Reload this Page >

Speculative job applications

Speculative job applications

Old Jan 13th 2004, 11:20 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default Speculative job applications

Hi everyone,

I thought that I would take the iniative to send a speculative job appliction to a number of U.S. employers in my industry. I'm currently going through the fiancee visa process, and all things permitting should be entering the U.S. as of this May on a K1.

What I guess I would like is advice from people who left Britain or Australia and are now living/working in the U.S. on what I need to modify (if anything) on this letter. Also if there are any Americans here that can give me their perspective on what I might need to change to help my chances on getting a job.

This is a rough draft, but hopefully you'll get the idea.

==============================================

Dear Sir or Madam,

Having researched your company quite extensively I would like to enquire as to whether you consider speculative job applications? I would like to explain my situation briefly. At the moment I work for a company called ***"My Company"*** based in ******, England. ***"My Company"*** is similar to ***"Your Company"*** in that it builds, develops and implements online recruitment and candidate management systems for small to large organizations. However our company is much smaller by comparison to ***"Your Company"***.

My current role in the company is that of a Systems Developer. I am directly involved in the planning, development, management and implementation of our online recruitment systems for all of our clients, some of these include; ******,*******,******,*******. My responsibilities include;

• Website and Graphic design
• Programming using a combination of ASP/VB , Java and SQL
• Customization of our online system to suit our clients needs including their existing recruitment and selection process
• Installation of our software product and database structure on remote servers (terminal services)
• Ongoing updates, maintenance and the continued development of our products
• Technical support to both clients and end users

I am technically proficient with web programming, database and server technologies outlined on my attached resume. I also hold a bachelors degree in Multimedia majoring in Web Development.

I will be moving to Milwaukee, Wisconsin this coming May to wed my American fiancée. I will have full work authorization within the U.S. as of May 20th when I will enter the country on an immigration visa.

I am ideally looking to work within a technically related role that involves; web development, project management or products sales / technical support role or any combination of these roles. I believe that my 3 years industry experience, as well as my international and educational experience would make me a vital asset to your company.

I would be grateful if you would contact me if you have any vacancies in your company, or keep my information on file in case of future openings. I would welcome hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Thanks in advance

James
Old Jan 13th 2004, 11:37 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Speculative job applications

Hi, James!

Great wording, but I really don't think it'd be a good idea to tell them that you'll have full work authorization in May. I know you want to stay upbeat and assume the best scenario, but you may have to wait for your SSN for a while before you can legally work, and if you don't get a work stamp at the POE, you'll need to apply for that too. If you tell an employer that you'll have all the necessary, and you don't, they may get the wrong idea about you, and they might think you deliberately deceived them.

If it were me, I'd just write the letter how you did, but don't be so specific on dates.

Kate. xxxxxxx
Old Jan 13th 2004, 11:55 am

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Hi, James!

Great wording, but I really don't think it'd be a good idea to tell them that you'll have full work authorization in May. I know you want to stay upbeat and assume the best scenario, but you may have to wait for your SSN for a while before you can legally work, and if you don't get a work stamp at the POE, you'll need to apply for that too. If you tell an employer that you'll have all the necessary, and you don't, they may get the wrong idea about you, and they might think you deliberately deceived them.

If it were me, I'd just write the letter how you did, but don't be so specific on dates.

Kate. xxxxxxx
Hi Kate,

Right so leave of the full work authorization bit. I actually plan on flying into new york on my K1, because from what i can tell they are the only ones who are an almost certainty on getting the work stamp.

You get your SSN after marriage right? Or at the embassy interview? Or do you need to apply for it once you land in the states on your K1?
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:05 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Hi Kate,

Right so leave of the full work authorization bit. I actually plan on flying into new york on my K1, because from what i can tell they are the only ones who are an almost certainty on getting the work stamp.

You get your SSN after marriage right? Or at the embassy interview? Or do you need to apply for it once you land in the states on your K1?

You need to apply for it once in the US and THAT is NOT instantaneous. You have to apply at the local SS office and have to be in their SAVE system. That may take a few weeks or a few.............
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:11 pm
Tanaats

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
says...
    >
<...>

Ok, it's just some tiny things, most of which amount to subtle
differences in American usage.

>
    >
    > Dear Sir or Madam,
    >
    >
    >
    > Having researched your company quite extensively I would like to enquire

"Inquire" would be the appropriate Americanism.

