Reload this Page >

SSN for 16yr old daughter

SSN for 16yr old daughter

Old Jan 12th 2016, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Munter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN for 16yr old daughter

Hi,

I have recently relocated to Rochester in upstate NY and have now been here a whole 3 weeks!

My husband has a SSN and mine will arrive in 2 weeks (although, so far, the USPS has been just as reliable as the good old Royal Mail )

My 16yr old daughter, who has had to return to school , would like to be able to find a PT job either after school or during the holidays etc. Does she need to obtain a SSN for this?

Will I have to endure the high level security and the endless wait in the SS Office again???

Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2016, 3:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN for 16yr old daughter

What visa does the daughter have, or what is her status in the USA?

Rene
Old Jan 12th 2016, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi

She has an L-2 visa and is a dependant of an intracompany (?) transferee
Old Jan 12th 2016, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munter
Hi

She has an L-2 visa and is a dependant of an intracompany (?) transferee
Dependent children on L2 are not eligible for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). As an L2 spouse, you can work after your EAD application is approved.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 12th 2016 at 3:33 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 3:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Dependent children on L2 are not eligible for EAD.
This is correct. No EAD = no part-time job.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Dependent children on L2 are not eligible for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

So, Is she unable to get a PT job at all?
Old Jan 12th 2016, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

So, Is she unable to get a PT job at all?
No - not without an EAD. And an L2 dependent child is not eligible for an EAD. However, you are eligible to apply for an EAD as the L2 spouse (which means that you could work once your EAD is approved).
Old Jan 12th 2016, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

No - not without an EAD. And an L2 dependent child is not eligible for an EAD. However, you are eligible to apply for an EAD as the L2 spouse.
Yes, my EAD application is in but she wanted to do something throughout the holidays, she is going to be disappointed
Old Jan 12th 2016, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, my EAD application is in but she wanted to do something throughout the holidays, she is going to be disappointed
She can do volunteer work.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Will her circumstances change when she turns 18? I am unsure how she would supplement any allowance when she goes off to college.

I'm dreading telling her the bad news
Old Jan 12th 2016, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I have recently relocated to Rochester in upstate NY and have now been here a whole 3 weeks!

My husband has a SSN and mine will arrive in 2 weeks (although, so far, the USPS has been just as reliable as the good old Royal Mail )

My 16yr old daughter, who has had to return to school , would like to be able to find a PT job either after school or during the holidays etc. Does she need to obtain a SSN for this?

Will I have to endure the high level security and the endless wait in the SS Office again???

Thanks
You will need a TIN (tax identification number) of some sort for her when you do your taxes. Since she is ineligible for an SSN, you will need to apply for an ITIN. You apply for an ITIN by filing a W7 form with your US tax return.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Owen778
You will need a TIN (tax identification number) of some sort for her when you do your taxes. Since she is ineligible for an SSN, you will need to apply for an ITIN. You apply for an ITIN by filing a W7 form with your US tax return.
Thanks we are in the process of applying for the ITIN but will she still be unable to do any unpaid work once this comes through?
Old Jan 12th 2016, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Will her circumstances change when she turns 18? I am unsure how she would supplement any allowance when she goes off to college.

I'm dreading telling her the bad news
No, sorry, as long as she remains in L-2 dependent visa status.

Others may know if she can work if she changes status to a student visa.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks we are in the process of applying for the ITIN but will she still be unable to do any unpaid work once this comes through?
ITINs are basically for people who cannot work in the US, but need to file or be included on a US tax return.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 4:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

She can do volunteer work.
Yes, so long as she is not doing work that is usually paid for. If she's working along side people doing the same job who are being paid, then that would be a no-no.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.