SSN

Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of
Default SSN

I've read a few posts on SSN and just want to check I understand them.
I'm moving to the US on Sept 23rd (H1b valid from Oct 1st). From what I've read it sounds like I should wait 10 days before heading to the SSC with my completed SS-5 and id. If I go before 10 days they may not "have me in their system" ? If I'm not in the system and apply for a SSN it could take longer?
Does that all sound correct? If it is then it sounds like it takes at least 3 weeks to get an SSN?
Old Aug 9th 2011, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN

Originally Posted by RayM
If I go before 10 days they may not "have me in their system" ?
Sometimes, even if you go after 10 days you still won't be in the system... but that's only sometimes.

If I'm not in the system and apply for a SSN it could take longer?
Yes - probably 4-10 weeks while they manually verify your status.

Does that all sound correct?
Yes.

If it is then it sounds like it takes at least 3 weeks to get an SSN?
To get the card, yes... but not necessarily to get the #. If you're in the system, you can probably find out your SS# a few days after you submit your application - of course, you'll need to go back to the SSA office to find out and get it.

Ian
Old Aug 9th 2011, 1:47 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Sometimes, even if you go after 10 days you still won't be in the system... but that's only sometimes.
Happened to me. Think it took about 6-7 weeks in total from arriving to getting the SSN
Old Aug 9th 2011, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of

Thanks guys. I hope it's not 6/7 weeks. I want to get my driver's license.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
To get the card, yes... but not necessarily to get the #. If you're in the system, you can probably find out your SS# a few days after you submit your application - of course, you'll need to go back to the SSA office to find out and get it.
If he's in the system and goes to the SSA office to apply for an SSN, he can pick up an official letter confirming the SSN within 24h - that's what I did.

Basically the numbers get assigned by an overnight batch run so they will have been assigned the (weekday) morning after the application. The letter is/has to be accepted by the employer as proof of SSN, which is kinda handy as they can't pay him without one.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
The letter is/has to be accepted by the employer as proof of SSN, which is kinda handy as they can't pay him without one.
They can....the employer has got 90 days to get a SSN...it just means they'll take maximum taxes that they can till it's sorted.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

That's interesting, because I was told by the people at the SSA office that I couldn't get paid until I had my SSN. You'd hope they would know, but I've hoped wrong before .
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting, because I was told by the people at the SSA office that I couldn't get paid until I had my SSN. You'd hope they would know, but I've hoped wrong before .

Aye, though to be fair, most payroll folks are lazy and tell you the same so they don't have to do any work
Old Aug 9th 2011, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

While we're on the subject, if you tick the appropriate boxes on the DS230 to get a SSN, is it still 10 days? But with the exception that I don't have to do any more beyond the DS230 to request it? (different immigrant status to OP, I know)

Last edited by GeoffM; Aug 9th 2011 at 5:57 pm. Reason: Misquoted
Old Aug 9th 2011, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still ten days - it was 10 days when I got here last year on an IR-1.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RayM
Thanks guys. I hope it's not 6/7 weeks. I want to get my driver's license.
I got my license without an SSN. There is a downloadable form on the DMV site which is basically an affidavit saying you have never been issued a number. Just got that notarized by a lady at my bank. Of course, as per usual, this may vary state to state.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Still ten days - it was 10 days when I got here last year on an IR-1.
Ok, thanks.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by fromthemanorborn
I got my license without an SSN. There is a downloadable form on the DMV site which is basically an affidavit saying you have never been issued a number. Just got that notarized by a lady at my bank. Of course, as per usual, this may vary state to state.
Yes, it does vary by state.

Also, usually if you are eligible for a SSN, you have to get it, so that form wouldn't be much use for many states unless they were here on H4's etc.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes, it does vary by state.

Also, usually if you are eligible for a SSN, you have to get it, so that form wouldn't be much use for many states unless they were here on H4's etc.
I was/am eligible but couldn't be arsed to wait for the SSA/USCIS to get their shit together. When I went to the SSA office in person (after about 2 weeks) they couldn't tell me the number so I took that to mean none had been issued.
I don't think it's a big deal to them as long as they have proof of your identity, immigration status and proof of state residency. Those are the biggies. In the space on my license for SSN it says "NONE PROVIDED".
I just thought it might be a route for the OP to take to expedite the getting of a license should his number not come through in a reasonably timely manner.
BTW - I was not being impatient, it took 2 months for my number to come through.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Kats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really nice

I was told to wait 10 working days after arriving in the US to apply for SSN. I got my SSN in the mail a week and a half after applying for it (this was last month).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.