> as to whether you consider speculative job applications?
    > I would like to
    > explain my situation briefly. At the moment I work for a company called
    > ***"My Company"*** based in ******, England. ***"My Company"*** is
    > similar to ***"Your Company"*** in that it builds, develops and
    > implements online recruitment and candidate management systems for small
    > to large organizations.

Good work on American spelling, with the 'z' rather than an 's'.

> However our company is much smaller by
    > comparison to ***"Your Company"***.

I would drop the "much smaller" sentence. You've stated the criteria in
which you think they are similar, and that's enough.

>
    > My current role in the company is that of a Systems Developer. I am
    > directly involved in the planning, development, management and
    > implementation of our online recruitment systems for all of our clients,
    > some of these include;

End with colon rather than semicolon.

> ******,*******,******,*******. My
    > responsibilities include;

End with colon rather than semicolon.

>
    >
    > Website and Graphic design
    > Programming using a combination of ASP/VB , Java and SQL
    > Customization of our online system to suit our clients needs including
    > their existing recruitment and selection process
    > Installation of our software product and database structure on remote
    > servers (terminal services)
    > Ongoing updates, maintenance and the continued development of
    > our products
    > Technical support to both clients and end users
    > I am technically proficient with web programming, database and server
    > technologies outlined on my attached resume. I also hold a bachelors

bachelor's

> degree in Multimedia majoring in Web Development.

I start wondering "a degree from which institution?", but that's
probably in your resume.

> I will be moving to Milwaukee, Wisconsin this coming May to wed

"Marry". "Wed" sounds a bit old-fashioned to the American ear (well, to
this American ear anyway).

> my
    > American fiance'. I will have full work authorization within the U.S. as
    > of May 20th when I will enter the country on an immigration visa.

Perhaps "on a K-1 immigration visa". To avoid having their human
resources department wonder.

> I am ideally looking to work within a technically related role that
    > involves;

Colon rather than semicolon.

> web development, project management or products sales /
    > technical support role or any combination of these roles. I believe that
    > my 3 years industry experience, as well as my international and
    > educational experience would make me a vital asset to your company.
    > I would be grateful if you would contact me if you have any vacancies in
    > your company, or keep my information on file in case of future openings.
    > I would welcome hearing from you.

And, of course, you would also provide your contact information
somewhere when you aren't posting this on the Internet.

>Yours sincerely,

I would tend to add a sentence somewhere to the effect of "because of my
background I am quite comfortable and proficient in purely technical
roles as well as in roles involving client contact". Sometimes
companies are looking for techies who can intereact with ordinary humans
without resorting to grunting.

Well, it's a bunch of small stuff. Take it or leave it of course. I
think it's a clear cover letter, and is likely to get your resume read
by a hiring manager if a company is looking for that sort of skill set.

Good luck, and congratulations on your upcoming marriage,

Joe

Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:38 pm

Hi Kate,

The Embassy has nothing to do with the issuance of the SSN, unfortunately. (Shame, as I thought London was sooooo good! ) I got here on a Friday night and applied for my SSN on the Monday. They told me that they couldn't issue my number, as my details hadn't been updated in their system by USCIS. I had the work stamp from JFK, but it didn't make a jot of difference.

I then waited a couple of weeks, going for interviews for jobs in the meantime, and the employers all said they couldn't take me on without the SSN. I called SS again, and they still hadn't updated, so they told me to call again the next week. By this time, I was getting a bit cheesed off, so I pestered USCIS on their "helpline". I called a few times and spoke to a few different people, getting a different answer each time, but one officer told me I could take all my K1 docs to Miami USCIS and ask them to send verification to SS. I did so (camped out overnight, because the lines are diabolical), the lady there copied my stuff and said she'd send the info to SS right away. That was on a Friday, and the following Tuesday, I called SS and got my number over the phone.

Kate. xxxx

Last edited by katesuiter1; Jan 13th 2004 at 12:41 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:49 pm
Andy Platt

"tanaats" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I will be moving to Milwaukee, Wisconsin this coming May to wed
    > "Marry". "Wed" sounds a bit old-fashioned to the American ear (well, to
    > this American ear anyway).

I wonder if that's true in Wisconsin?

Andy.

--
I'm not really here, it's just your warped imagination

Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

I think its excellent that you are getting ahead of the game. So many people complain when they get here but have not done the legwork and reserarch you have.

That being said, do not expect one response. Companies that are hiring are hiring for the NOW, not the six months. As someone who has done recruiting, I think your resume will be tossed, not because you are not qualified but because you are not here.

