SSN on 1040

Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:00 am
Just Joined

PK abroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN on 1040

Hi Folks,

Been gathering info from this site for a while but a bit stubbed with one question so I thought I would ask.

We filled an I-130 on 17th February in London. My wife (USC) is filling her taxes for the past three years. She is filling as "Married Filling Seperately" and has put "Non-Resident Alien" in the spouse's name box.

However, I worked in the States on a J1 visa many years ago and have a SSN number.

Should I add my SSN number to the Spouse's SSN row or does that confuse things since I am a Non-Resident Alien?

We can't get through to the London helpline to ask and we just want to get the forms sent off.

Cheers in advance guys,

PK
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN on 1040

Originally Posted by PK abroad
She is filling as "Married Filling Seperately" and has put "Non-Resident Alien" in the spouse's name box.
Your name should probably go in the name box... the IRS isn't asking about your status.

Should I add my SSN number to the Spouse's SSN row or does that confuse things since I am a Non-Resident Alien?
Yes, put in your SSN. It won't confuse them because your name will be in the name box and not your status. Additionally, they'll see that she's filing married/separately.

Ian