Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Spooks you Slur?

Spooks you Slur?

Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spooks you Slur?

Maybe I'm showing my dunce here, or age, but Spooks, to me, means spy or ghost, never heard it as a racial slur before. I only bring it up because I was chatting with a mate on his fag break while waiting to pick the missus up, and I asked him if he'd seen "Spooks", totally forgot the show's called MI5 over here, and the person behind him gave me a tut and said I shouldn't use slurs like that...

Just wondering if anything like that's happened to anyone else
Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:21 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spooks you Slur?

Got me.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Maybe I'm showing my dunce here, or age, but Spooks, to me, means spy or ghost, never heard it as a racial slur before. I only bring it up because I was chatting with a mate on his fag break while waiting to pick the missus up, and I asked him if he'd seen "Spooks", totally forgot the show's called MI5 over here, and the person behind him gave me a tut and said I shouldn't use slurs like that...

Just wondering if anything like that's happened to anyone else
I hope you didn't tell him he was on his fag break as well! No, I'm with you Bob, spooks is not a curse or a slur as far as I know
Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:22 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

3 entries found for spook.

spook ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spk)
n.
  1. Informal. A ghost; a specter.
  2. Slang. A secret agent; a spy.
  3. Offensive Slang. Used as a disparaging term for a Black person.
News to me, I'm afraid...
Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

It is a slur...however, it hasn't been used for a very long time. The guy was just being a twit (thanks Ironporer, love the new word) and shouldn't have said that. You should have turned around and called him a moron.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I hope you didn't tell him he was on his fag break as well! No, I'm with you Bob, spooks is not a curse or a slur as far as I know
hehe...yeah, well fag break, they probably could have handled *lol*
but I was told it's a slur against black people, never heard of it before though, but at least I ain't the only one then
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
  1. Informal. A ghost; a specter.
  2. Slang. A secret agent; a spy.
  3. Offensive Slang. Used as a disparaging term for a Black person.
First two are obvious ain't they, but the third, that's news to me....hmmm...
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
It is a slur...however, it hasn't been used for a very long time. The guy was just being a twit (thanks Ironporer, love the new word) and shouldn't have said that. You should have turned around and called him a moron.
So you've heard of it huh...well I probably should of, but he was muttering that to me in passing, nosey git
And to be honest, I was a bit to stuned to say anything, never even occurred to me that it was rude, but it makes sense as to why the prog got a name change I guess
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

I'm so excited Bob!

Spooks is one of out favourite programs, when is MI5 on out here and what channel...am presuming BBC America - but have never seen it advertised?

Lottie
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Lottie
Spooks is one of out favourite programs, when is MI5 on out here and what channel...am presuming BBC America - but have never seen it advertised?
I don't know if it's started yet, or about to start, but I think it's either Bravo or A&E...someone mentioned that there was a marathon of it last weekend, so maybe the third series will start this weekend... The first two are on dvd already and the third series which has finished in blighty must be coming out on dvd soon...which I'd like to get, deepfat fried anyone?
Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:19 am
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by Bob
I don't know if it's started yet, or about to start, but I think it's either Bravo or A&E...someone mentioned that there was a marathon of it last weekend, so maybe the third series will start this weekend... The first two are on dvd already and the third series which has finished in blighty must be coming out on dvd soon...which I'd like to get, deepfat fried anyone?
the first of the new series was on A&E last Saturday, straight after the marathon ...

Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX
the first of the new series was on A&E last Saturday, straight after the marathon ...
that's a bugger then, missed it...though it's got to be repeated sometime here...any idea what time it's on?
Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:37 am
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by Bob
that's a bugger then, missed it...though it's got to be repeated sometime here...any idea what time it's on?
9pm cst - so, I guess that's 8 your time ..

Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Recently Anthony Hopkins and Nicole Kidman were in a film together I cant remember the name. However he was a college lecturer and whilst referring to one of his class member used the term spooks. He was unaware of the racial implication and was subsequently fired. You know the film the one where it ends up that Anthony Hopkins is infact black. Quite good film. Will try and think of the name.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:50 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Recently Anthony Hopkins and Nicole Kidman were in a film together I cant remember the name. However he was a college lecturer and whilst referring to one of his class member used the term spooks. He was unaware of the racial implication and was subsequently fired. You know the film the one where it ends up that Anthony Hopkins is infact black. Quite good film. Will try and think of the name.
That sounds like "The Human Stain".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.