Good luck.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 1:07 pm
Andy Platt

"DCMark" <member6276@british_expats.com> wrote:

> That being said, do not expect one response. Companies that are hiring
    > are hiring for the NOW, not the six months. As someone who has done
    > recruiting, I think your resume will be tossed, not because you are not
    > qualified but because you are not here.

That's a good point. A difference between the UK and the US is the lead time
for getting new employees (assuming you can find them). It is standard
practice in the US to give two weeks notice to your current employer when
you leave; in the UK it tends to be at least a month and, for some jobs,
three months. Recruiting takes this into account.

Having said, this timeline would be a bit much at the UK end too.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here, it's just your warped imagination

Old Jan 13th 2004, 1:15 pm

Thanks everyone for all your responses, especially Tanaats who proofed it paragraph by paragraph. All your recommendations and information are really useful.

I realise that this might all be for nothing, but you never know if you don't try. The recruitment company that I work for in the UK actually handles a number of different companys recruitment campaigns. Some of them have different methods for dealing with speculative applications, some get filed, some get forwarded to relevant departments, some get a blanket response asking them to apply to jobs by checking press/websites etc and others end up in the bin.

I hope to canvas a number of companys and do a mail shot. Whether this yields a positive response or not, I guess only time will tell.

Actually i'm lucky because my fiancee nanny's for a very influential family in Milwaukee. I'm met them a number of times on my visits, and they've vowed to help find me a job, or at least get my foot in the door as they know alot of the CEO's in Milwaukee. I've been told by my dad who lives/works there that its definately a country where its not "what you know, but who you know".

Thanks again,

James
Old Jan 13th 2004, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

I commend you for trying to get ahead of the game. That type of initiative will help you a great deal.

My specific comments about the letter, as someone who hires (although not in your field, obviously) are the same as everyone else's.

The sentence about "speculative resumes" bothers me. I don't know why, but it does. Especially following what is an ideal opening "I have researched your company extensively". Particularly with today's economy, many companies' HR departments have a strict "no unsolicited resumes" policy, meaning that when your resume comes in and there is no advertised position open, it gets canned.

The resumes that get looked at, despite these types of policies are those that (a) bypass HR entirely because they are addressed to the person who is in the position to make use of you and get you hired or (b) talk about why you are interested in working for *that* company, instead of creating the impression that you are just flooding the market with unsolicited resumes (even if you are). In other words, those resumes from people who say "Hey YOU - I like *your company* and want to work for YOU, not just anyone". That always makes people in charge feel good, and you're likely to get more than the average 2 seconds that is spent reading an unsolicited resume.

In the very first sentence of your letter, you start out with just that upbeat "Hi guys I know you" tone that is perfect. But then you do nothing with it other than end with a hiring downer "speculative resume". I'd find another way to say what you are trying to say - which is that you want consideration even if they don't have an advertised job at the moment.

You have a real structural advantage if you have your fiance's ability to access people for you. Get her to work *her* network, and get those CEO names so that you can get from those CEO's the names of the right people for you to be talking to - by e-mail or phone. Then send these letters to *those people*. Resumes from "friends of a friend" always get more than the default 2 seconds - just because people work that way. And thus are more likely to be successful.

I really like your style and attitude and wish you well.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 1:38 pm

Originally posted by Dekka's Angel
I commend you for trying to get ahead of the game. That type of initiative will help you a great deal.

My specific comments about the letter, as someone who hires (although not in your field, obviously) are the same as everyone else's.

The sentence about "speculative resumes" bothers me. I don't know why, but it does. Especially following what is an ideal opening "I have researched your company extensively". Particularly with today's economy, many companies' HR departments have a strict "no unsolicited resumes" policy, meaning that when your resume comes in and there is no advertised position open, it gets canned.

The resumes that get looked at, despite these types of policies are those that (a) bypass HR entirely because they are addressed to the person who is in the position to make use of you and get you hired or (b) talk about why you are interested in working for *that* company, instead of creating the impression that you are just flooding the market with unsolicited resumes (even if you are). In other words, those resumes from people who say "Hey YOU - I like *your company* and want to work for YOU, not just anyone". That always makes people in charge feel good, and you're likely to get more than the average 2 seconds that is spent reading an unsolicited resume.

In the very first sentence of your letter, you start out with just that upbeat "Hi guys I know you" tone that is perfect. But then you do nothing with it other than end with a hiring downer "speculative resume". I'd find another way to say what you are trying to say - which is that you want consideration even if they don't have an advertised job at the moment.

