Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Spouse In His 1st New York Marathon 6th November!

Spouse In His 1st New York Marathon 6th November!

Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:42 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Spouse In His 1st New York Marathon 6th November!

It's a big day for my husband Pete tomorrow (Sunday 6th November).

He will participate with approx 37,000 other runners in the ING New York City Marathon...a gruelling 26.2 miles.. The temperature won't be ideal either - far too hot for runners...it may reach 75f, just as it did today.

He has been preparing for ages; I feel like what my mum would call a 'grass widow' as every night and weekend he goes out running, and has also completed four New York Road Runners Club half marathons in the boroughs Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island and the Bronx.

Personally I couldn't do it as I dislike running. I'm amazed at his tenacity though - but for him it will hopefully be just a 'one-off' so I get to see him again! Just a couple of years ago he was terribly overweight (obese in fact) and I was really worried about his health....yet once he'd decided to do something about it he joined a gym, went running when he didn't go to the gym and lost 100 pounds in weight in six months.

He's hoping to try and pace himself in the marathon to finish in about four hours; it starts for men at 10.10am ET.

All of the runners wear an electronic chip on their shoes; this year they can be tracked real-time as they go past certain markers and it can be instantly accessed on PCs and Blackberries. If anyone would like his name and # please send me a PM...

PS: Going to bed early tonight...have to drive him to Secaucus, NJ as they have to board the buses at 6.00am for Staten Island where the race begins, so I'll come home again and head off for Central Park late morning.

Please wish him the Best of British luck!

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/home/index.php

PPS> We would have stayed in an hotel in NYC tonight but the prices are ridiculously expensive this weekend ($500 per night - even at lower quality hotels and most want a two-night minimum) :scared: Just like airlines have peak prices at Christmas, Summer hols the NYC hotels get away with charging the 'rack rates' as demand is so high this weekend.

Last edited by Englishmum; Nov 5th 2005 at 10:49 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

geary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to all
Default Re: Spouse In His 1st New York Marathon 6th November!

Originally Posted by Englishmum

He will participate with approx 37,000 other runners in the ING New York City Marathon...a gruelling 26.2 miles.. The temperature won't be ideal either - far too hot for runners...it may reach 75f, just as it did today.

He has been preparing for ages; I feel like what my mum would call a 'grass widow' as every night and weekend he goes out running, and has also completed four New York Road Runners Club half marathons in the boroughs Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island and the Bronx.

Personally I couldn't do it as I dislike running. I'm amazed at his tenacity though - but for him it will hopefully be just a 'one-off' so I get to see him again! Just a couple of years ago he was terribly overweight (obese in fact) and I was really worried about his health....yet once he'd decided to do something about it he joined a gym, went running when he didn't go to the gym and lost 100 pounds in weight in six months.

He's hoping to try and pace himself in the marathon to finish in about four hours; it starts for men at 10.10am ET.

All of the runners wear an electronic chip on their shoes; this year they can be tracked real-time as they go past certain markers and it can be instantly accessed on PCs and Blackberries. If anyone would like his name and # please send me a PM...

PS: Going to bed early tonight...have to drive him to Secaucus, NJ as they have to board the buses at 6.00am for Staten Island where the race begins, so I'll come home again and head off for Central Park late morning.

Please wish him the Best of British luck!
good luck mate!! and good for him going for it,i don't weigh much,but i know i defiantly couldn't do it!! i'd fall at the first hurdle! and go for a beer!
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:57 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to Pete - I have huge admiration for people who run marathons, and half marathons, as my Mrs has done. I don't think I could ever do either - I have enough trouble after dragging my aching bones around the astroturf in the Hoboken adult soccer league for an hour each weekend.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 11:10 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geary11
i'd fall at the first hurdle!
Blimey, the NYC marathon must be tougher than the others - bad enough having to run 26 miles in one go without having to jump over stuff on the way. Is this a recent addition to make it more exciting? What will we see next - the athletes having to run along greasy poles spanning pits full of burning coals?
Old Nov 5th 2005, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Englishmum how PROUD are you Good for him and best of luck, just amazeing.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 11:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to the guy....sounds brutal out there...
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:23 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spouse In His 1st New York Marathon 6th November!

Just arrived home from dropping Pete off at the Giants Stadium Arena.....thick fog and visibility down to a few yards and the entrance to the NJ Turnpike to get home was closed off by a huge truck parked there and no 'diversion' signs....driving round in circles until I could find an alternative route.

