Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Spouse Perm Resident... I want to become a Citizen

Spouse Perm Resident... I want to become a Citizen

Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Teach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really nice
Question Spouse Perm Resident... I want to become a Citizen

We are both perm residents but due to retirement at home (UK)... only I can become a Citizen... my wife needs to wait 5 years to avoid losing out on pension..... Can I apply for citizenship without my spouse? What compilcations could arise?
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:35 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse Perm Resident... I want to become a Citizen

Can you clarify a few things? In a recent post you said that you were both dual citizens, was that a mistake? If you have moved back to the UK that will prevent you applying for citizenship--you have to be in the US to make the application.. What do you mean about the pension preventing your wife applying for citizenship?
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Teach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really nice

I am writing this on behalf of a friend of mine... sorry for any confusion. By taking citizenship I have been reliably informed that my pension due at 65 will be comprimised as we are not living in the UK.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teach3r
I am writing this on behalf of a friend of mine... sorry for any confusion. By taking citizenship I have been reliably informed that my pension due at 65 will be comprimised as we are not living in the UK.
I see! Or maybe I don't! Perhaps you should stop saying "my" when you are not talking about yourself, so that others who look at your history in order to try to help don't get as mixed up as me! Now I'm really confused -- is this a UK pension, a US pension?
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We are both perm residents but due to retirement at home (UK)... only I can become a Citizen... my wife needs to wait 5 years to avoid losing out on pension..... Can I apply for citizenship without my spouse? What compilcations could arise?
If you meet the requirements you can apply for citizenship separately. Your wife is a British citizen...what makes you think she will lose out on her pension if she becomes a dual UK/US citizen?

Edit: Your pension will not be compromised.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 18th 2011 at 9:50 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

To answer one question you asked.

You can apply for citizenship as an individual. Even if married, one of the spouses can apply for citizenship even if the other does not want to do so.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Will start from new....

Our friend has posed a question to us....

" He wants to become a US Citizen (already green card holder) whereas his wife wants to wait 5 years until she reaches 64 and can get her pension. They believe that if she takes citizenship here it will affect her getting her full pension from the UK as they currently live in the USA."

So question 1) Can one apply without spouse for citizenship?
2) Will it affect the pension if they both apply now?
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Thanks!

1: Yes; it is an individual application.
2: It will have no effect on the pension.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Will start from new....

Our friend has posed a question to us....

" He wants to become a US Citizen (already green card holder) whereas his wife wants to wait 5 years until she reaches 64 and can get her pension. They believe that if she takes citizenship here it will affect her getting her full pension from the UK as they currently live in the USA."

Yes.

No.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

That is not so. Who reliably informed them of that?
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The only complications that might arise are questions of tax and money transfers.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 6:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
The only complications that might arise are questions of tax and money transfers.
And what complications would affect a US citizen as opposed to a permanent resident?

The only complication I understand is that certain government pensions are only taxable in the UK (not in the USA) unless one is also a US citizen. But there is no question of the pension not being paid based on citizenship status.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
And what complications would affect a US citizen as opposed to a permanent resident?

The only complication I understand is that certain government pensions are only taxable in the UK (not in the USA) unless one is also a US citizen. But there is no question of the pension not being paid based on citizenship status.
You're reading a lot more into what I wrote. I made no mention of citizenship. All I said was there may be a tax implication in receiving a UK pension.