Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Spending a day alone in NYC?

Spending a day alone in NYC?

Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spending a day alone in NYC?

So I'm going to New York for a long weekend in May to see my OH. Problem is I arrive on Thursday the 14th but OH won't get there until the earlier hours of Friday morning. So just looking for a few ideas of things to do on my own other than shop I'll be staying at The Warwick Hotel on West 54th Street.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Shaunandelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spending a day alone in NYC?

Put off sleep for as long as possible. What do you want to do ? Eat,drink,veg,walk. What time do you get in ,Lunchtime I suppose. You been before?

Last edited by Shaunandelly; Apr 24th 2009 at 9:33 am.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shaunandelly
Put off sleep for as long as possible. What do you want to do ? Eat,drink,veg,walk. What time do you get in ,Lunchtime I suppose.
Yeah I get in at about 2pm so I guess finding somewhere to eat would be a good start and trying to stay awake like you say. I also think where ever I go I'll be walking to get there, plus I don't want to wonder too far from the hotel.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Well,by the time you get settled in.... I suppose finding somewhere nice to eat and absorb the atmosphere. Just as important to get yourself in sync for the next day. Don't want to spend all your time knackered. Why walk,stick your hand out and get a cab,extend your options. Look for somewhere with a view and spoil yourself.

Last edited by Shaunandelly; Apr 24th 2009 at 9:57 am.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shaunandelly
Well,by the time you get settled in.... I suppose finding somewhere nice to eat and absorb the atmosphere. Just as important to get yourself in sync for the next day. Don't want to spend all your time knackered.
No OH wouldn't appreciate that, I won't have seen him for 7 weeks by that point
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
So I'm going to New York for a long weekend in May to see my OH. Problem is I arrive on Thursday the 14th but OH won't get there until the earlier hours of Friday morning. So just looking for a few ideas of things to do on my own other than shop I'll be staying at The Warwick Hotel on West 54th Street.

Nice hotel. You are only a few blocks north of Radio Music Hall and Rockfeller Center. Take a walk down to 51st street and head east and visit the center and across the street is St. Patrick's. Stroll through Saks which is right next door to St. Pat's. If we prefer you can go north to Central Park and visit Museum Mile. Only about 9 blocks up. Grab a street map at the airport or at the hotel.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Go on google street level and go for a virtual recce.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
Nice hotel. You are only a few blocks north of Radio Music Hall and Rockfeller Center. Take a walk down to 51st street and head east and visit the center and across the street is St. Patrick's. Stroll through Saks which is right next door to St. Pat's. If we prefer you can go north to Central Park and visit Museum Mile. Only about 9 blocks up. Grab a street map at the airport or at the hotel.
Thank Rete I guess if I can't find something to do in New York I'm a pretty sad case
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:04 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Thank Rete I guess if I can't find something to do in New York I'm a pretty sad case
If the weather's nice I'd head for Central Park and stroll around (only five blocks north of your hotel). I love Central Park.

If the weather's crap the Museum of Modern Art is only one block south of your hotel.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:12 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Central Park is just up the way. You could also walk over to Times Square.

My advice? Pick the one thing you know they don't want to do--say see a certain museum or goto Soho or whatever and do that before they arrive.

You'll also probably be a bit tired. You can settle in to the hotel a bit, take a shower, clean up, etc. To help fight the tiredness drink a lot of water on the plane (as much as 10oz per hour if possible). Can really make a difference. Also recommend noise cancelling headphones if you can afford them. Once you use those you'll never fly without them again.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Catch the E train and ride from end to end! (Only joking...)

There is so much stuff to do there. Maybe try touring around Manhattan for a bit doing what ever. You'll see what I mean when you get there.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in the building right next door to the Warwick for several years. Lots of nice restaurants in the area and some touristy ones, i.e. Hard Rock Cafe just up the street. If you head towards Central Park, you will see there are several diners and deli type restaurants where you can get that great NYC Pastrimi on Rye with mustard and/or a lovely Brisket on Rye. If you get the brisket, order a side of brown gravy and dunk your sandwich in it from time to time ... YUMMY !!!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's everyone for the great suggestion

Rete, I should have mentioned that I'm vegetarian (OH is trying to be vegan these days he's even odder than me). So if anyone can recommend a good veggie restaurant let me know.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 4:11 pm
Concierge

That's everyone for the great suggestion

Rete, I should have mentioned that I'm vegetarian (OH is trying to be vegan these days he's even odder than me). So if anyone can recommend a good veggie restaurant let me know.

I went to Zagat and only found 38 Vegetarian and 15 Vegan rest in all of Manhattan and none of them close to the Warwick. I would suggest you look through any of the menus that are posted on the windows of the restaurants and make a choice in that manner.

I know you can get Italian food with marina sauce and/or garlic and oil without meat or poultry so that is one choice. Also any of the deli/diner type places will have items on the menu that don't contain meat or poultry or fish for the diet conscious among us.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:20 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I went to Zagat and only found 38 Vegetarian and 15 Vegan rest in all of Manhattan and none of them close to the Warwick. I would suggest you look through any of the menus that are posted on the windows of the restaurants and make a choice in that manner.

I know you can get Italian food with marina sauce and/or garlic and oil without meat or poultry so that is one choice. Also any of the deli/diner type places will have items on the menu that don't contain meat or poultry or fish for the diet conscious among us.
There's a place called Aron's Restaurant on 49th btwn 6th and 5th and another called Zenith on 48th btwn 8th and 9th. Both have good reviews on urbanspoon, but I haven't been to either of them. If you're looking for vegan food for later in the weekend, though, I heartily recommend Zen Palate in Union Square. The food in there is stunning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.