Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Spelling of words across the pond, National Anthem, Adjusting

Spelling of words across the pond, National Anthem, Adjusting

Old May 12th 2006, 2:45 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spelling of words across the pond, National Anthem, Adjusting

Originally Posted by Elvira
I am sorry but I just CANNOT say it! My mouth and tongue cannot do it! Been here 5 years and I doubt I'll ever get to grips with "wadder".

Anyone else or is it just me?
I can't say it either although it is still early days. Sometimes I think it would be easier but I would feel so stupid if they still didn't understand!
Old May 12th 2006, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I can't say it either although it is still early days. Sometimes I think it would be easier but I would feel so stupid if they still didn't understand!
Why on earth would you feel stupid, after all your the one that can speak proper English
Old May 12th 2006, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

yorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to behold

I can't say water with the 'd' sound either, I tried sounding it out just now and my hubby is laughing at me LOL
These days I occasionally forget I sound different to the people I talk to often, and one person pointed out the way I said a certain company name the other day, I said it again and then she said it, and I couldn't hear the difference, I feel like Fez on 'That 70's Show' ... "I'm no hearing the difference" LOL
Another word that causes problems is coffee. My kids love it when we go through the drive through. One day I was trying to order coffee with my food and the conversation went something like this:
"Can I have a burger, regular fries and a coffee please"
"Burger and regular fries, yes, ma'am would you like a drink with that?"
"yes coffee please"
...... long pause.....
"Was that a coke?"
"no coffee"
"Sorry ma'am could you repeat that?"
"COFFEE"
"what type of soda is that?"
"It's coffee"
"sorry ma'am we don't sell that would you like anything else?"
"I just want a coffeeeee" by this time my kids are rolling in the back of the van with tears streaming down their faces!
"oh, sorry yes ma'am please pull up to the next window"
I pull up to next window, get my order and check it, no drink but a chocolate sundae! lol
Now my daughter orders the drink for me and calls out "cawwfeee".
I walk around muttering 'caawwfee' to myself, and 'coffee', and can't for the life of my understand why it is so hard to understand! I thought only New Yorkers said it like that!
Old May 12th 2006, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Chrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant future

There are a few words that always get me - which are said differently over there, i say them "The British way" and get laughed at! lol

The dont have mobile phones - they have cell phones - and besides, its not "Mobile" - its "Moble" - apparrently the "I" is silent??

"Here at the scooter store, we'll make you moble"

I had to do some lighting connections on my partners caravan (ooops i mean trailer ) and wanted to get a soldering iron from the local hardware store - the guy looked dumbstruck - "You want a soldering iron" - he has a bemused look on his face - "yes, the thing that you make electrical connections with - it gets very hot and you use flux with it" - "Ohhhhhhhhhh, you want a sodder iron" - I do?? It turnes out that the "L" in the middle of the word is silent too! lol

Really friendly people though - and i can't wait to join them
Old May 12th 2006, 1:19 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrisw1968

The dont have mobile phones - they have cell phones - and besides, its not "Mobile" - its "Moble" - apparrently the "I" is silent??
How do you pronounce 'solder'? (curious)

in American English, that "i" in mobile isn't truly silent but is short, and the second syllable tends to collapse. "Missile" is similar; but nearly every other -ile word has a long "i" -- crocodile, tile, bile. Try reminding people of that. Ask them if they remember what "cell" is short for.
Old May 12th 2006, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by snowbunny
How do you pronounce 'solder'? (curious)

in American English, that "i" in mobile isn't truly silent but is short, and the second syllable tends to collapse. "Missile" is similar; but nearly every other -ile word has a long "i" -- crocodile, tile, bile. Try reminding people of that. Ask them if they remember what "cell" is short for.
LOL - thanks

We pronounce Solder - exactly as its spelled sol-der - good point about the Long I words tho - ill remind a few people of that! lol
Old May 12th 2006, 1:32 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrisw1968
We pronounce Solder - exactly as its spelled sol-der - good point about the Long I words tho - ill remind a few people of that! lol
with a short or long "o" -- I'm guessing short like parasol rather than long like soldier.
Old May 12th 2006, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
with a short or long "o" -- I'm guessing short like parasol rather than long like soldier.
You hit it on the head there - exactly as in parasol
Old May 12th 2006, 5:54 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Re...cawfeee. Everytime I order a mocha for my daughter we have the same thing. I say mokka, they say mowcar. They ask me to repeat myself, still they don't understand, sometimes they are rude , sometimes they just tell me they don't sell them (in Starbucks?!!!!) What's my daughter doing at this point.....laughing like a drain. BUT if I make her order her own, she pronounces it the same way as I do and they understand her. It must be my cut glass accent
Old May 14th 2006, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smaug
Hey,

Background: I'm British, and I moved from the UK to the US last year to marry and live with my (US Citizen) wife.

I'd like to hear from others about how they handle differences in spelling/pronunciation of words, and grammar of sentences.

With informal conversion and Internet chat when talking to Americans, I use English spellings, (but American date format) and so on. I use 'American-English' spellings when I'm writing formal communication such as documentation, or emails to those that do not know I am British.

