Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Spectacles at Last

Spectacles at Last

Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Spectacles at Last

Well I suppose it had to happen sometime, but I went to the eye doctor today for a check up, and as I feared my eyes are beginning to fail me. My right eye is very weak, is beginning to fog up with the start of cataracts. My Left eye is better, but again cataracts are beginning to form. So I have had to buy some glasses for the first time ever. $200 for the specs, $90 for the doctor fees, and even with Insurance it took a tidy sum out of my bank balance.

I hate getting old!! :scared:
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Spectacles at Last

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
Well I suppose it had to happen sometime, but I went to the eye doctor today for a check up, and as I feared my eyes are beginning to fail me. My right eye is very weak, is beginning to fog up with the start of cataracts. My Left eye is better, but again cataracts are beginning to form. So I have had to buy some glasses for the first time ever. $200 for the specs, $90 for the doctor fees, and even with Insurance it took a tidy sum out of my bank balance.

It only gets more expensive from here on in. Welcome to the USA and the wonderful world of health scare.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

This thread can help with cheap spec....
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377395
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

And you happen to have what is probably the best doc in the country re: cataracts right down the road from you.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Spectacles at Last

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
And you happen to have what is probably the best doc in the country re: cataracts right down the road from you.
Really? Where? The Eye Doctor said I will be OK for a while, but then I will need to have the cataracts removed, maybe in a couple of years time.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Post Re: Spectacles at Last

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
This thread can help with cheap spec....
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377395
Have you tried them?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried them?

Actually, I haven't - I'm such a tight wad that I've had the same pair of glasses for 8 years... Two people on BE have, and one of my bestest friends bought two pairs.

The site was recommended by my ophthalmolgy (eye doctor) consultant while I was on placement.

I'm planning on buying some soon, some transition glasses....they change depending on the brightness of the light......or maybe some prescription sunnies so that I can drive with sunnies....
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Hurts doesn't it?!I've worn glasses since I was a kid,but after getting preg. with my first my hormones changed and I became allergic to all metal frames,so had to get plastic(scared of contacts until very recently!),came over here and discovered titanium frames!!!!!,a Godsend for me!...slightly expensive though........$275.... after the amount our insurance covered!!!!!...but only a $10 copay for each the exam and the lenses!!....luckily titanium frames have dropped a lot in price since then!!!.....wait til you hit the lined or no-line bi-focals age,there's something to look forward to!!!......Good luck!...Sophia
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

then that's pretty cheap

With insurance, I still had to fork out $120 for my lenses last year...insurance covered most of the cost of a frame that I used for shades, and the eye exam which was about $115 I think.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm planning on buying some soon, some transition glasses....they change depending on the brightness of the light......or maybe some prescription sunnies so that I can drive with sunnies....
Those transition lenses are a bit crap...they work with the level of UV, so when your in the car, or indoors, they won't work because the windows will absorb the UV.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Those transition lenses are a bit crap...they work with the level of UV, so when your in the car, or indoors, they won't work because the windows will absorb the UV.

Ooh ok Bob, thanks for that - proper prescription sunnies it will be then.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby has them...complains they don't go dark enough...but he would get them again.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 11:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hubby has them...complains they don't go dark enough...but he would get them again.
yeah, and there also slow to react, nothing like the tv ad's, though outdoors, they do work well, but when you need them the most, in a car, they hardly work at all...shame, as I was really considering getting them as well *l*
Old Oct 19th 2006, 12:50 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I just use polarized clip-ons for the sun. I used to use dark over-glasses, and I thought it would be worse when my cataracts were fixed. I thought more light would get in, but now the polarized are good enough. My cataracts appear to be the result of using an inhaler for emphysema.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 12:55 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I bought proper prescription sunnies for the first time this year. They are wonderful! One of the best things I've ever bought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.