SSN

Old Aug 15th 2010, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

thistle4171 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN

A newbie on the forum

I have my L1-A visa interview in 2 weeks but will not be relocating with family until December, however between September and December, I will be travelling backwards and forwards between the UK and Texas on business.

Am I able to apply for my SSN number in September once my L1-A is in place or do I need to wait until we relocate in December?

Thanks
Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN

You should be able to visit the local Social Security Office after 2 weeks of arriving in the US and filling out the SS-5 http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html
It takes time from the time you arrive in the US and the necessary information of your arrival to be transferred to the Social Security Administration, if you go too early and apply our collective experience on this forum is that it just screws the system up.
You can use your employers address, provided you have someone you trust at work to hold your mail for you, the card will be mailed to you in approx 4 weeks.
Your family will have to wait till they are in the US long enough to apply for theirs.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thistle4171
A newbie on the forum

I have my L1-A visa interview in 2 weeks but will not be relocating with family until December, however between September and December, I will be travelling backwards and forwards between the UK and Texas on business.

Am I able to apply for my SSN number in September once my L1-A is in place or do I need to wait until we relocate in December?

Thanks
When you get your visa, it will be in your passport. Do you plan on entering in your L-1 status between Sept-Dec, or as a business visitor?

If you enter as an L-1 (check with your lawyer to make sure that is what you will be doing) you will have L-1 *status* in the US. You will be eligible to apply for your SSN at that time.

If you enter as a business visitor, you will not be eligible to apply for an SSN.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

SuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to all

Just so you are aware. I was told by the SSN office in Florida that i had to wait 10 days after arriving on my L1-A visa. I had flown to the US on my visa but then returned to the UK to collect the family and re-entered with them 20 days later.

Went back to the SSN office who told me again i had to be in the country 10 days....

Even though i had arrived on my visa 20 days ago. The 10 days starts from your last entry not the first entry.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:00 am
Just Joined

thistle4171 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks all
Old Aug 16th 2010, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Thistle Hope you are getting all the help you need, just give us a holler if you need anything else
Old Aug 17th 2010, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuperOwls
Went back to the SSN office who told me again i had to be in the country 10 days....

Even though i had arrived on my visa 20 days ago. The 10 days starts from your last entry not the first entry.
I'm in a similar boat. Do you have any links to official text on this?

Many thanks.

Cheers,

Harry
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Just so you are aware. I was told by the SSN office in Florida that i had to wait 10 days after arriving on my L1-A visa. I had flown to the US on my visa but then returned to the UK to collect the family and re-entered with them 20 days later.

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
I'm in a similar boat. Do you have any links to official text on this?

Many thanks.

Cheers,

Harry
Because that isn't true (about the 10 days), and this would make 3 people I'm reading about in as many days who are L-1s with trouble getting their SSNs, I wonder if there isn't some temp. glitch going on at SSA or with the CBP-->SAVE system.
hmm
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

SuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to all

Originally Posted by meauxna
Because that isn't true (about the 10 days), and this would make 3 people I'm reading about in as many days who are L-1s with trouble getting their SSNs, I wonder if there isn't some temp. glitch going on at SSA or with the CBP-->SAVE system.
hmm
Its not true? Well they must have been telling lies at the SS Office then.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:40 pm

Its not true? Well they must have been telling lies at the SS Office then.
Well, that happens sometimes.

I prefer to say 'misinformation'.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well, that happens sometimes.

I prefer to say 'misinformation'.
Well thank god its over and done with. Had to go there 3 times with a 1 hour wait each time and it was like an episode of Jerry Springer every time!