Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SS card experience- Baltimore

SS card experience- Baltimore

Old Jun 1st 2001, 6:28 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

My fiance and I went today to apply for his Social Security card here in Baltimore. He arrived Wednesday :-), yesterday, we went down to the Baltimore INS office to apply for his 90 day EAD. They only actually make them up one day a month, and after she took his application we were told to come back on June 20th. As murphy's law would have it, we'll be on our honeymoon then, so were were told he'd get a letter in the mail telling him when the next 90 day EAD appointment day would be- probably in July!
So, today we went down to the Social Security office on Calvert Street armed with the memo stating that all K-1ers are able to get work allowed Social Security cards just by the nature of them being on the K-1 even if they don't yet have the 90 day EAD. (Do a google search for previous posts about this, or check out the FAQ I beleive)
At first the woman said, "Oh no- unless you have the EAD we can't issue him a work authorized SS card." Then I chimed in, "I believe you are mistaken,I have here an internal Social Security Department memo stating otherwise" (I had printed out a copy of the memo in its entirety anticipating this about 2 months ago). She then went off to enquire about it to two of her superiors and then came back, said we were right, typed in his info, and told him to look for the card in the mail in about 2 weeks. (It will be the work authorized with back-up from the INS one)
My fiance will be posting his experience on the SS experience website. He was gonna post on here- but I beat him to it. I'm at work now- perhaps when I get home I can cut and paste that memo on another post in this thread if anyone is interested.
Anyway- TGIF- I'm looking forward to spending the weekend with my new permanent roomate... :-)
Beth (the one in Baltimore)
Old Jun 1st 2001, 9:26 pm
Alvena Ferreira

ms_bhon wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
I think you can also find that memo posted on this site, click the K-1/K-2 AOS link
after entry: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm alvena I am
not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, this is a pointer to resources and is to
be used for the purpose of discussion.

Old Jun 2nd 2001, 1:38 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future
Default And for the *extremely* lazy....

Hey-
If ya' wanna read that memo- here 'tis- & thanks Alvena!

Identification Number EM-00154
Effective Date: 11/01/2000
Originating Office: SSA, ODISP, OPB
Title: Evidence of Employment Authorization for K-1 Aliens

__________________________________________________ ________

Document:
This Emergency Message replaces EM-00009 which expired in September 2000
and POMS instructions, RM 00203.500C.2., for K-1 aliens. A K-1 alien is
the fiancŽ of a U.S. citizen.

A nonimmigrant alien in K-1 alien status is authorized to work based on
that status and is no longer required to show an employment
authorization document (EAD) as proof of employment authorization when
applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) card.

When an alien in K-1 status applies for an original or replacement SSN
card, accept as proof of employment authorization either an unexpired:

á I-94 showing the alien is admitted as a K-1 for a 90-day period; or

á EAD (Form I-688B showing "274A.12(A)(6)" on the face of the card
under Provision of Law or Form I-766 showing "A-6" on the face of the
card under Category).

Some I-94s issued to K-1s are stamped or annotated "EMPLOYMENT
AUTHORIZED,"and some are not. Either way, the I-94 is proof a K-1 alien
is authorized to work.

POMS instructions will be revised in 2001.

RETENTION DATE: October 2001