British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   SSN for 16yr old daughter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ssn-16yr-old-daughter-870536/)

Munter Jan 12th 2016 2:45 pm

SSN for 16yr old daughter

Hi,

I have recently relocated to Rochester in upstate NY and have now been here a whole 3 weeks!

My husband has a SSN and mine will arrive in 2 weeks (although, so far, the USPS has been just as reliable as the good old Royal Mail :unsure:)

My 16yr old daughter, who has had to return to school :p, would like to be able to find a PT job either after school or during the holidays etc. Does she need to obtain a SSN for this?

Will I have to endure the high level security and the endless wait in the SS Office again???:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Thanks

Noorah101 Jan 12th 2016 3:10 pm

Re: SSN for 16yr old daughter

What visa does the daughter have, or what is her status in the USA?

Rene

Munter Jan 12th 2016 3:20 pm

Hi

She has an L-2 visa and is a dependant of an intracompany (?) transferee

MarylandNed Jan 12th 2016 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Munter (Post 11835171)
Hi

She has an L-2 visa and is a dependant of an intracompany (?) transferee

Dependent children on L2 are not eligible for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). As an L2 spouse, you can work after your EAD application is approved.

Pulaski Jan 12th 2016 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11835181)
Dependent children on L2 are not eligible for EAD.

This is correct. No EAD = no part-time job.

Munter Jan 12th 2016 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11835181)
Dependent children on L2 are not eligible for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

So, Is she unable to get a PT job at all?

MarylandNed Jan 12th 2016 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Munter (Post 11835183)
So, Is she unable to get a PT job at all?

No - not without an EAD. And an L2 dependent child is not eligible for an EAD. However, you are eligible to apply for an EAD as the L2 spouse (which means that you could work once your EAD is approved).

Munter Jan 12th 2016 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11835187)
No - not without an EAD. And an L2 dependent child is not eligible for an EAD. However, you are eligible to apply for an EAD as the L2 spouse.

Yes, my EAD application is in but she wanted to do something throughout the holidays, she is going to be disappointed :(

MarylandNed Jan 12th 2016 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Munter (Post 11835192)
Yes, my EAD application is in but she wanted to do something throughout the holidays, she is going to be disappointed :(

She can do volunteer work.

Munter Jan 12th 2016 3:50 pm

Will her circumstances change when she turns 18? I am unsure how she would supplement any allowance when she goes off to college.

I'm dreading telling her the bad news :(

Owen778 Jan 12th 2016 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Munter (Post 11835145)
Hi,

I have recently relocated to Rochester in upstate NY and have now been here a whole 3 weeks!

My husband has a SSN and mine will arrive in 2 weeks (although, so far, the USPS has been just as reliable as the good old Royal Mail :unsure:)

My 16yr old daughter, who has had to return to school :p, would like to be able to find a PT job either after school or during the holidays etc. Does she need to obtain a SSN for this?

Will I have to endure the high level security and the endless wait in the SS Office again???:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Thanks

You will need a TIN (tax identification number) of some sort for her when you do your taxes. Since she is ineligible for an SSN, you will need to apply for an ITIN. You apply for an ITIN by filing a W7 form with your US tax return.

Munter Jan 12th 2016 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 11835205)
You will need a TIN (tax identification number) of some sort for her when you do your taxes. Since she is ineligible for an SSN, you will need to apply for an ITIN. You apply for an ITIN by filing a W7 form with your US tax return.

Thanks :) we are in the process of applying for the ITIN but will she still be unable to do any unpaid work once this comes through?

Owen778 Jan 12th 2016 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Munter (Post 11835197)
Will her circumstances change when she turns 18? I am unsure how she would supplement any allowance when she goes off to college.

I'm dreading telling her the bad news :(

No, sorry, as long as she remains in L-2 dependent visa status.

Others may know if she can work if she changes status to a student visa.

Owen778 Jan 12th 2016 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Munter (Post 11835209)
Thanks :) we are in the process of applying for the ITIN but will she still be unable to do any unpaid work once this comes through?

ITINs are basically for people who cannot work in the US, but need to file or be included on a US tax return.

Pulaski Jan 12th 2016 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11835194)
She can do volunteer work.

Yes, so long as she is not doing work that is usually paid for. If she's working along side people doing the same job who are being paid, then that would be a no-no.