Recently I used the word 'colour' in informal chat and received this reply:

'and color is spelled color...not colour'

.. and this conversation drew me into somewhat of a battle between 'When in Rome do as the Romans do' and my English Heritage, which I'm proud of.

I'd like to hear how other non-American English-speaking/spelling choose which Dictionary to spell from, and how they 'defend' their decision to use whichever spelling in a work environment?

And if I'm told to change my spelling, should I put on a fake 'American' accent too?

-----

On another note, I'm also uncomfortable at the beginning of sports events(and events like these) where the crowd is expected to stand and sing the US National Anthem. For those that aren't US Citizens - do you stand? Sing?
Currently I choose to stand out of respect, but I don't sing (I don't actually know the words, just the tune).

-----

I guess I am still in the 'adjusting' phase that many other British Expats are in. Most people here that know me can understand what I say, but they like to make a joke when they have to 'translate' my English to American-English to others (At restaurants, on conference calls, in business meetings) and it is becoming frustrating, and making me want to talk less.

Smaug
I was like you when I first got here. Been here about 14 years now. I use the US spellings on words, not because it comes naturally, but because it avoids confusion at work. In the UK we complain all the time about 'them foreigners not wanting to speak proper English' and I guess the Americans could say the same, so I try and blend in out of respect for the local culture. It's funny though, after all this time it still is an effort to write 'color' and not 'colour' etc. I still have to think about it (just for a second, but it still is not natural to me). I work in a school and every morning we say the pledge. I do stand and say the pledge. I do stand and sing the national anthem too. A few years ago I decided to get my US citizenship. I thought it was no big deal and actually really didn't put much effort into the whole process. On the day of the ceremony I was actually moved! I shocked myself. I was actually proud of being a US citizen! The head of the then INS in Baltimore said, 'You can get German citizenship, but you'll never really be German, or French citizenship, but you'll never really be French, but in the US when you get citizenship you really are American!' (or something like that, I thought that was a really good thing to say and true too). So, bottom line, give it time, it will all come together. One day you will go out in public and say something and no one will ask where you are from or comment on your accent. Then you can start worrying about not sounding British anymore, so when you go home to the UK people will start asking you where you are from...the cycle never ends for expats! Good luck!
Old May 14th 2006, 3:44 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Re...cawfeee. Everytime I order a mocha for my daughter we have the same thing. I say mokka, they say mowcar. They ask me to repeat myself, still they don't understand, sometimes they are rude , sometimes they just tell me they don't sell them (in Starbucks?!!!!) What's my daughter doing at this point.....laughing like a drain. BUT if I make her order her own, she pronounces it the same way as I do and they understand her. It must be my cut glass accent
That's funny! Yesterday I was in Subway, and the guy asked what cheese I wanted. "American, Provalone or Swiss?"
"American" I said
"what? I can't hear you" he said
"American" I said a bit louder
"what?" he said
"American" I said even louder
"Mocha? " he said!!!
LOL
Old May 14th 2006, 3:58 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
...I was actually proud of being a US citizen! The head of the then INS in Baltimore said, 'You can get German citizenship, but you'll never really be German, or French citizenship, but you'll never really be French, but in the US when you get citizenship you really are American!' (or something like that, I thought that was a really good thing to say and true too).
I think what this guy said was (a) presumptious - how does he know? and (b) total bollocks.

Personally I have never understood this concept of being proud to be American, British, Chinese or whatever...
Old May 14th 2006, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think what this guy said was (a) presumptious - how does he know? and (b) total bollocks.

Personally I have never understood this concept of being proud to be American, British, Chinese or whatever...

Way to go Elvira!!! I couldn't agree more. How can you be proud of an accident of birth? You can be grateful, but not proud! Personally I'm grateful to be British. I cannot say "wahder" and have difficulty making my fingers type color and recognize or skeptic- the most I've managed so far is to type: colour/color etc - LOL!

In the great scheme of things, does any of this truly matter? I think not.

As Noel Coward once said in that wonderfully lethargic posh British accent

"Everything matters.....but nothing matters terribly."
Old May 14th 2006, 5:23 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Way to go Elvira!!! I couldn't agree more. How can you be proud of an accident of birth? You can be grateful, but not proud! Personally I'm grateful to be British. I cannot say "wahder" and have difficulty making my fingers type color and recognize or skeptic- the most I've managed so far is to type: colour/color etc - LOL!

In the great scheme of things, does any of this truly matter? I think not.

As Noel Coward once said in that wonderfully lethargic posh British accent

"Everything matters.....but nothing matters terribly."
From pride in one's nationality it is only a short step to feeling superior. And history has taught us - and is till teaching us today - where that can lead, and it's nothing to be proud of.
Old May 15th 2006, 2:39 am
Who?

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
That's funny! Yesterday I was in Subway, and the guy asked what cheese I wanted. "American, Provalone or Swiss?"
"American" I said
"what? I can't hear you" he said
"American" I said a bit louder
"what?" he said
"American" I said even louder
"Mocha? " he said!!!
LOL
I know what to say now, next time I order cawfeee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.