Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Spooks you Slur?

Spooks you Slur?

Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:25 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spooks you Slur?

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I wonder if this can be considered progress that we don't hear these terms much? Human nature being what it is, probably not, new ones get invented instead......... .
We dont hear these terms because we choose not to hang out with people who would use them.

I saw this one

Adolf - Germans - Hitler, of course. Generally thought of the worst person ever.

A Fox News-ism, generally thought of the the worst person ever, well its subjective for one and two there have been so many genocides and manipulations of peoples throughout history, what makes him more a more worse person that Pol Pott, Idi Amin, Alexander the great, Rwanda's Hutu Power dictatorship who massacered 800,000 Tutsi's, Kublai Kan and the romans.

Even Bush uses the same techniques a Hitler to get his people to do what he wants so who is to say Hitler is worse than Bush, it all comes down to how it will be writen in history books.

You have to say, without Hitler there would be no "The Producers", so he wasn't all bad.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:28 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
We dont hear these terms because we choose not to hang out with people who would use them.

I saw this one

Adolf - Germans - Hitler, of course. Generally thought of the worst person ever.

A Fox News-ism, generally thought of the the worst person ever, well its subjective for one and two there have been so many genocides and manipulations of peoples throughout history, what makes him more a more worse person that Pol Pott, Idi Amin, Alexander the great, Rwanda's Hutu Power dictatorship who massacered 800,000 Tutsi's, Kublai Kan and the romans.

Even Bush uses the same techniques a Hitler to get his people to do what he wants so who is to say Hitler is worse than Bush, it all comes down to how it will be writen in history books.

You have to say, without Hitler there would be no "The Producers", so he wasn't all bad.

You left out Stalin-he was responsible for even more deaths than Hilter.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:28 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Next it will Attack of the killer Golliwogs
is tht why they where taken off my marmalde jars then?
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:31 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

I wonder if a term I grew up with was meant to be a slur? We called baby frogs, pollywogs, not tadpoles. I never even thought of that before?!
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:35 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally Posted by cindyabs
You left out Stalin-he was responsible for even more deaths than Hilter.
and Mussolini, Henry VIII, Vlad the Impaler, the Turks, the Russians, The Croates, the messopatamians, the British and many others who thought it was there God Given right to exterminate other races or peoples. I could go on for ever, its very subjective whether these Hitler was a more worse person than any of them?
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Bingo !

Just caught this thread or I would have written where I thought the term came from. I'm in my 50's and that term was used when I was growing up. So it isn't all that old.

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
Got this definition

Because of their dark skin, which can blend into the night, making them ghost-like.

from this link

http://www.johncglass.com/racialslurs.htm

Page is titled 'Racial Slur Database' - gotta love it

Ha ha! My google-fu - too good for you!
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:48 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Patrick
and Mussolini, Henry VIII, Vlad the Impaler, the Turks, the Russians, The Croates, the messopatamians, the British and many others who thought it was there God Given right to exterminate other races or peoples. I could go on for ever, its very subjective whether these Hitler was a more worse person than any of them?

Hmm, I think in the list of Kings and Queens of England,Henry VIII would have been bush league compared to Richard the LionHearted and Edward I.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
The jam man cometh?
Old Jan 15th 2005, 3:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
... but the term "bogey man" isn't a racial slur, is it?
I didn't think it was either...

But this is what it says: Referring to "Boogie Woogie" form of jazz? Could come from W. African "Buuker" or "Buckra", meaning "Devil", "Boogie man" or "White Man". Turned around and used against Blacks by Whites.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 11:27 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Bingo !

Just caught this thread or I would have written where I thought the term came from. I'm in my 50's and that term was used when I was growing up. So it isn't all that old.
This link has some more info:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=s&p=36

Quote:
The derogatory racial sense of "black person" is attested from 1940s, perhaps from notion of dark skin being difficult to see at night. Black pilots trained at Tuskegee Institute during World War II called themselves the Spookwaffe. Spooky is from 1854.