British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Spring forward (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/spring-forward-519861/)

SagenOnion Mar 7th 2008 2:20 pm

Spring forward

UK is 1 hour closer for the next 3 weeks as our clocks go forward this Sunday at 2.00am and theirs go forward on March 30.

TruBrit Mar 7th 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Spring forward

Originally Posted by SagenOnion (Post 6030917)
UK is 1 hour closer for the next 3 weeks as our clocks go forward this Sunday at 2.00am and theirs go forward on March 30.

yep i read that last week, seems very early this yr.

geeandtee Mar 7th 2008 2:48 pm

Not for us in AZ, the UK will be an hour further away because we don't move the clocks ahead at all.

tonrob Mar 7th 2008 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6030923)
yep i read that last week, seems very early this yr.

Think they made this change last year, wherby daylight saving time starts 3 weeks earier than before and ends 1 week later.

TruBrit Mar 7th 2008 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by geeandtee (Post 6031018)
Not for us in AZ, the UK will be an hour further away because we don't move the clocks ahead at all.

i didn't know that, thought all mainland usa changed, interesting.

geeandtee Mar 7th 2008 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6031400)

I think it's because it gets so hot here in the summer that if they changed the clocks then it would still be 100F at 9 at night. I think the Navajo rez moves its clocks, but that's about it.

TruBrit Mar 7th 2008 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by geeandtee (Post 6031479)
I think it's because it gets so hot here in the summer that if they changed the clocks then it would still be 100F at 9 at night. I think the Navajo rez moves its clocks, but that's about it.

yep we've had it 100 here in the evenings during the summer due the high humidity, so unhealthy.

tonrob Mar 7th 2008 5:38 pm

Isn't there some town somewhere that decided just to "opt out" all on its own? Or did I just dream that?? :blink:

geeandtee Mar 7th 2008 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6031560)
yep we've had it 100 here in the evenings during the summer due the high humidity, so unhealthy.

:eek: That's horrible! I have a friend who lives in Beaumont and she just hates the summers there.

TruBrit Mar 7th 2008 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 6031564)
Isn't there some town somewhere that decided just to "opt out" all on its own? Or did I just dream that?? :blink:

you could be right, i've not heard of it.

Originally Posted by geeandtee (Post 6031619)
:eek: That's horrible! I have a friend who lives in Beaumont and she just hates the summers there.

yes the summers are horrible here, high humidity most days and mozzies the size of bloody jumbo jets :eek:

hobbes79 Mar 7th 2008 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 6031564)

I believe Indiana ignored it until relatively recently. I have a friend who used to live in Richmond, IN but would commute to Dayton, OH on a daily basis (about a 45min drive) for work.

She used to have to change the time on her watch twice a day!

geeandtee Mar 7th 2008 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6031628)

yes the summers are horrible here, high humidity most days and mozzies the size of bloody jumbo jets :eek:

The mozzies would do my head in, at least they're small here, apart from the whole West Nile Virus thing.

Folinskyinla Mar 7th 2008 9:24 pm

AZ traditionally has not had DST -- the effect is not all that different on the Southern border. I have to be careful in scheduling my hearings in Arizona -- I make sure they are in the afternoon during the winter. The court is usually quite accomodating.

In the 1973, the country went back to year round DST to save energy. There was a lot of political backlash because of student in the Northern states waiting for school buses in the dark. How shocking. So it reverted back.

The new law is again an attempt to save energy. So DST starts three weeks earlier. The one week delay on the end is to avoid Halloween trick or treaters from going out in the new darkness.

Folinskyinla Mar 7th 2008 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 6031633)
I believe Indiana ignored it until relatively recently. I have a friend who used to live in Richmond, IN but would commute to Dayton, OH on a daily basis (about a 45min drive) for work.

She used to have to change the time on her watch twice a day!

Actually, IN has two time zones. The eastern half would not go on DST, so during the summer months the entire state is on CDS or EST, depending on how you looked at it.

Thydney Mar 7th 2008 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 6032280)
Actually, IN has two time zones. The eastern half would not go on DST, so during the summer months the entire state is on CDS or EST, depending on how you looked at it.

Another thing that is early this year is Easter apparently it won't be this early again in our lifetime