2 weeks) they couldn't tell me the number so I took that to mean none had been issued.
I don't think it's a big deal to them as long as they have proof of your identity, immigration status and proof of state residency. Those are the biggies. In the space on my license for SSN it says "NONE PROVIDED".
I just thought it might be a route for the OP to take to expedite the getting of a license should his number not come through in a reasonably timely manner.
BTW - I was not being impatient, it took 2 months for my number to come through.
Your license has a spot for SSN? I didn't think any states were allowed to do that these days...It's probably a good thing you didn't have one then
Old Aug 10th 2011, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to Texas from the UK in February this year. I was paid by my company just by using the company issued DEN number (Dept of Employment) number until my SSN was sorted. I went to SSN office before 10 days, they did the application but said that it would be put on hold until I had been here 10 days and then they would process it. It took 4 weeks to come through from the date they actually processed. In the meantime my husband did not apply for his SSN straightaway as he was not able to work until he applied for his EAD. The EAD took 3 months to come through. He then went to the SSN office to apply for his SSN and his took only a week to be issued (guess he was well and truly in the system with both an I94 and an EAD!). As far as the driving license is concerned, he was able to do his driving license just by showing them his letter of application for his SSN, they didn't need any more proof than that. They wouldn't let him do his driving license until he had that confirmation letter from the SSN office that he had applied as a minimum. I already had my SSN when I did my driving test so was not an issue. Car insurance was valid for 6 months on our UK/International licenses so plenty of time to get organised with both SSN and driving license.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
Your license has a spot for SSN? I didn't think any states were allowed to do that these days...It's probably a good thing you didn't have one then
They don't put the number on the license. If you have submitted the number it says "ON FILE".