British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   SS Benefits & Medicare Part B contributions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ss-benefits-medicare-part-b-contributions-914670/)

iceflow Jul 6th 2018 6:27 pm

SS Benefits & Medicare Part B contributions

Folks,
Has anyone applied for Retirement benefits from the US Social and not had Medicare Part B contributions withheld from the monthly check? I have emailed them but no response yet. I may still be employed when I apply for benefits and if so my employer has a group health plan that acts as the primary cover. I don't want to pay Part B if I'm not going to use it until I officially retire.

Thanks

Nutmegger Jul 6th 2018 6:33 pm

Re: SS Benefits & Medicare Part B contributions

From the AARP guide to Medicare:

If you are already receiving Social Security retirement benefits when you turn 65, you need not apply for Medicare. Your Medicare card will be mailed to you, and coverage begins the first day of your birthday month. You can decline Part B if you choose — for example, if you are covered by health insurance provided by your own or your spouse's current employment — by following the instructions on the letter Social Security sends you.

If you aren't receiving SS, you have to apply for Medicare yourself, it won't come automatically, but I recall you can still decline, as above, if you have other coverage.

MidAtlantic Jul 6th 2018 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by iceflow (Post 12528445)
Folks,
Has anyone applied for Retirement benefits from the US Social and not had Medicare Part B contributions withheld from the monthly check? I have emailed them but no response yet. I may still be employed when I apply for benefits and if so my employer has a group health plan that acts as the primary cover. I don't want to pay Part B if I'm not going to use it until I officially retire.

Thanks

If your employer has 20 or more employees, and your employer health plan coverage is a "group health care plan" as defined by the IRS, you can delay signing up for Medicare until the employment/health coverage ends without penalty.

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...#collapse-3156

iceflow Jul 6th 2018 6:45 pm

Thanks,
Yes I enrolled in Part A when I hit 65 but was able to exclude myself from Part B as my employer has a group health plan. The question I have though is once someone applies for SS retirement benefits, is the Part B deduction from the benefits a 'fait accompli' or does the Social give the punter the option to do an opt out if they are still part of a employer group health plan. Hopefully I'll get a response from them via email if not I'll try the phone. Just wondered if anyone had been in same position.

Nutmegger Jul 6th 2018 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by iceflow (Post 12528455)
Thanks,
Yes I enrolled in Part A when I hit 65 but was able to exclude myself from Part B as my employer has a group health plan. The question I have though is once someone applies for SS retirement benefits, is the Part B deduction from the benefits a 'fait accompli' or does the Social give the punter the option to do an opt out if they are still part of a employer group health plan. Hopefully I'll get a response from them via email if not I'll try the phone. Just wondered if anyone had been in same position.

Isn't that just what the AARP info I quoted above says?

fulwood Jul 7th 2018 1:16 am

If you don't apply for medicare part b when you become eligible you will pay a penalty.

Nutmegger Jul 7th 2018 2:51 am

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 12528631)
If you don't apply for medicare part b when you become eligible you will pay a penalty.

i believe that it is D, the drug coverage, that would incur the penalty. There is provision for those still insured from another source to decline part B initially.

iceflow Jul 7th 2018 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12528473)
Isn't that just what the AARP info I quoted above says?

My question is not a general question about applying for Medicare benefits at 65. I'm aware that it is possible to exclude oneself from Part B provided your employer has a Group Heath plan that matches or exceeds the benefits under Part B.
The scenario is this:
Individual does not receive SS benefits, is still working, is over 65 and elected not to take to Part B at 65 as employer has Group Health care and Part B requires monthly payments. Did take Part A at 65 as this has no monthly payment requirement.
Individual is now considering taking SS benefits whilst still working and still covered by employers Group Health Plan.
SS blurb makes reference to deducting Part B contributions before sending monthly checks to recipients.
If individual is still working and covered he/she does not want to have the Part B contributions deducted from checks as Group Health Plan will cover this.

Question: Does the individual have the option during SS benefit application to elect an opt-out on Part B contributions or is it a given that if you apply for SS Benefits the social security office will automatically initiate a Part B deduction? I'm assuming even if they did the individual could request it be reversed but it would be a lot easier to have that option during the initial application.
Your last sentence sounds as if you do get an opt-out from Part B deductions when applying for SS benefits even if you are over 65.?
Thanks

Nutmegger Jul 7th 2018 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by iceflow (Post 12528979)
My question is not a general question about applying for Medicare benefits at 65. I'm aware that it is possible to exclude oneself from Part B provided your employer has a Group Heath plan that matches or exceeds the benefits under Part B.
The scenario is this:
Individual does not receive SS benefits, is still working, is over 65 and elected not to take to Part B at 65 as employer has Group Health care and Part B requires monthly payments. Did take Part A at 65 as this has no monthly payment requirement.
Individual is now considering taking SS benefits whilst still working and still covered by employers Group Health Plan.
SS blurb makes reference to deducting Part B contributions before sending monthly checks to recipients.
If individual is still working and covered he/she does not want to have the Part B contributions deducted from checks as Group Health Plan will cover this.

Question: Does the individual have the option during SS benefit application to elect an opt-out on Part B contributions or is it a given that if you apply for SS Benefits the social security office will automatically initiate a Part B deduction? I'm assuming even if they did the individual could request it be reversed but it would be a lot easier to have that option during the initial application.
Your last sentence sounds as if you do get an opt-out from Part B deductions when applying for SS benefits even if you are over 65.?
Thanks

In the SSA's "what you need to know" brochure, in the Medicare section, it states, "Anyone eligible for Part A can get Part B. Part B is optional and you usually pay a monthly premium." The application asks about other HI coverage.

MidAtlantic Jul 9th 2018 11:38 am

Originally Posted by iceflow (Post 12528979)
Thanks

If no premium is due, because you continue to be covered by an employer plan, there will be nothing to deduct from SS.