If it's on TV where you live, if you see a guy in a red shirt marked "PETE" and the # 7719 on his bib then that's my man LOL!

If anyone wants to track him as he runs in real time then go here:

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/training/dtip17.php

and PM me for the surname - not comfortable putting it on an open forum.

Right I'm off to bed for an hour or two.....
Old Nov 6th 2005, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I'm a bit late, but good luck Pete.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 1:12 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

ooh good for him! how did he do?
Old Nov 7th 2005, 2:23 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
ooh good for him! how did he do?

Yes please - how did he do?

And how is he feeling this morning?
Old Nov 7th 2005, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

oh wow, looking forward to the update. Good for him losing his weight and getting fit like that, is he more confident now he's fit?
Old Nov 7th 2005, 6:24 pm

Pete did amazingly well!

I took the train into NYC and I overheard a woman sitting across the aisle with an English accent speaking very loudly into her cellphone....she was obviously going to watch the marathon too, so I informed her that I'd got my large "England" flag with me. We got chatting and it turned out that she too was going to watch her (Irish) husband Patrick in his first ever marathon, so we decided to go along to Central Park together. Lorraine currently lives in South Carolina but was staying in friends in NJ for the marathon. She is a marathon runner too but didn't win a place in the NYC 'lottery' (there are different ways to qualify).

We went to what she thought would be a less crowded spot for spectators (approx 84th St) but it was such a warm day (mid-70s F) that many people were watching the runners too - but eventually we got a roadside spot. It was fantastic - the atmosphere was so joyous and positive.

At this point it was about the 24th mile and the runners were desperately tired....more than a few of them slowed down to a walking pace at this point. We cheered and encouraged as many runners as possible, especially if they had a disability or those whom had written their names on their shirts....if they hadn't done this but wore their country's flag then we would shout "Come on you Swede!", "Go for it you Aussies!"...it was like a United Nations....I can remember we were cheering on people from Trinidad, South Africa, New Zealand, Berlin, Mexico, Finland, Holland, Ireland to name just a few. Of course we really shouted loud for the Brits...some had Union flags, others with English, Scottish or Welsh flags....some of them really appreciated it and rewarded us with a warm smile or a thumbs up. We recognised a lot of runners wearing shirts representing various British charities, especially those for cancer, the RNLI and some people were running in memory of lost loved ones.

Some highspots were seeing runners wearing silly costumes...lots of fairy's, a bunny girl, two guys dressed as the Blues Brothers (they must have been boiling hot!) a British guy dressed as a drag queen complete with Brunette Lily Savage-style wig LOL! The most bizarre sight of all were two huge (larger than life-size) glass-fibre rhinoceros heads trotting along the route where all you could see were the lower legs of the guys inside them...with a Union Jack flag flying from the horn of the first one!!!

Well......sad to say out of the many thousands of runners (approx 35,000 actually ran on the day) - I didn't spot Pete and Lorraine didn't spot Patrick...I was getting real-time text messages from the NY Road Runners Club to give his progress at split-times but one didn't come through...I waited for some time then got a text to say that he had completed the race...grrr.

Anyway.....Pete did fantastically well (If I was American I guess I would say "awesome" LOL!). His official recorded time to complete the 26.2 miles was 3.42:53 (net time...ie. the time to cross the start line as he was behind so many other runners in the line-up - was 3.41:40). Poor Pete was totally exhausted after the race and had thrown up....it took me ages to get to the meeting point and he just looked very pale and wan and has a few blisters on his feet. He's having a rest today and working from home and is in high spirits. I don't think he's planning to do another marathon - but it's early days LOL! All of the results are on the NYRR Club website:

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org (Pete's No. is 7719)

In today's "New York Times" there is the list of those who completed the marathon...it runs to ten columns of names....Pete's name is 1 1/2 columns in....as Bruce Forsyth would say "Didn't he do well!".

I'm very, very proud of him.
Attached Thumbnails Spouse In His 1st New York Marathon 6th November!-marathon.jpg  

Last edited by Englishmum; Nov 7th 2005 at 6:29 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Amazeing !!! Well done Pete
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Pete did amazingly well!....
Anyway.....Pete did fantastically well (If I was American I guess I would say "awesome" LOL!).

amazingly well
fantastically well
"awesome"

... well that's a start! May I add:

brilliant
outstanding
incredible
superlative
WOW!

etc!
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Well done to him.

Wish I could do that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.