SS troubles

Old Jun 25th 2001, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

bc_39 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me here, I'm about ready to pull my hair out.

My fiance and I married June 8th. Last Friday we drove to the Sheridan, WY SS office to apply. The lady was very friendly, commented on how I had all my paperwork in order, I left feeling good, after less than 10 minutes in the office. Got home to a message that I was to call a gentleman from the SS office. I called him back, he told me that I can't get my SS # until I have "a new stamp" from the INS in my passpeort.

He flat out told me that I am not elegible to get my SS#. I tried explaining to him that yes, as a K-1 holder I am allowed to work in the US. He said NO WAY!! I even had the memo with me when I went to the office. Nothing worked.

Can anyone give me so advice on this. I think that I will go to Casper, WY Friday to a different office and try. But I'm wondering if something has changed recently that I'm not aware of. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Cindy
Old Jun 25th 2001, 8:55 pm

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

go to another office karryl

Old Jun 25th 2001, 9:13 pm
Betastar

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I have two thoughts. The first is what you've already said - try another office.

The other thought is that if you've filed for AOS then you are no longer on a K-1. He
may be a "stickler" about that sort of thing.

You are eligible for a SS#. Go to Casper.

Betastar

Old Jun 26th 2001, 4:25 am
Diane M

I vote for going to another office. One comment, though.... I've read in this group
that your social security card will not say that you are eligible to work in the U.S.
I haven't been through this yet, my fiancé is still waiting for his K-1 interview,
but I recently read that as a K-1 holder you can get a social security card that
states that you are authorized to work only with authorization from the INS. The
social security card has nothing to do with permission to work (although you will
need to give your number to your employer).

Diane M.

bc_39 wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 26th 2001, 3:03 pm
Sweatpea

bc_39 <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi Cindy,

Just a thought... Are you planning to apply for an EAD Card? ***Not that you NEED
a EAD Card to get a Social Security number... but it seems that the SS Office is
quicker to issue a SS# if you have an EAD Card.*** Most of us ran into the problem
applying for a SS# if we did not first have the EAD Card (or EAD Stamp) and that
was when we showed the famous Memo which *proves* that a K-1 holder is eligible
for a SS#.

The info you were given is correct... to legally work in the US, you need BOTH the
EAD (issued by the INS) AND a Social Security #.

I would either try another Social Security Office (or the same one on a different day
- you may get a different person) OR I would apply for your EAD (sometimes you can do
that in person at the INS and get it on the same day) and then take that along to SS
to apply for a number.

Hope this helps... Good luck and Congratulations on your marriage!

-Sweetpea

Old Jun 26th 2001, 6:30 pm
Nalu

You are married already. Have you filed for AOS? I suspect you won't be elegible for
a SS card until you are granted AOS and then get the I-551 stamp on your passport.
there is a memorandum for the Social Security that talks about K1 visa holders being
elegible for SS card. You may want to read into this.

http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

good luck

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

Old Jun 26th 2001, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice.

Well, I got an email from Mike Young of Social Security. He called the Sheridan Office and informed them that I am, as a K-1 holder able to get my SS#. So, Friday I'm going back to the office to try again! I'll post my experience this next time. Thanks again Mike.

I haven't filed my AOS yet. But, my advice to the new people entering the US on the K-1, get your temp EAD before you get married if you can, I think it would speed things up. I didn't get mine because I had surgery and still have to wait a few weeks to look for work. But, if I was to do it again, I'd get my temp EAD just because.
Old Jun 27th 2001, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Well, I got it!! I was told I'd receive my card within the next two weeks in the mail. Went back to the Sheridan office today armed once again with all my documents etc. The lady was very appologetic and bent over backwards for me. Said she was very sorry for the troubles I had the first time and explained how this office doesn't get K-1 people often. I'm hoping the next person that goes to this office with a K-1 can get their number the first time now!!

I owe tons of thanks to Mike Young for calling the Sheridan office and setting things straight. Thanks again Mike. It's good to know that there is at least one Social Security person out there that knows what's going on! :-)