You have a real structural advantage if you have your fiance's ability to access people for you. Get her to work *her* network, and get those CEO names so that you can get from those CEO's the names of the right people for you to be talking to - by e-mail or phone. Then send these letters to *those people*. Resumes from "friends of a friend" always get more than the default 2 seconds - just because people work that way. And thus are more likely to be successful.

I really like your style and attitude and wish you well.
Thanks alot Dekka's Angel,

Your comments are really useful, i'm glad i've posted on here because all these brains are better than one!

So you think I should start out saying something like:

Having researched your company quite extensively and knowing that you are the market leader within the United States I would like to inquire as to whether you have any upcoming vacancies?
I also hope that whoever it is in the HR department will get excited by seeing the queen's head on the postage stamp.. LOL (i doubt it)

Last edited by mcjimbo; Jan 13th 2004 at 1:40 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 1:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Sir or Madam,

Having researched your company quite extensively I would like to enquire as to whether you consider speculative job applications?
My opinions: leave out the quite extensively. Not required. Inquire not enquire although you are not inquiring, you are actually sending in your resume for consideration. Not speculative but unsolicited

I would like to explain my situation briefly. At the moment I work for a company called ***"My Company"*** based in ******, England. ***"My Company"*** is similar to ***"Your Company"*** in that it builds, develops and implements online recruitment and candidate management systems for small to large organizations. However our company is much smaller by comparison to ***"Your Company"***.
Smaller how? And why add a further comparison when you have originally compared the two favorably.

My current role in the company is that of a Systems Developer. I am directly involved in the planning, development, management and implementation of our online recruitment systems for all of our clients, some of these include; ******,*******,******,*******. My responsibilities include;

• Website and Graphic design
• Programming using a combination of ASP/VB , Java and SQL
• Customization of our online system to suit our clients needs including their existing recruitment and selection process
• Installation of our software product and database structure on remote servers (terminal services)
• Ongoing updates, maintenance and the continued development of our products
• Technical support to both clients and end users
Why the term role? You have a position in the company. Think it would read better if you said "I am currently employed as a Systems' Developer which duties involve planning, deveopment ..... " Are these clients solely your responsibility? If not, if you prefer to drop names, do so in the paragraph where you decribe your company.

I am technically proficient with web programming, database and server technologies outlined on my attached resume. I also hold a bachelors degree in Multimedia majoring in Web Development.
Neither of these sentences are necessary simply because these attributes and skills are outlined in your resume.

I will be moving to Milwaukee, Wisconsin this coming May to wed my American fiancée. I will have full work authorization within the U.S. as of May 20th when I will enter the country on an immigration visa.
You do not know that you will be moving in May, 2004. You are hoping to. Nor will you have full work authorization on May 20th which is your anticipated date of arrival.

You, if lucky, will have authorization to work for only 90 days and then only if you have a social security card. The work authorization is a wild card and in light of that you might want to rethink sending off a letter such as this when you are not free to accept employment.

I am ideally looking to work within a technically related role that involves; web development, project management or products sales / technical support role or any combination of these roles. I believe that my 3 years industry experience, as well as my international and educational experience would make me a vital asset to your company.
Okay you gave them the ideal situation but what if they can't meet your ideal but have a position which does not fit perfectly into your dream. You are not giving them the opening to consider you for an position that you might be qualified for.

Also I feel that your reference to your international experience and education might put a few American noses out of joint. It comes across as demeaning the US education system.

[/quote]I would be grateful if you would contact me if you have any vacancies in your company, or keep my information on file in case of future openings. I would welcome hearing from you. [/quote]

I would say something like:

I wish to take this opportunity to thank you for any consideration you might give my unsolicited inquiry. While I understand I am not in the position at the moment to accept employment, it is my hope that you keep my resume on file for any positions you might have after May, 2004.

Yours sincerely,

Thanks in advance

James
Old Jan 13th 2004, 2:03 pm

I also hope that whoever it is in the HR department will get excited by seeing the queen's head on the postage stamp.. LOL (i doubt it)
Hehehehe!!!! That made me chuckle!!!

Kate. xxxxxxx
Old Jan 13th 2004, 2:33 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I've been sending out my resume just to get an idea of what sort of response I'd receive.

I've only been sending them to named people, rather than have it go into a slush pile. I haven't mentioned anything about the visa issue in the intro letter and have saved that for follow up phone calls. I've just phrased it that I'm relocating.

So far I'm doing ok with it all. I'm a long way off from getting an actual job offer let alone being able to act on it, but I'm a freelancer anyway so at this stage all I want to do is network.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.