Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The sponsorship of UK parents to the USA

The sponsorship of UK parents to the USA

Old Aug 15th 2004, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Bob and Jenny Good is an unknown quantity at this point
Question The sponsorship of UK parents to the USA

We have two sons both green card holders living permanently in the USA. One is about to file for citizenship and may then apply to sponsor us as parents into the USA. We are both of early retirement age and would not wish to work in America.

Has anyone any comments or personal experience of this situation? We wiould be grateful for any input on this subject.

Thank you

Last edited by Bob and Jenny Good; Aug 15th 2004 at 2:43 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 4:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The sponsorship of UK parents to the USA

Originally Posted by Bob and Jenny Good
We have two sons both green card holders living permanently in the USA. One is about to file for citizenship and may then apply to sponsor us as parents into the USA. We are both of early retirement age and would not wish to work in America.
Has anyone any comments or personal experience of this situation? We wiould be grateful for any input on this subject.Thank you
Start saving for your medical Insurance !!
Old Aug 15th 2004, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray6
Start saving for your medical Insurance !!
OMG yes!! When I retire, we're moving back over there, unless things change here. I see what my grandparents go through just trying to buy their medication.....sad reality over here.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 7:15 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Has anyone any comments or personal experience of this situation? We wiould be grateful for any input on this subject.

Thank you
You wont qualify for medicare as you are non US citizens and have not lived here long enough to have paid into the system and qualified for medicare. Heres the website:

http://www.medicare.gov/

Without this you will find it next to impossible to find any private insurers willing to take you on and you would have to pay all your own medical bills. Thats a lot of money, a prolonged stay in hospital can cost you 10's, or even 100,s, of thousands of dollars.

Seriously unless your sons are very rich then forget it its just not feasible. I have resigned myself to my mother never being able to come over here unless I become a millionaire(come on that powerball).

Sorry i am sure its not what you want to hear but research the healthcare issue very carefully or you could find yourself very bankrupt very quickly over here.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

This has been raised before with the same conclusion. Probably best to work on the basis of long holidays, at least you can get trave insurance that way.

That also avoids the hassle of sponsering and Immigration do not seem to give 'Seniors' such a hard time with frequent visits.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:49 pm
Franklin

Thank you
It's like Duncs et al said ... healthcare is a very BIG issue; I know because I successfully sponsored a parent. Also keep in mind that the child that sponsors you will have to sign an affidavit of support and supply two years of tax returns (at least that is what I had to do, I doubt it has got any easier). One positive thing: immediate relatives of US citizens get priority treatment. Good luck.

One other good thing, I understand that it is possible to buy into Medicare once a senior GC holder gets US citizenship, currently costs around $360 pcm, but it takes a sponsored parent at least five years to become a US citizen (three if they end up marrying a US citizen, not likely but who knows) and this "buyin" might be plugged or become cost prohibitive, and the coverage is likely limited and may offer very little relief with regard to prescription drug costs; anyway, do your own due diligence, I might be wrong about this.

Also, it is my understanding that a senior is not required to do the US citizenship test. Again, good luck.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Aug 16th 2004 at 2:15 pm.

Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:19 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
One other good thing, I understand that it is possible to buy into Medicare once a senior GC holder gets US citizenship, currently costs around $360 pcm, but it takes a sponsored parent at least five years to become a US citizen (three if they end up marrying a US citizen, not likely but who knows) and this "buyin" might be plugged or become cost prohibitive, and the coverage is likely limited and may offer very little relief with regard to prescription drug costs; anyway, do your own due diligence, I might be wrong about this.
Taken from http://medicare.custhelp.com

You will be eligible to apply for Medicare if you have paid into Social Security for at least 10 years or you are eligible to receive Social Security benefits on your spouse’s earnings. If you do not meet these requirements, you can still get Medicare hospital insurance (Part A) by paying a monthly premium if you are a citizen or a lawfully admitted alien who has lived in the U.S. for at least five years.

Also, anyone who is age 65 and a citizen or a lawfully admitted alien with five years of residency in the United States can sign up for Medicare Part B. Medical Insurance and pay a monthly premium.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

And just to make things that much more positive, sorry to be so negative Bob and Jenny, Medicare doesn't always cover the whole enchilada. My grandparents have supplemental insurance (AARP) and have always had to keep that up, even now in their late 80's. They get a discount on their prescriptions, but not always enough.

Only two more posts to go..
Old Aug 16th 2004, 1:03 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Taken from http://medicare.custhelp.com

You will be eligible to apply for Medicare if you have paid into Social Security for at least 10 years or you are eligible to receive Social Security benefits on your spouse’s earnings. If you do not meet these requirements, you can still get Medicare hospital insurance (Part A) by paying a monthly premium if you are a citizen or a lawfully admitted alien who has lived in the U.S. for at least five years.

Also, anyone who is age 65 and a citizen or a lawfully admitted alien with five years of residency in the United States can sign up for Medicare Part B. Medical Insurance and pay a monthly premium.
Kool. Thanks for the clarification.

Old Aug 16th 2004, 1:15 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Kool. Thanks for the clarification.
You're welcome! Doing research on it at the moment. Also, forgot to add that your figures are looking about right regarding costs according to my guesstimation.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
They will not be able to sponser them until they are sworn as citzens, then thay can apply etc. I am in a similar situation myself.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 5:19 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mad Max7
They will not be able to sponser them until they are sworn as citzens, then thay can apply etc. I am in a similar situation myself.
Yes!!! They said that ...
Old Aug 16th 2004, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry!!!
Old Aug 16th 2004, 5:23 am
Ray

Originally Posted by Mad Max7
Sorry!!!
Go thrash yourself 7 times