Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Spending on pre-school education

Spending on pre-school education

Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:18 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spending on pre-school education

According to this report in The Guardian, the US spends more on educating the under-5s than the UK:

"With the exception of the US, funding per child at pre-school level is higher than any other country. The UK spends $7,153 (£3,817) a head, just under $3,000 more than the OECD average."

http://education.guardian.co.uk/earl...=ticker-103704

The article focuses mainly on the UK, and there is no further explanation of the above comment. I'm a bit puzzled, because I didn't think that there is a lot of (nearly) free education on offer for the under-5s here. Can anyone enlighten me?
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Spending on pre-school education

Most states have the Head Start program, which takes them at age 4.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I spent about $400 a month, last year for my daughter to attend a preschool. This was just preschool - I had to spend another $350 for daycare so I could go to work to afford the preschool and daycare. But, in the end she started kindergarden this year (free!!! ) and she was very ready.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
According to this report in The Guardian, the US spends more on educating the under-5s than the UK:

"With the exception of the US, funding per child at pre-school level is higher than any other country. The UK spends $7,153 (£3,817) a head, just under $3,000 more than the OECD average."

The article focuses mainly on the UK, and there is no further explanation of the above comment. I'm a bit puzzled, because I didn't think that there is a lot of (nearly) free education on offer for the under-5s here. Can anyone enlighten me?
There is free care for welfare recepients and those on medicaid as part of the welfare to work program. Welfare is down 60% from 10 years ago but the child care credit is up due to the number of former recipients who are now working. I can't recall the specifics, but parents get the care if they work or go to school a certain number of hours per week and get off the welfare. It was a Clinton plan--to keep some benefits the parents have a limited time on welfare and then get help with childcare so that they can work.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

It's called First Step here starting at four, and I only found out about it through a Brit friend School Teacher But we do have to supply liquid hand soap and a box of Tissues each term
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
There is free care for welfare recepients and those on medicaid as part of the welfare to work program. Welfare is down 60% from 10 years ago but the child care credit is up due to the number of former recipients who are now working. I can't recall the specifics, but parents get the care if they work or go to school a certain number of hours per week and get off the welfare. It was a Clinton plan--to keep some benefits the parents have a limited time on welfare and then get help with childcare so that they can work.

Yes, I knew about that - and I thought Head Start was only for the poor. But the article suggests that the US spends more per child, which to me suggests ALL children. It's that which I found puzzling, because the people that I know in my town who have under-5s all pay through the nose to have them attend nursery.
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

This is the latest that I can find: http://nieer.org/mediacenter/index.php?PressID=52

""Yet, when we combine the spending and enrollment data to calculate state spending per pupil, we find inflation-adjusted state spending per child declined by 7.3 percent to $3,551 because enrollment outpaced funding," said Barnett. In 27 of 38 states with prekindergarten programs, the state per child expenditure fell in inflation-adjusted dollars."
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I knew about that - and I thought Head Start was only for the poor. But the article suggests that the US spends more per child, which to me suggests ALL children. It's that which I found puzzling, because the people that I know in my town who have under-5s all pay through the nose to have them attend nursery.
There are other programs, too, in which the state pays the bill. Not sure if that is part of the numbers in the report you found or not.

Many daycares take subsidised or medicaid children so it's possible to have someone pay $200 a week and someone pay nothing at the same place.

Here's some info by state:
http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPa...ntentId=113536

Last edited by jen_andreson; Sep 12th 2006 at 2:51 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't send my child to a Head Start program even if it was the only option available.

I think Abbott districts get the lion's share of government funding.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 11:33 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
I wouldn't send my child to a Head Start program even if it was the only option available.

I think Abbott districts get the lion's share of government funding.

We have had a lot of parents calling my office over the last few weeks because Head Start requires that all children have 'at least' a yearly dental check -up and this has to be proven to the school before they are allowed to attend.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 11:35 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Elvira]Yes, I knew about that - and I thought Head Start was only for the poor.

I work in a very affluent area too so I don't know how it works to be honest.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:19 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

The 4 year olds round here have started kindergarten this week. It isn't all day but it isn't just half a day either. I think it works out to be around 2/3 of the day. I think you would call this an affluent neighbourhood and the kindergarten is part of the local schools. The mums here seemed to really like it