Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Spotted Pig

The Spotted Pig

Old Mar 4th 2004, 5:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile The Spotted Pig

There is a big trend in the Uk - especially London - for pubs to be putting on imaginative cuisine instead of the usual shepherd's pie and ploughman's lunches. There is even a term for it; 'gastropubs'.

I've just discovered that there is now a gastropub in NYC called "The Spotted Pig" with a chef from Birmingham (UK)....who worked in the famed "River Cafe" in London. (I think it is/was owned by Sir Terence Conran?).

Anyone who lives in/near NYC or visiting might want to check it out:

http://www.thefoodsection.com/foodse...the_gastr.html

I hope my husband might take me there for dinner on Saturday night...
Old Mar 4th 2004, 6:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Spotted Pig

Originally posted by Englishmum
There is a big trend in the Uk - especially London - for pubs to be putting on imaginative cuisine instead of the usual shepherd's pie and ploughman's lunches. There is even a term for it; 'gastropubs'.

I've just discovered that there is now a gastropub in NYC called "The Spotted Pig" with a chef from Birmingham (UK)....who worked in the famed "River Cafe" in London. (I think it is/was owned by Sir Terence Conran?).

<<snip>>
Gastropubs have been around in the UK since the 90s. I remember when pubs started offering Thai food and that might have kicked started the popularity of gastropubs.

Also, I believe that Jamie Oliver got his first big break working in the kitchens of the River Cafe...