Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

spending 3 months in California, but where?

spending 3 months in California, but where?

Old Sep 1st 2014, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spending 3 months in California, but where?

Originally Posted by modernanxiety
Thank you all for your input – it’s very much appreciated as I have no clear idea myself. I guess the song that really inspired me was California by Phantom Planet, yeah I know it’s dumb, I’ve never even seen the TV show! Um, anyway I had a look at the places that were recommended and Berkeley looks amazing, very liberal and a nice small City. On the other hand Monterey has the better weather during winter and a good arts scene. Santa Barbara is a big place by the looks of things, with an interesting history. Mendocino is perhaps a bit too small, I don’t know anyone in the US so don’t want to cut myself off too much and need to find things to amuse myself particularly on the theme of learning, the arts, and personal development. I am happy to go with one of the suggestions on this forum but need to think and research more (and any more input would be AMAZING). I don’t know whether I’ll be staying in one place or moving around. What is the situation with renting a room in a houseshare for just a month?

I don’t think I’d have the gumption to rent an RV as I’m quite new to driving and like to be on terra firma

Just out of interest, no-one has mentioned L.A, is it really that bad? Just a sprawling crime-ridden metropolis or does it have its charms?

Thanks again everyone!
LA was mentioned by Tupac

It really depends what you want out of your trip. It's a cool place in parts.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

parox has a reputation beyond reputeparox has a reputation beyond reputeparox has a reputation beyond reputeparox has a reputation beyond reputeparox has a reputation beyond reputeparox has a reputation beyond reputeparox has a reputation beyond reputeparox has a reputation beyond reputeparox has a reputation beyond reputeparox has a reputation beyond reputeparox has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it was and I love that song, been listening to it since forever!!

I have said all that I want, it's just a break from the norm of Europe, but safety is a concern. I plan to bum around, say hello to people, exist, nothing heavy. x
Old Sep 1st 2014, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it was and I love that song, been listening to it since forever!!

I have said all that I want, it's just a break from the norm of Europe, but safety is a concern. I plan to bum around, say hello to people, exist, nothing heavy. x
There are parts you don't go to.

I think you will need to get a plan more firmed up or they may not let you in, suspecting you want to work.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 4:54 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Have you traveled much before? Have you considered staying on the tourist trail. It is good for people on their own who wish to meet up with like minded people, if you think you may get lonely and want people from back home. Great way to get up to date information on the go.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your input – it’s very much appreciated as I have no clear idea myself. I guess the song that really inspired me was California by Phantom Planet, yeah I know it’s dumb, I’ve never even seen the TV show! Um, anyway I had a look at the places that were recommended and Berkeley looks amazing, very liberal and a nice small City. On the other hand Monterey has the better weather during winter and a good arts scene. Santa Barbara is a big place by the looks of things, with an interesting history. Mendocino is perhaps a bit too small, I don’t know anyone in the US so don’t want to cut myself off too much and need to find things to amuse myself particularly on the theme of learning, the arts, and personal development. I am happy to go with one of the suggestions on this forum but need to think and research more (and any more input would be AMAZING). I don’t know whether I’ll be staying in one place or moving around. What is the situation with renting a room in a houseshare for just a month?

I don’t think I’d have the gumption to rent an RV as I’m quite new to driving and like to be on terra firma

Just out of interest, no-one has mentioned L.A, is it really that bad? Just a sprawling crime-ridden metropolis or does it have its charms?

Thanks again everyone!
There are too many parts of LA you don't want to be in... I don't think you really can compare any part of California to the songs written about it. As far as renting a room, that's another thing you need to be cautious about.

How about doing more research and perhaps finding a college course that you could be on? How about not spending three months but doing a couple weeks, maybe a fly drive type holiday and you could possibly bring a friend with you.

I hate to see a young girl with no real knowledge of the areas out on her own.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
don't think you really can compare any part of California to the songs written about it.
To live and die in LA
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
To live and die in LA

Hate the song (makes me want to drive hot red pokers through the old eyeballs...but hey ho)
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Another rather annoying one.

The video's quite good though, in fact you could just watch that it and save yourself about £10,000.

Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Old Sep 1st 2014, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Old Sep 1st 2014, 9:39 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 1st 2014, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Dead Kennedys California Über Alles
Good one.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Old Sep 1st 2014, 10:00 pm
He/him

"California Sun" - The Ramones

"Leaving California" - P. J. Harvey and John Parish
Old Sep 1st 2014, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.